CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-26-2006, 03:24 AM   #1
Jared Waltz

Profile:
A while back some people were talking about the "Timex Ironman Triathlon Mega-Lap Sleek" watch, product #54591 as a good watch for intervals.
Here's one link:
http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Digital-.../dp/B0002JFBQC

One problem - it now appears to have been discontinued.

What is a current watch that would be the heat for CF/intervals/etc.?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:58 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Gotta love the Timex OVA!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Jon Gilson

Profile:
http://www.amazon.com/Timex-150-Lap-Ironman-Sleek-Watch/dp/B000223SS2/sr=1-22/qi d=1159276944/ref=sr_1_22/002-7602921-2805667?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry

Jared,

I've got this one. It has a great interval timer (Tabatas!), a regular timer, chrono, 150 lap memory, and 3 alarms. It's comfortable, too. The only problem I've had is hitting buttons during cleans and front squats, resulting in some embarassing alarms in the middle of business meetings.

Best,

Jon
Old 09-26-2006, 05:52 AM   #4
Yoon Sohn

Profile:
Jared,
If I do ever get another watch, it will probably be a Timex OVA.

Just so you know, I had a different Timex model, the Ironman Triathlon Sleek 50/100:
http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Mens-Watch-T5F781-Triathlon/dp/B00093CZNI/sr=1-7/qid =1159276580/ref=sr_1_7/104-3243177-0805511?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry

As you can see from the Amazon reviews (which weren't there when I first bought it), the construction isn't so great and mine lasted about 3 months. Unfortunately, duct tape can't fix everything:-(

I replaced the Timex with a Nike Oregon that's a lot more durable, but just feels a little less user-friendly. Both have/had interval timers, stopwatch, etc

(Message edited by Yoon on September 26, 2006)
Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 AM   #5
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Many watches (esp. Timex) can be set up for intervals. The only problem I ever had was in regards to where the buttons are on the watch. More than once, I've stopped the clock running during cleans due to my flexed wrist "hitting" a button. I'm told the OVA solves that, but I picked up another Ironman "slim model" (or something like that) and have had no problems since.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #6
Travis Loest

Profile:
Jon,
Where do you work that you are doing cleans and front squats in a meeting:carton:
I just take my watch off and start the time, that way I'm not constantly looking at it. Just my .02
Travis
Old 09-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
Matt Hulbert

Profile:
I have the Timex 54591.

It's a great watch. I love the interval timer and the alarms. It's great having alarms that can be set just for weekdays or weekends. I used this watch as my alarm clock for several years.

The way it uses the crown for setting is very fast and intuitive.

The curve of the band is very comfortable. More comfortable than most watches with plastic bands.

My one complaint is that when I push my wrist back all the way it usually pushes the crown, which puts the watch in "night mode". This just means any button push turns on the indiglo. Not a big deal, but it beeps and for some reason I find it more annoying than I should.

I recently got an OVA. The OVA uses my favorite version of user interface from Timex (I have a lot of watches!). I like it but I'm not completely sold on the OVA. But I wear lots of watches so it's harder for me to get used to having the face of the watch on the side of my wrist.

I find the 54591 more comfortable than the OVA.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #8
Matt Hulbert

Profile:
Two good places to get Timex Watches cheap:

Campmor http://www.campmor.com seems to sell a lot of discontinuned or clearance sales for Timex. Look for "hot deals". They have good service and tons of camping stuff.

I just got my OVA from ProSportWatches http://www.prosportwatches.com/ and they have decent prices. This was one of those things where I bought it at Amazon but the sale actually went through ProSportWatches. I don't konw anything about them but their prices are good and have most Timex sport watches.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
So question for you guys with the OVA watches.

Have the proven to be durable?

I ask this because I've had awful luck with Timex Ironman watches. Buttons and plastic parts falling of.

I traded in one watch eight times. Pieces/Parts kept falling off it, then the warranty period was over, so I couldn't trade it in when the 9th piece fell off.

I bought another one not too long ago (fairly high end - recommended by a running store in town). It made it through the warranty period and then shortly after that a large hunk of the plastic fascia fell off and then crown which controlled setting most of the functions fell off.

After that I swore I wouldn't buy a Timex again, but the Nike sportswatch I bought is also disintegrating on me, so I'm likely to be in the market for a new watch.

I tend to wear the watches most of the time I'm awake. Do they expect these things only to be used for shorts periods of activity in a day?

Either way, I figure if someone who does Crossfit with a watch and says it will last, then it will last, so I'm interested in your collective experience.

Thanks,

Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
Matt Hulbert

Profile:
G-Shock

I've only worn my OVA a few times, can't talk about durabilty. I had an Ironman fall apart on me. My other Timexes have been fine. One of them has taken quite a beating. The crystal is very scratched but is otherwise fine. The UI on the "sleek" models is usually the same as the OVA.

The Casio G-Shocks are pretty durable. If you're destroying watches, that would be a good watch to try. I really like my G7100D-1V and my G702BD7A (Analog/Digital). Both are very tough and decent looking.

(Message edited by mox on September 28, 2006)