CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #41
John Velandra

Profile:
As a business owner, professional, and someone who listens to hard music in my player, I am becoming more hesitant to direct people to the videos specifically due to the lyrics. If I show them, they are always muted - I don't find them professional - something coach does think about for being a trainer....

I listen to these songs for MY wods, but feel they are inappropriate for others to be subjected to, especially someone who may not know what we are about and decides to see that as a major stumbling block.

We don't need to cow down to the moral majority, but we do need to respect others... Right now, that is not happening with the music selection.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #42
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Tony,
I'm sorry about that. It's been about four years now, but I thought they sent you a new copy of that DVD. I apologize for that.
Also, I wasn't trying to make fun of you in any way. You're doing a great job. The lyrics don't bother me at all, but some people do have a point about putting a NSFW disclaimer on them.
Keep up the good work,
Tyler

Old 04-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #43
Dwight Deckard

Profile:
Garrett, Roger, Dale and Rene get my vote as well.

It seems that the standard here on the message board is very different from that of the front page - why the difference?

I say change the music standard, offer a NWFS label, or loosen up on the board. Some consistency is called for.

Tony, as Lewis asked, has anyone threatened to leave if the music is toned down, or did it just read well while you were posting?

Old 04-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #44
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Michael (Lynn):
To reply to your post. You quoted me as follows:

"Dale, you said:
"toughen up" and "turn the volume down" are not convincing responses.

but then you go on to say:
For my own part, rarely do I ever use an iPod or music when working out

I’m confused how turning the volume off is any different than having no music at all. The only sound that would be left would be that of the individual(s) working out, and even then I can guarantee you that some profanity will slip in. That PR on your squat or when you're 30 seconds away from your 20 minutes, I know I got to let out something to make room for some more hurt."

Talk about misquoting or selective quoting. Reread my full post. Because I said:
“for my own part, rarely do I ever use an IPod or music when working out - I'm too busy flailing around to have one stay on me.

I am also in part addressing the earlier comments in the thread about the music being “inspirational” (Kurt Holm), or the Lawrence Welk reference by Greg Varga, or the Kenny G crack (Brian Cornwell); all people, to me, who have just recently come here and now are telling some of us who have been coming here for a bit longer that we ought to just hit our mute buttons and “lighten up”.

Moreover, you can see how my post exactly anticipates what Nick says later: that the music is somehow necessary for the working out. Remember what we’re talking about – I said I own the Nickelback album – the issue is not about what you play when you’re working out. I don’t care. It’s about the background tracks on the instructional videos or demo videos. I’m not watching those while I work out. Those are meant for people coming to this site to watch to learn how the workout is done – and perhaps inspire those who already know. Instructional videos have been a great resource to this CF community and frequently requested item back in the day when people were uncertain what the workout was exactly.

So, toughen up and turn the volume down ARE NOT convincing responses to the points I made both on the main site’s WoD comments and above, particularly regarding affiliates and CF trainers who recommend this site. And non-trainers, like me. I have recommended CF to virtually everyone I know; there was a time, pre-recent MTV videos, that I could do this without hesitation. I can’t do that now, or I have to be selective in who I recommend. Or I have to send them with the caveat about the music.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #45
Justin Arnest

Profile:
I love Crossfit.
I do not like the foul music. It is not music I choose to listen to and support financially.
I don't want to tell people how to run their business, unless they ask me, but since were talking about it...
I try to encourage everyone I meet and know to make their health and fitness a priority.
I USED TO always recomend the site.
I can not recommend the site to many people because my endorsement of the site may be considered condoning the use of music I do not want their to be any chance of me condoning.
I USED TO encourage young people I know; my brothers, sisters, nephews, and nieces, neighbors kids, etc. to visit the site to get inspired.
The inspiration is not worth the polluting imagery.
What are we condoning as acceptable? Everything?
Have you considered your own blanket acceptance of everything?
Rock on, do whatever you want, but I won't be passing out Kool Aid to as many people nor drinking as much anymore myself.

"An unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

Old 04-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #46
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
And ANOTHER THING!! (Kidding.) I had to split up these replies. Too long.

