CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Lisa Ray

Profile:
My husband, Mike, and I just bought a welder and we have welding fever! Thought some of you might be interested in what can be created in a little bitty garage space. He welded the pullup bar, which was quite a project to raise and secure to the ceiling! Med ball stand was next, and now we're working on Oly bar holders, plyo-boxes, and plate rack.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/21735.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/21736.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/21737.jpg
Old 03-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Must...not...purchase....welder...must...control.. .impulse...have...to...feed... children...
Old 03-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Need welder. Need to learn how to use welder. Need to not burn down gym. Must buy huge lot of steel and weld stuff. Mike, you do beautiful work. I envy your skill with the welder and may have to stick with bolting or suspending plumbing pipe. Still, there's a voc tech school nearby...
Old 03-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Nice Mike! Now, when are you starting to take custom orders?...
Old 03-21-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Yeah, we call it welding fever around here. It was bow fever last fall...it spread into this.

Ken, Mike says to tell you that you're close enough, we could work something out. What do you want?

Eugene, Mike picked up his skills off the internet. If you don't want to take a class, which we would actually like to do to learn more, that is a fast, cheap way to go.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Don Woodson

Profile:
Eugene, buy yourself a wire feed welder (MIG). Very easy. An hour or so of practice and you'll be welding everything. A voc school not really neccessary.
And since I know you always like first class stuff, you'll probably want to go with a Miller or Hobart brand welder.
There's two types of wire feed welders. MIG (metal inert gas), which has a gas regulator and solenoid that uses inert gas (usually CO2 and/or Argon) to shield the metal puddle from oxygen.
The other type of wire feed welder uses flux core wire, which does basically the same thing, but there's no gas regulator and solenoid. With the flux core wire, you'll have to bust the slag off of your welds. Don't have to do that with gas shielded. Most gas shielded welders will also be able to use flux core wire, so get a gas shielded one.
Another thing that makes a world of difference to a new hobbyist, is an auto darkening helmet. Without one, you have to line up your work, then flip the mask down before you strike an arc, which can be a rpita. With the auto darkening one, you just look through the glass, and when you strike an arc, it instantly darkens. OTOH, if your welding outside in the sun, the damn thing will darken when you don't want it to.
Just go down to your local welding supply, and he'll sell you and tell you what you need.

The problem you'll find though, is the price of steel is ridiculously high. I was going to build me a power cage, and found out it's actually cheaper to buy one already built (at least in my area). But as far as one off type stuff, that nobody sells (like Lisa's PU bar), inventing or repairing anything, a whole new world will open up to you. And your neighbors will be showing up with all kinds of broken stuff for you to fix.
Here's Hobart's site to get ya started: http://www.hobartwelders.com/

Solid looking pullup bars Lisa. That'll last forever.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Eugene,

One of the many things that I learned from the railroad. Some self darkening helmets have a little photocell to recharge the battery for the darkening system. The welders would leave the helmet in a cabinet and kill the battery. The battery was something that you couldn't change yourself (atleast in the helmets we got them). So pick the helmet carefully or make sure you set it out in the sun to charge the battery occasionally.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Thanks Don. We believe the house will come down before the pullup bar will.

Eugene, everything Don says is what we learned as well. We purchased a flux core wire feed welder which has the option of using gas shielded. It is a bit of a pain to grind the welding splash off, and the gas shielded welds are prettier, but it's all good. Mike bought the solar powered auto darkening helmet and feels that is key to what makes him a better welder. Doing it the other way would increase the difficuly ten-fold. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it.

Joseph-good call on that solar battery. The helmet is left in the garage, on the counter, but still in the dark a lot. We'll get that thing baking in some sunshine!

Here's the med ball storage rack....
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/21792.jpg
Old 03-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
Do you think it would be possible to rent one? I've found some crazy stuff for rent at a fraction of the price of buying it. Of course perhaps you could turn it into a cottage industry.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I love that ball rack. Making cool gear like that would be da bomb. I have been stuck with plumbing pipe but being able to roll my own so to speak would be grand. A buddy of mine on the SWAT team used to work high steel and is a welder. He has all the stuff and it would be easy for me to hook up with him have him show me how it's done...or just have him do it for that matter. My only problem is that my gym is filling up and I've already run out of wall space. What I really need is an addition. Thaks for all the welding tips everyone, I didn't know there was so much to it.