CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:
The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

34 y.o. male, 5'9" / 176cm, 205 pounds / 93 kg.

I started CrossFitting in January, first WOD on January 23rd, 2008. My wife and I work out together: What doesn't kill Natasha Currently we're located in Nizwa, in the deserts / mountains inland in Oman, on the edge of the Empty Quarter between Oman and Saudi Arabia.

I wanted to start this log a few days ago, when I was still in a deep rut. For 5-6 weeks I saw declining performance; including a wrist injury, chronic shoulder pain, and my ankle, which was injured when I started CF, has been worse recently. This morning I did ok on Cindy, 24+ rounds, a PR by 3+ rounds, so I hope I'm back.

Several weeks ago I fixed my sleep schedule, which makes a big difference -- from November to April I was averaging 4-5 hours sleep a day in two shifts. Now I'm sleeping from 23 or 24:00 - 05:30, and we're doing workouts in the morning -- time zone = GMT +4, same as Muscat / Dubai / Baghdad.

More miscellaneous details:
  • I've been a type 1 diabetic for 14 years.
  • I follow a paleo diet plus dairy.
  • I love rock climbing, freediving, skiing, SCUBA
  • I couldn't run for 6 years, herneated disc at L4-5 and sciatica ended my first athletic career in my first year of college

Some performance benchmarks:
  • 400m = 63 seconds, 800m = 2:26, 5K = 20:10; 1/2 marathon in 1:31, marathon in 3:30, 57 miles (+4500 ft elevation) in 10:01:30
  • current squat = 355 pounds, deadlift = 415 pounds, press = 207 pounds, bench press = 345 pounds (old PR, pre-CF)
  • Lynne = 173, Nicole = 8 runs, 107 PU in 7 sets; Cindy = 24+ rounds; Murph = 35:29; Eva = 46:29;
  • 500m row in 1:27, 1000m row in 3:24
  • AMRAP pull-ups = 32+... I haven't really tried, can probably get 36.

MetCon and gymnastics are very important to me. When I see a guy like Pat Barber (sp?) -- or any of the CF stars, for that matter -- I feel pathetic for being so big and muscular, and seeing them squat and deadlift more than me. Ugh. A guy like AFT (Brett Marshall) at 5'5", looks like a shrimp compared to me, but he can deadlift more than I can.

My favorite WOD is Nancy. I did it in 13:13, but with 100 pounds (RX is 95).

One day soon, next time I try it, I think you'll see me post a sub-3 Grace.

I have some considerable weaknesses:
I can't open my hips when doing power clean; I seem to do ok in hang power snatches. My vertical leap is crap -- 23 inches when I measured 3+ months ago, from a standstill.
I've got some big flexibility issues, my rack position is crap (hence the wrist injury!) - I can't get my elbows up. I've just started trying to treat this weakness, stretch and train for it. My injured right ankle causes me some problems and I can't really stretch it, so I can do pistols on my left, but not my right.

I fear my sprinting is slow and I really want to train for 40 speed and 100m.

GOALS:
  • sub-60 400 meter, sub 2:10 800m, sub 5:00 mile, sub 19:30 5k
  • tabata backflips
  • start training with kettlebells!
  • 15 x bodyweight OHS
  • complete Linda... the only CF WOD I DNF'd
  • 50 reps of pull-ups

Most importantly, however, I want the satisfaction and success of creating a program that transforms people's lives, developing abilities they didn't know they had, and enabling natural athleticism to reveal its potential. I love teaching people, and I love seeing them drive themselves hard and succeed.

But I hate sounding like a freaking beauty pageant contestant. Oh well, I meant what I said.

I set foot in the United States again --- home, home! --- on July 3rd.
Gonna get beat senseless at the CF Games. If I finish in the top 150, I'll drink my first beer in more than a year. I'm a wild man like that.

What I'm proud of? I recognized the value of CF instantly because I'd been looking for it all my life. What I love? Being surrounded by people that are better than me, that I can look up to. This makes CF a great place to be.

Last edited by Kirez Reynolds : 05-17-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add a link to Tash!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:
Re: The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Let the good times begin !

Congrats on that Cindy PR, you're definitely back.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Hey Kirez, how does the Paleo diet work for you as a type I diabetic? I ask because my son is a type I as well (for 10 years, he's 17 now), and I'd like to get him onto something better than counting carbs. I haven't been eating paleo, but I have been eating zone portions at least, and I'm trying to figure out how to get my household on this without it being too painful...
Old 05-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Hey Steve. Wow, I'd love to hear about your son joining you on CF.

I hate IDDM so much. I want to see a cure.

You know, I've made a few radical changes in my life, so it's hard to say which causes exactly I must attribute results to --- but yes, I think paleo is helping me dramatically. I've been expriencing MUCH less variance in my BGs. The solid schedule also is making a huge difference (the other radical change).

