CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Neal Quigley

Profile:
Minor homemade med-ball question s

So I have an old basketball, some sand, a funnel, and exacto knife, superglue, and duct tape. I'm ready to rock with this whole homemade medicine ball business.

I have two minor questions:

1) Should I cut the hole to put in the sand on the "seams" or just somewhere in the middle of the ball?

2) If I get the weight I want before totally filling the ball, am I going to have to deal with an odd weight distribution in the ball (i.e. sand flopping around)? Any suggestions to counter that possibility?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Jo Maas

Profile:
Re: Minor homemade med-ball question s

Hi Neal, I recently made a home-made medicine ball too. I filled mine to the brim to make a 10kg'er so I didn't need to put in any filler. But if you are making one of a lesser weight, then I think you need to fill the rest with saw dust. Now, I'm not sure that just packing in the sawdust at the end is the way to go, I think you might need to weigh your sand first and mix in the sawdust then fill the ball with the mix. I haven't done that personally - I'm only going by what I've read on internet instructions - actually I'm not sure how the mix would go being poured into a funnel?

The other option is to fill the ball with the required sand, and then add uncooked rice (it's heaps lighter). It'll travel down the funnel better than sawdust I think.

I didn't cut on a seam, just a small X (about 3 x 3cm) so that the funnel would fit.

Have fun! Let us know how you go.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Neal Quigley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Maas View Post
Hi Neal, I recently made a home-made medicine ball too. I filled mine to the brim to make a 10kg'er so I didn't need to put in any filler. But if you are making one of a lesser weight, then I think you need to fill the rest with saw dust. Now, I'm not sure that just packing in the sawdust at the end is the way to go, I think you might need to weigh your sand first and mix in the sawdust then fill the ball with the mix. I haven't done that personally - I'm only going by what I've read on internet instructions - actually I'm not sure how the mix would go being poured into a funnel?

The other option is to fill the ball with the required sand, and then add uncooked rice (it's heaps lighter). It'll travel down the funnel better than sawdust I think.

I didn't cut on a seam, just a small X (about 3 x 3cm) so that the funnel would fit.

Have fun! Let us know how you go.
Thanks, Jo. Rice is a good idea, I may just go with that. I'm aiming to get this one somewhere around 12 lbs so I suspect I will have a decent amount of extra space to fill.

I'm thinking maybe it's best not to cut on the seams as the cut seems (OH! PUN!) more likely to widen on its own.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Neal Quigley

Profile:

Well, I didn't have much rice in the house, and I'm lazy, so I ended up with a 20.8# med-ball. Being out-of shape, it will definitely be challenging to use as RX'd all the time, but maybe that will be for the best.

I decided to use an old, ripped pillow as padding. I tore out about half of the stuffing and wrapped it around the ball before wrapping the whole thing in duct tape. After testing it out with a few wall-ball throws, I'm glad I did this, as I've already dropped it on my face once!

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the result. It feels solid and it will definitely work as a useful addition to my home gym. Time will tell as far as how durable it will be. My only minor concern is whether it will get slick with sweat over an extended workout. Maybe a second layer of textured tape will help with that.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Huw Owen

Profile:

hey neal, yoour thread inspired me to fix my homemade med ball. got too much sand in my face on FGB a few days ago. i put 5 tennis balls in then filled filled it as full as i could with fresh beach sand! 20lbs on the spot , duct taped the **** out of it this time. liked your idea with the pillow so took one from girlfriends side of the bed (hope she doesn't notice) a quick cut and i had feathers everywhere duuhhh. that'll teach me.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Jo Maas

Profile:

We shall call you all McGyver! The tennis balls is a great idea. I've heard of people wrapping their medicine balls in a towel and then duct taping again.

P.S. She'll notice - we notice everything!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Neal Quigley

Profile:

Yeah, I had one of those cheapo pillows with some kind of synthetic filling, which I knew because the pillow already had a huge hole in it. I think my wife would not be pleased if I requisitioned one of her nice pillows

If you do use that method, I found it helpful to place some loops of tape at various points around the ball to secure the stuffing material before I wrapped up the whole thing. Double sided tape or glue (if you're fast) would also probably work. I could see a towel being a decent option, but I doubt it would be as soft. My way actually worked out better than I expected. The best part was that the synthetic material came apart fairly easily (but not TOO easily), so I could even out the lumpy spots of the ball while I was wrapping it up by ripping off pieces of the padding sticking out between the tape. And, as I said, it's soft enough to make getting hit in the face by a 20# ball a lot more pleasant than I would have thought

I do like your tennis ball idea, although I imagine that would require a pretty substantial hole in the basketball.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Jo Maas

Profile:

Maybe table tennis balls?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Brendan Beely

Profile:

I made the other night before FGB. Took an old basketball, but a small X on the seams, stuffed my funnel in, and filled with leftover gravel from making weighted PVC training pipes. I was worried about hitting weight before it was filled, as well, and the potential solution I came up with was to add some of that expanding foam and then roll the ball around until it started to set up so the weight would be dustributed. My thinking was that would add the minimal extra weight, and provide stability for the filler.

Turns out it wasn't needed. I think I ended up just shy of 20#, but my scale is acting up, so I'm not sure. Filled the hole with some construction adhesive and silicone, let it set up, and started throwing.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
Neal Quigley

Profile:

Ping pong balls might be a good option. Here's another odd-ball idea I just had--how about stuffing a basketball with golf balls? I don't know if it's easy or cheap to get used golf balls, but it's a thought. I also like the expanding foam idea. On a similar note, maybe cutting some high density foam into cubes could work.

It would be nice to be able to come up with a reliable system to make med-balls of varying weights while keeping the weight distribution even.

As for an update on my own project, the ball is working perfectly for me. I've played around with it a fair bit since getting it together, and my only complaint so far is that one strip of duct tape (out of dozens) came off and had to be reapplied. I think that might be because I cheaped out and bought the least expensive tape at home depot (something like $2 for a roll). If necessary, I'll reapply some nicer tape. As it was, the ball only cost me around $7, so I am more than pleased with the cost:benefit ratio for a perfectly usable 20# med-ball.