CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Chris Stroud

Profile:
Broken Clavicle

My Crossfit Training was going great for about 6 months (which was logged here http://crossfitter.blogspot.com/) and last weekend I broke my left clavicle last weekend. Can someone give me advice or resources and the most efficient and fasted way to recover? Thank you in advance.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Broken Clavicle

Rest, ice, do your PT faithfully, and stay away from all movements that cause any pain at all for a couple of months (yeah, that sux) (and that's months, not weeks).

Somewhere after that, you may be able to do things that cause very mild pain while exercising (MILD!), as long as it stops when you stop the exercise. If you do stuff that hurts, and the hurt persists after the workout, you did too much, and probably set yourself back.

In the meantime, experiment like heck to find out what you *can* do (that's pain-free). Can you run? Can you use a stationary bike? (I bet you can do this). Can you do free squats? Can you do one-arm pushups on the other side (maybe, maybe not). Do as much as you can WITHOUT PAIN!

Depending on your age and perspective, having to take an extended break from hard workouts will be difficult. All I can offer is that you *will* come back, and come back sooner if you're not stupid about overdoing it. I had to take almost 18 months off serious CrossFitting for a torn-up shoulder. It was very frustrating, and 3 months into serious training again (after surgical repair), I'm still finding gaps in my capacity. But it is possible to train again, and if you train around the injury (intelligently), you *won't* lose everything.

But yeah, it sux. You have my sympathies.

Oh, yeah . . . and . . . I moved this to "Injuries"

Last edited by David Wood : 02-27-2008 at 05:10 PM.