CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
miguel zavalla

Profile:  
Hi to all,
I've been reserching about conditioning for a long time now then I found to this site. I was overwhelmed with the workouts and the information. I'm very much excited to do the workouts here. The other Day, I did my first workout, it was fran.. whoa, what a workout! I only did 15/12/10 reps because I was catching my breath the whole time. after that, I made a promise to myself that I would stop my bodybuilding workout and commit to crossfit.

I practice BJJ and would like to improve my conditioning. However, I can only go to the gym 3 times a week; that is on Mon, Fri, and Sat. So, would it be better to have a program rather than following the WOD for that specific day?
The program in my mind is:

Monday:
Fran
Friday:
Linda
Saturday: [that's if I'm not sore fron the friday workout]
(I don't know what this is called; I just found this one in the WOD forum section)
4000m rows
hang clean for 21 reps for 16min
2000m rows
hang clean for 18 reps for 8 min
1000m rows
hang clean for 15 reps for 4 min
500 m row
hang clean for 12 reps for 2 min

Tues-Thurs I do BJJ.

What do you guys think?
I would really appreciate your inouts since I have no clue on how crossfit workout goes.
Btw, i'm 21 years old and I've been lifting weights for 5 yrs now.

Thanks,
migs :-)
Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
Well to start things off welcome to crossfit. Now you say that you can only get to the gym 3 times a week, well the good news is that this will not prevent you from doing the w.o.d. The great thing about crossfit is that is very time efficient and you do not necessarily need a gym. Use the search function and there are a ton of articles on how to make equipment and use rocks or other gear laying around, not to mention the bodyweight workouts like "Cindy" or Mary". My advice would be to start with a scaled down w.o.d which you can find here http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com and try to follow the w.o.d as close as possible to the three on 1 off. If the workout for that day requires something you must go to the gym for then just sub it out for one you can do at home. Hopefully this helps you out!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
miguel zavalla

Profile:  
Thanks Jeff..
However, if I do WOD on tue and thurs (BJJ day) would it affect my training? I mean, would it deplete my energy for the rest of the day given that I do wod in the morning and Bjj in the evening?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
Not as long as you have sufficient time to rest, I think the general censuses around here for rest between WOD and other activity is between 4-6 hours. When I was going to bjj practice I was working out pretty much 3 times a day and felt fine but just make sure your nutrition and sleep are on point.