Tony, I appreciate you coming on and at least addressing the issue. Thanks for that much. I agree with John however (good to see your pic, bro!) that I don’t see this as caving to political correctness and that seems to me to be a rather stubborn response. I am certain some people love the clips, and obviously, some people hate them. You can’t please everyone. But given that this site and its owners have always been about conducting themselves a cut above, of demanding a higher standard on the comments page and on the Boards, and they are closely associated with the Military/LEO community - both of which also hold themselves to a much higher ethical standard - doesn’t some of the music simply seem gratuitous? I mean, CF’s core demographic seems to me to be high class individuals, military and law enforcement professionals – and you believe they will hit the bricks because you stop playing Buck Cherry-type music tracks? Maybe I’m wrong. I came into ROTC in 1987, commissioned since 1991, and my experience tells me virtually the opposite. I know, some of the boys will want to hear the music, but I would be surprised if they say “I’ll quit CF if I don’t get my f-bombs in the background.” Maybe it's because I'm an officer. I just believe that we frequently get from people what we expect from them. And I also believe that actions speak louder than words. There some clearly mixed signals here. Saying "we love our CF gals" and "we treat them with dignity" and then putting tracks on like Buck Cherry send very different messages - and justifying it by saying "the women in question approved this" does NOT answer the mail by a long shot. As great as those gals are, they don't speak for all women. Their approval doesn't undo the message.

Finally, people were coming to the site long before these background tracks were posted. With all due respect, I don’t think CF traces its burgeoning success to the music selections behind the videos.

I will say this, though. I think the videos are great. They are inspiring. I don’t mind the music (as I have said before). I just question its necessity, business savvy, and professionalism, on this site. As a member of this community, and someone who promotes CF to everyone I can, it concerns me. I’m not going anywhere no matter how this plays out. But it will certainly change who I commend to this site and it certainly changes my opinion somewhat of what CF is all about if the only response is “if you don’t like it, leave.” As someone who contributes to this community in the small way that I can, I am offering my thoughts on the matter for what they are worth.

Dale

Old 04-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #47
Pierre Auge

Profile:
I don't think Tony needs to add further explanation to his comment take it for what it is.

I find it odd the crap I hear on the radio is often far worse then what I heard in that song and thats public freakin radio...

In fact here in ottawa that particular song is on the radio several times daily. Hmmm culturally I guess we're different.

Something I've come to notice about the women of crossfit, they're thicker skinned (not just on the hands) than the average. Odd we listen and sing along to these songs in our homes and in our cars but when it becomes public its suddenly offensive, interesting.

Somebody who offends CrossFitters on a regular basis had a great point when he was working on a rant about Matt Furey -

We don't have the right to not be offended!

At the same time an NWFS lable might be a good idea in the future. Not my decision though...

(Message edited by brutebsd on April 28, 2007)

Old 04-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #48
Tom Whalen

Profile:
Tony, how did those lyrics get matched to that particular WO? Why not put them w/ the Wall Ball guys on 4/23 or the Nancy gents on 4/28? :-)

Seriously, those words do not belong on a site frequented by the wide range of people devoted to or interested in the magic of CF.

"The site is free", "you hear worse on the radio", "turn the volume off before playing CF videos", "the women had no problem w/ it" don't really cut it.

Please reconsider pairing music w/ lyrics you know a bunch of CrossFitter will find inappropriate w/ your otherwise wonderful videos.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #49
Kurt Holm

Profile:
So, if I'm sometimes offended by the Rest Day posts should they be removed? They have NOTHING to do with fitness after all.

Again, thank you to the Glassmans, Tony and everyone else involved in providing us an invaluable service for free. I for one am willing to accept the good with the bad.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #50
Fran Mason

Profile:
I haven't read this whole thread so I hope I don't sound like a dummy.

I think picking songs with clean lyrics could be a positive choice even though it would also feel annoyingly PC to those making the videos. Fitness and strength are positive things and I have a more positive attitude since getting into CrossFit. More positive music seems appropriate to me. On the other hand I'm glad we can express opinions here and people can disagree.

I like the fact that some of the men on this board are concerned about misogynistic or violent or otherwise negative music and that they will take the time to say so. Back in the '80s it was always a woman expressing that opinion and being not taken seriously.

Closed Thread