I'm curious: Do you, or does your son, every measure -- i.e. get an actual number -- for variance or standard deviation? If you think it through, this is one of the most important variables you can measure in your son's blood sugar patterns, but endos and diabetic educators don't focus on it.

I just wrote an article on the basic nuts-and-bolts of diabetic BG & insulin management -- you can see it here: http://www.vcrossfit.com/diabetes-101/

Honestly, I think paleo diet is an absolute must for a diabetic. It will help maintain his insulin sensitivity, which is critical, and I wouldn't approach CrossFit any other way.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
Natalia Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Smith View Post
I'd like to get him onto something better than counting carbs.
Stephen, paleo diet will definitely be a better choice for your son, but don't be mislead - he will have to count carbs anyway. Less carbs doesn't mean no carbs, no 'bad carbs' still leaves us with 'good carbs' which need to be counted.

Also, at the age of 17, he is experiencing huge hormonal changes which will have an influence on insulin sensitivity and probably will alter the control - maybe not the best time to switch to a radically new diet. Make it slow and easy.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

intense sprints & push-ups have been lacking.

Pandora
10 rounds
50 m sprint
10 push-ups
for time.

I did it in 4:03.

It kicked the holy hell out of my lungs. The second time in CF I've gotten that spasmic cough.

Temperature outside is 46 degrees; we were the only lifeforms stirring, blazing hot.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 AM   #7
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirez Reynolds View Post
intense sprints & push-ups have been lacking.

Pandora
10 rounds
50 m sprint
10 push-ups
for time.

I did it in 4:03.

It kicked the holy hell out of my lungs. The second time in CF I've gotten that spasmic cough.

Temperature outside is 46 degrees; we were the only lifeforms stirring, blazing hot.
I was feeling the spasms in my chest during the push-ups, it was a crazy feeling !

We make a good trio on here, this is going to be fun
Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 AM   #8
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Welcome to the logs Kirez. It will be great to have another person for some competition. I find it helps immensely in the intensity i hit my workouts, especially when its the first time and I have no time to beat.

Very impressive lifting Stats!!! Especially your SP and BP! I thought i had a fairly decent BP but not anymore. Actually before finding Crossfit i thought i was the only person who run and lifted big (ish) weights!! As you said its fantastic to be in the company of such great athletes, gymnasts etc etc....

'Pandora' tonight for me,'
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

I didn't stop coughing for 10 hours after Pandora, and hacked a few times this morning as well; went to bed with a fever. Ooops.

I made a little tool -- popular name for these is "widgets" right now -- on our web site; it's a random quotes collection. I've put great quotes from Coach Glassman, Rippetoe, and other good sources on there. I love this widget! People brand new to crossfit can sit there hitting the "next quote!" link, and another nugget of great fitness insight comes up. If I were new to CF sites, I'd sit there clicking it until I was absolutely sure I'd seen every possible quote. At least it will appeal to geeks like me.

I just added these two tonight:

Quote:
Waiting until soreness subsides before doing the next workout is a good way to guarantee that soreness will be produced every time, since you’ll never get adapted to sufficient workload frequency to stop getting sore.

-- Rippetoe, Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training p. 311
and

Quote:
Soreness, unless it is extreme, is no impediment to training. In fact, many records have been set by sore athletes. If you are not training hard enough to produce occasional soreness, and therefore having to train while sore, you are not training very hard.
Thanks for the welcome, Scott. I feel really bad I've been dragging behind you guys.

I've involuntarily switched back to my old schedule of working out at night. I couldn't move the last two mornings at 5:30 a.m.

Though it was 21:30, the temp outside was 42 degrees.

in 20 minutes, do max rounds of:
  • 95# clean and jerk
  • 400 m run

I got 6 rounds in 19:10.

The run is rest between the C&J. I stopped twice and walked on my 400s.

A little miscommunication between my wife and me, I thought I only had 1:37 to run my last 400m, so I went all out and had nothing left to continue with the next set of C&J.
My C&J were mostly Clean and Press. :-( I focused on good form about 1/2 the time. I can't do squat cleans, really, still poor rack position, so they were all power cleans.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Oh yeah --- I did the "********** Warm Up" --- we do the track runs in this huge, grand football stadium that is just sitting out in the middle of the desert, almost completely unused, but maintained in pristine condition by an army of indian & pakistani slaves who live in plywood shanties next to it.

It's closed at night, of course; and for that matter at 5:45 a.m. if we do a morning workout there. So we drive to the furthest corner of the stadium grounds, as far from the security shack as we can get, and climb over the 10' gates, then walk to the stadium, usually we can get to the track without climbing again.

Tonight this involved walking and climbing with the 50 pounds of weights in my backpack on my back, and the barbell on my shoulders with my arms hanging on it -- the crucifix. The ********** Warm Up. And cool down.

Tonight I thought of Eric Brandom who did Murph with 60 pounds of potting soil bags in his backpack, and I was humbled. That's gonna take a while for me to work up to.