CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Dwayne Fishel

Profile:
Newb looking for workouts...

Hey All...Been lurking for a couple weeks, am anxious to start gradually working into the crossfit methodologies. I'd like to start by just doing some of the crossfit workouts on my regular workout days. I found a link to some workout archives in one of the journals, but the link was dead. I suppose I could just work into the WOD's, but I think I'd just to start by picking from a list. Anywhere I can get a list of workouts? I saw a few old WOD's somewhere on the site, but not a comprehensive list..Can anyone point me to a list of workouts?

Thanks much!

Dwayne
Old 01-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: Newb looking for workouts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Fishel View Post
Hey All...Been lurking for a couple weeks, am anxious to start gradually working into the crossfit methodologies. I'd like to start by just doing some of the crossfit workouts on my regular workout days. I found a link to some workout archives in one of the journals, but the link was dead. I suppose I could just work into the WOD's, but I think I'd just to start by picking from a list. Anywhere I can get a list of workouts? I saw a few old WOD's somewhere on the site, but not a comprehensive list..Can anyone point me to a list of workouts?

Thanks much!

Dwayne
Welcome, as a newbie please remember to scale and scale. You can use www.simplefit.org or even the scaling on brandX which is linked off the CFKids!
Links are w/f/s
Old 01-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

The only list that I'm aware of is of the "Named" WODs in the Examples/Demos section. This isn't a comprehensive list, so you may just be out of luck on that one.

I think Sarena's suggestions are spot on, and probably a wiser choice for someone just starting. Best bet would probably be to scale the WODs as they pop up on the front page (see BrandX for easy scalings), or, again like Sarena mentioned, get your body used to the stresses by starting out with some SimpleFit workouts for a few weeks before diving into the CrossFit WODs.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Wade Miller

Profile:

Dwayne,

Welcome,

Take the time to read FAQ's, Exercises and Demos, and Start Here all which are located on the main page. This will help with a lot of your basic questions.

You can scale the WOD from the main page by decreasing weight, time, and/or rounds.

Keep asking questions...

All the best,

Wade

www.midohiocrossfit.com
Old 01-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Dwayne Fishel

Profile:

Thanks all, maybe a little additional background on me FWIW. I've been "weight training" for a long time, played a little college football, competed in bodybuilding (drug free) and powerlifted a little (worked with and learned form from several experienced powerlifters and USAPL judges). I got this link (crossfit) from a post over on a mountain bike forum (mtbr). I mountain bike a lot and commute to work from time to time, and have ridden 100 miles on the road. Not new to pushups, dips, and pull-ups, but at 240-ish lbs, I am not doing as many reps as I could/should be. I've done some tumbling and other stuff in some workouts, burpees, turkish get ups, one arm and full clean and press, medicine ball work, and some others that I can't remember....I am really just looking to be more fit, and honestly I am bored. It's been a while since I have been stoked to go workout.

A couple current limitations/considerations. I ride my bike several times a week (and won't be stopping that any time soon!!), either as a commute or for training, or for fun. I generally do some other workouts 3 times a week, and for now, at the gym at the place I work. Yeah, it's a corporate joint, but it's pretty decent, and it's where I gotta train right now, based on funds and time (little one at home...).

Thanks again, I am still reading and will check out the above recommendations. I will surely have more questions as I move along. I appreciate the help!

Dwayne
Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Scroll down the main page. Find the "Workout Archives" on the right panel. Click. EVERY workout from the history of the site is there...conveniently linked, cleverly labeled.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #7
Dwayne Fishel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Pitts View Post
Scroll down the main page. Find the "Workout Archives" on the right panel. Click. EVERY workout from the history of the site is there...conveniently linked, cleverly labeled.
Ah yes, they are cleverly labeled...thanks. I'll do some clicking...
Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I don't really understand why you would not use the posted WOD and scale it back as necessary? One of the main points and pleasures of CF.com is the posted WOD, the "surprise" of what you are going to do tomorrow (you mentioned you were bored with your pre-cf routine), the variety, the free coaching, etc. Simply picking from a list seems to defeat the purpose, at least to me, unless you are working on some weakness. However, I think picking from the list would make you more apt to avoid your weakness while doing the Rxd WOD will force you to confront your weakness. You can always work on your weaknesses/skill pre-wod or on rest days. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Dwayne Fishel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I don't really understand why you would not use the posted WOD and scale it back as necessary? One of the main points and pleasures of CF.com is the posted WOD, the "surprise" of what you are going to do tomorrow (you mentioned you were bored with your pre-cf routine), the variety, the free coaching, etc. Simply picking from a list seems to defeat the purpose, at least to me, unless you are working on some weakness. However, I think picking from the list would make you more apt to avoid your weakness while doing the Rxd WOD will force you to confront your weakness. You can always work on your weaknesses/skill pre-wod or on rest days. Just my 2 cents.
I agree, you make good points. I was thinking as a way to work into CF concepts (in addition to scaling) would be to see what some of the workouts are and try them now for a couple weeks and then start hitting scaled WOD's. I generally do M-W-F workouts with Tuesday and Thursday rest or riding one of my bikes. My concern with M-W-F would be getting all the bodyparts during that week considering CF is more of a 3 day on schedule compared to my M-W-F. What if the WOD on M-W-F is rest? I'll need to pick something....

I guess I am trying to get my head around it (do I change my schedule to match CF WOD's or what), it's quite a break from what I have been doing....

In any event, I did 'Diane' today. Never done a HSPU (that I can remember anyway), so figured it would be fun. I didn't time it, and I used 185 for the deads as I haven't done them in a while. I got all the reps for deads, a little winded on the 21 rep set, and I did 12-10-8 with someone holding my legs for the HSPU's. I finished with some sprints and a few minutes of core medicine ball work. I liked it.