CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-22-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Heres a question that I am not sure is in the old posts (cant find, or too dumb to find it) Anyway, I have a guy that works out with me, and due to some severe ankle sprains, and improper PT afterwords, whenever we do any Oly lifts or OH squats, he cant balance, due to his heels not being able to stay flat on the deck. When he goes A to A, they come right up, and he is balancing on his toes and arches, which you can all imagine, leads to some balance issues when under a bar with weight on it. Any ideas how to work some flexibility back into his ankles? Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I doubt it's ankle so much as it is chest/shoulder/hip/hamstring flexibility. Is he wearing O-lift shoes? They really help those with flexibility issues.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I doubt it's ankle so much as it is chest/shoulder/hip/hamstring flexibility. Is he wearing O-lift shoes? They really help those with flexibility issues.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Listen to Veronica. She said it twice for a reason!

Look, I was still recovering from Achilles Tendon Rupture and I could still squat butt-to-calves. My Ankle Flexibility Was Close To Zero. Rolling up onto the balls of my foot caused exquisite pain.

It ain't the ankles.

Have them squat barefooted and put a thumbtack under the ball of the foot. That'll simultaneously show you where the real flexibity problem is AND get them to squat on their heels. (Just kidding. Sort of. Don't do this. Or if you do, don't tell anyone I told you to do this. I didn't.)
Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Thanks guys. I didnt think it was his ankles, but I wasnt sure. I just watched him do a squat, and as soon as he goes down, he rounds his back, leans forward (almost like a good morning), and instantly, his heels come off the deck. It really looks like the inflexability is coming from his hips, cause when he begins his squat, his hips thrust backwards to way past his ankles (If I am not wrong, his hips should basically be inline with his ankles on the way down, and all throughout right?) Anyway, just really trying to look for some fixes for him (aside from tack, but thanks Lincoln =) ) I just dont know enough to help him fix this. Thanks again for the help, and anyone else that could chime in as well, would be a big help, and no Veronica, he is not wearing Oly shoes. I tried to get him to by some Chucks (thats what I wear) cause he currently lifts in a big chunky cross trainer. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
"his hips thrust backwards to way past his ankles (If I am not wrong, his hips should basically be inline with his ankles on the way down, and all throughout right?)"

No the hips SHOULD start back. But it does sound like he has some serious hip flexibility problems.

If I had to pick the absolute worst shoe to squat in, most cross trainers would fit the bill. Too much goosh in the sole, too much rocker on the ball of the foot, not enough shoe tread on the floor.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Chris Stowe

Profile:
I think I have gotten him sold on at least buying some Chuck T's (what I wear) I think that might get him started at least being able to get good feedback when his heels come up. Were still working on it, and he is getting better, but I think I am going to try and get a vid of him squatting so you guys can take a look. Way better than me trying to explain it.