CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I've considered posting this for a few days, and I would like to hear the opinions of everyone on two things.

1. What do you think the best test of fitness is? (Military, Law Enforcement, Proffesional sport perfromance test ex. NFL Test, Specific atheletic events based on fitness test, and anything else that would qualify as a test)

2. If you don't find any tests to be a true test of fitness, which I don't believe I do, how would you construct a fitness test that would express all parameters equally and realistically? Also if Crossfit were to have a comprehensive fitness test (solely for the purpose to measure oneself) what would it be? (I know that the last question is a contradiction, but humor me I'm just curious to hear from everyone.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
April 2003 Crossfit Journal contains Crossfit fitness tests and scoring. It also has "A Better Warmup". Well worth the price of admission and will completely answer your question.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Yeah I have it and read it. It doesn't answer my question. I was just asking the forum to comment on previously established fitness test and their efficacy. Also I wanted the members to comment of their idea of a crossfit fitness test. Sorry if I wasn't specific enough.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Jason:

I don't think this gets exactly at your point, but I use a couple of specific WODs from days past, and one that I created on my own, as regular "tests" (or, more accurately, "checkpoints") on my "performance monitor".

I track my performance over time on those specific workouts . . . when they improve, I know I'm getting somewhere. When they degrade (which, alas, is the current situation), well, there's no denying it.

The two I use most faithfully over time:

1) a WOD from April 2003: 3 rounds of a) 400 m run b) 15 DL holding BW, and c) 20 box jumps (24" box). Any time under 15 minutes is great (for me). Between 15 and 16 is good. 16-17 is ok. More than 17 is not good.

2) a workout made up one day when no weights were available: 5 rounds of a) 20 squat thrusts b) "double-up" rope climb c) 20 shots wall-ball (20 lb ball), and d) 2 "suicides" (basketball court line drill).
For this workout, I'm still trying to get consistently under 25 minutes for 5 rounds (this is a real aerobic gasper (for me)). I think 20 minutes is likely to be my upper bound of performance on this one (when I'm in super shape).

I realize that these won't be everyone's cup of tea . . . but they're the metric I use to test my condition.

Dave
Old 03-09-2004, 01:24 AM   #5
Ahmed Moussa

Profile:  
Jason,

There seem to be a few tests that I have relied on as old faithful for seeing where I stand.

1. The 2 mile test. My fastes to date was three days ago ata time of 12:42. This is down from a time in the mid 15's. This test seems to be the best determiant in my aerobic power.

2. This one seems to be the benchmark because it packs sucha "metabolic whallup" that it has alawys left me gassed beyond belief. I forgot the lady name but the 5 pullups 10 pushups and 15 squats on the minute for 30 minutes. I still havent accomplished all 30 rounds but im almost there, with 23.

3. Another lady, 21-15-9 with 95lb. thrusters and pullups. My entire body quivers at the site of this workout because of the demand on the shoulder girdle. I believe any time under 9-10 mins is excellent.

It seems that Crossfit enjoys using 3 rounds of the 400m run, 21 1.5 pood KB swings and 12 pullups as their benchmark. Greg A. and Dave LEys Ive heard are artists in motion during this one. I believe there was a post by JAson Highbarger commenting on these athletes approach towards that workout. Well, im sure i could go off on every workout possible, becaue every single one is a true measure of fitness over time when they;re repeated months later. its always fun noting the improvements in time, i guess until i start digressing, which we wont allow.:biggrin:
Old 03-09-2004, 11:55 AM   #6
Kris Freeman

Profile:
Interesting Prospect. A Crossfit PFT. That would be great! If coach or any Crossfitter's have any idea on a PFT that would evenly test all aspects of athleticism, post that bad boy. I feel that would be a better test of functionality and ability than the standard PFT of Pull-ups, crunches, 3 mile run. I'm not bashing the PFT, but how it relates to battlefield survival.
Kris
Old 03-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
These are all awesome challenges with an emphasis on strength-endurance and stamina. Here are a few from the power world to consider.

-125% Bodyweight Clean & Jerk X 1 RM
-100% Bodyweight Overhead Squat x 15 – per Dan John. Very difficult at 44 years of age)
-120% of Bodyweight Pull-ups x 5 Reps
-150% of Bodyweight Back Squat x 1 RM (Chu said this puts an athlete in the 90th percentile)

I also recall a puke inducing 1 mile run/bodyweight bench press x 30 reps/1 mile run for time.

LIVE STRONG!

RUTMAN
Old 03-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #8
John Frazer

Profile:
Check out the US Army World War 2 fitness test -- I think someone posted a link here recently, and there may still be a link on the Army Physical Fitness School page.

IIRC, it included pushups, straight-legged situps, squat jumps, pullups and a shuttle run. I don't think there was a time limit for the calisthenics -- just crank 'em out until you drop. I also don't think there was a prescribed order of events -- to allow for running multiple platoons at once.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:39 PM   #9
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Great input everyone. I think two great resources are the original Hoffman standards (you can find them on Dan John's site, and old fitness tests for school kids that you can find on the Fight Training homepage.

I definitely think that if Crossfit were to develop an overall PFT that it would include doing the powerlifts, the olympic lifts, and some of the compound body movements dips, pullups etc., all while at a high heart rate induced by running, rowing, and or high rep kettlebell work. Swimming and biking could be included. Unfortunately, as I'm sure others will say, the nature of measuring all around fitness including different energy systems and the mutltitude of other various tests (i.e. 1 rep max, #'s of pullups/dips/pushups, and everything else) is probably impossible. Maybe the answer is the construction of various tests and the combination of the scores of all of them. However, the possibilities are endless.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #10
Kris Freeman

Profile:
Jason,
that last part about different tests for a combined total score makes the most sense to me. I'll be busy for the next couple days thinking of a few options for sure!
Train Hard, fight easy!
Kris