CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-14-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
Michael Hayes

Profile:  
I started incorporating CrossFit WOD's into my workouts about 3 weeks ago. Prior to that I was doing a lot of KB and O'lift movements and I do some additional stuff for golf;i.e. rotational drills and swinging a swing fan. I have commented previously that at 53 yrs. young I am progressively hitting the bar farther, while my friends, my age and younger, bemoan the fact that they just don't hit it like they used to. Well, the snow in NJ has finally melted and I got to play golf over the weekend for the first time in about 5 weeks. I was shocked at how far I was hitting the ball and how I had to slow everything down because my hips were rotating so fast. I was was, with little effort, cranking drives well over 300 yards. I realize that 3 weeks of CrossFit WOD doesn't provide results that fast, but I think that in addition to what I have already been doing, it is taking my training to another level that is quite frankly, scary. Please don't take this as bravado, as I am daily humbled in the presence of my Creator. Just want to pass along positive results.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Great results! Thanks for posting.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Ron Nelson

Profile:
You know what's funny about most golfers? Most drive the carts instead of walking the course.
I stopped playing when my friends insisted on riding when I preferred walking.
Good job Mike! Walk the course when they reopen!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #4
Larry Cook

Profile:
Michael,

Very nice. I had some decent improvement in my golf game last year, and mainly for the reason you mention but with a slightly different application. I really noticed a big change in my ability to get my hips through the hitting area (like you), and while I did gain some distance, I noticed a real improvement in the consistency of my ball striking. I was hitting my irons stiff much more consistently ... I broke 80 for the first time at age 44. A stronger and more flexible core makes a big difference as does a solid lower body. The real interesting thing is that my practice time was way down (probably goes down even further this year!) ... I'm just hoping to keep it respectable out there.

Larry