CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Joshua Williams

Profile:
Weight Gain?

I've been doing the Crossfit WOD's for 3 - 4 weeks now. Weight loss was not my goal, so it's not really an issue, but I've gained 6 lbs since starting. I went from 197 - 203. My diet has been reasonable, so I don't think that it's fat.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are my muscles so freaked out by this new type of workout that they are reacting? For those of you who may have had similar experiences, what happened in the next few months?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Weight Gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Williams View Post
My diet has been reasonable
Please elaborate on that.

caloric excess -> weight gain
caloric deficit -> weight loss
Training, sleep, nutrition, and genetics control whether the weight is fat or muscle.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Please elaborate on that.
Seconded.

If you didn't have much muscle to begin with, it might just be your body getting up to a good level of muscle mass.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
Tom Fetter

Profile:

My weight went up 5 pounds in the first month, down 5 pounds in the next and stayed at that weight for about 4 months. In the last month I've dropped another 5 pounds - correlating with skipped meals (and some skipped WODs) due to a crazy office work load. Body composition has changed a lot throughout, and still is.

I think you've prolly gained a bit of muscle, and probably have also been eating more. In the first month or so, I was ravenous! Your body's trying to figure out what the balance point of size/fat/muscle can be, given what you feed it and what demands you're making of it. Even if you change nothing in workout intensity and diet, this will prolly take a few months to stabilize. If you tweak your diet in the meantime, your performance and body adaptation curve will probably last longer.

Once things do stabilize, you get to evaluate what comes next. The advanced people 'round here say that tweaking the diet (quality and quantity) is the most important thing to support further performance improvements, and to change body size up or down. I'm not there yet, but I can begin to see what they're talking about.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Marie Peters

Profile:

I'm a girl, so I don't know if it is as applicable. I started crossfit at a healthy weight- around 138-140lbs, 5'10". I never lost weight in the process, instead I gained it. I gained ~5lbs in the first month. Then ~3lbs in the second month. I am going into my 4th month now, and it has been constant for the past month at around 148/149. My diet has stayed constant throughout the process.

I can tell you, for me at least, that I have for sure gained muscle mass. It seems that my body grew the muscles it needed to sustain itself best during my heavy exercise. Since then, I have just gotten stronger but have not gained weight again. I have noticed that I have less fat and a lot more muscle definition. So I did lose the extra fat I had, but the muscle gain resulted in a weight gain.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
Joshua Williams

Profile:

Thank you everyone for the responses. To answer the questions about diet, my wife is a registered dietitian and she has assured me that my meals have been very reasonable (lots of baked chicken, ground turkey, skim milk, whole grains, vegetables.........when she forces me, etc.) I have experienced the ravenous appetite, so admittedly I have eaten more.

I have noticed increased muscle tone, it's just weird to see the needle on the scale move up at the same time. It's comforting to see that there are others on here that have experienced the weight gain as well. From reading the comments on the WOD's it appeared that most of the guys on here are in the 160 - 180lb range for 5'10" - 6'0", and at 6'0" I'm blowing past 200 like it's my job.

I'll try to get a hold of a set of calipers just to confirm what's going on with my body composition.