CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Faster POSE running

Double post.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post

Then you're kind of posting in the wrong thread.
Not necessarily. My understanding of how to run fast may align with some POSE concepts and not be called POSE to me. You've pointed out some areas where it doesn't, which I do appreciate (no sarcasm there).
Old 04-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #13
Shawn Casey

Profile:

John,

The pose method uses gravity instead of fighting against it. It utilizes the foot pull instead of pushing with the foot and the "pose" in the pose method is ideal for falling and redirecting the fall into forward movement. Stride length is not used because the pull is started as soon as the person feels the foot on the ground and the strike is underneath the body and not in front. turnover speed is used instead, so a pose runner develops a faster cadence for speed. I've noticed some of the sprinters during the olympics use the pose method after they take 5-6 steps. I do the same thing when I do sprints.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #14
Allison Robshaw

Profile:

Thanks for the information. I think that I still need to just practice. I am sure that now when I run I DO look like a crazy person. We were learning to over-exaggerate our moves in the clinic and I think that is still with me. I did notice that even though my hamstrings were SUPER sore after it, that my lower back didn't hurt a bit!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Top sprinters don't pose. Sprinters drive their feet into the ground for acceleration instead of just pulling them up as soon as they touch the ground.

When you're POSEing, your forward lean controls your speed. If you're not leaning forward, you're not moving, you're just pulling your feet up one after another and looking like a crazy person. The further forward you lean, the faster you're falling and thus running faster.

Then you're kind of posting in the wrong thread.
It's been my understanding that sprinters do Pose. By definition isn't POSE running the fastest and most efficient way to run? Sprinting certainly embodies that.. I wonder what Dr. Romanov would have to say.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #16
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
It's been my understanding that sprinters do Pose. By definition isn't POSE running the fastest and most efficient way to run? Sprinting certainly embodies that.. I wonder what Dr. Romanov would have to say.
No. It may be the most efficient way to run but it's not the fastest way.

From reading Romanov's book and from attending a POSE clinic, my understanding of POSE is that you let gravity control your speed by constantly falling forward, pulling your feet up with your hamstring as soon as they touch the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQcGp2N_GIQ (WFS)

Does any of that look like POSE to you? If it does, then you don't know what POSE is.

POSE is a very efficient way to run moderate to long distances fast but POSE is not synonymous with the-ultimate-end-all-be-all-of-running.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #17
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Of course, there not going to take a high level Olympic runner that already runs fast and teach them pose. Nobody is debating that there aren't other ways to run fast. I don't remember the distance that I saw pose but I know it wasn't that long. I didn't catch sprinting in the book or the video but, his CJ video implies that you can sprint using pose. How fast is debatable. I am in no way much of a runner so I can't really say. All I can say is I use pose with any running I do. It did take me a while to get use to but my times are slowly lowering. I could see someone that is coming up in running use it for sprinting.

Pose is still fairly new. You never know, you might see some kids that are brought up using pose sprinting soon.

We are talking about running faster using the pose method and this thread is contributing to that. To me it seems like some folks care more about being right and making other look stupid. If that's what you care about then maybe you're in the wrong thread.

Last edited by Shawn Casey : 04-24-2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: 1
Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #18
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQcGp2N_GIQ (WFS)

Does any of that look like POSE to you? If it does, then you don't know what POSE is.
Guess I've got a lot to learn...