CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Allison Robshaw

Profile:
Faster POSE running

I took a fabulous clinic this weekend at CFMN and I am having a problem running faster using the POSE method. Provided that I am just now learning it, I wonder if there is a technique to go faster. Maybe I am overthinking the running and trying to make sure that I do it correctly, but I don't want to just revert back to my old technique everytime we do running for a WOD.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Faster POSE running

The way you go faster with Pose running, as I understand, is to pull your foot up faster, i.e. less time in contact with the ground. This will make you fall (a.k.a. run) faster.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

www.posetech.com

There's lots of good articles with drills and the like on there.. has kept me busy for many hours. Like Nicholas said, pulling fast and having as little time as possible on the ground is key. Also, look at the pose videos archived on crossfit main site.

P.S. Good to see another 'sotan on the boards!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Think of it this way: if you're in the "pose" standing straight up, your speed is zero. Lean forward just a little, and you start jogging slowly. Lean forward a little more, you jog faster/run. If you lean forward a lot, you'll be sprinting. Of course, the more you lean the faster you'll fall. Contact with the ground should be minimal regardless of your speed.

Tim
Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
The way you go faster with Pose running, as I understand, is to pull your foot up faster, i.e. less time in contact with the ground. This will make you fall (a.k.a. run) faster.
No.

The forward lean controls your speed. The further forward you lean, the faster you run.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
John Casey

Profile:

Speed is a function of stride length and turnover (foot speed).

Maximize both of those things in the most efficient way possible and you will maximize your speed. I don't know anything about POSE, but I'm a fairly competent sprinter; I'm guessing POSE comes in as the "efficieny" portion of the equation.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
No.

The forward lean controls your speed. The further forward you lean, the faster you run.

Forward lean controls acceleration. You eventually reach a point at which you can't lean any further forward and have to run more upright. A good runner, however, will always have at least a slight forward lean from the ankles, staying upright through the hips.

Caveat: I'm speaking from a sprinting standpoint. Of course, if you're running an 8-minute mile pace and lean forward more, you're going to run faster--but you're really accelerating to a faster pace. If the above statement were exactly true as stated, sprinters would never come out of their drive phase and continue accelerating ad infinitum.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
I am unfamiliar with POSE, but I read a lot in the threads about this concept of pulling the foot up and allowing it to fall to the ground. Why does no one ever talk about "driving" while you run? I'm not yet criticizing something I don't understand, so will someone please explain it to me?

What I mean by "driving" (separate from knee drive in this case): To move forward you have to have a net force propelling you in that direction. This foot pull that I always hear people talk about helps minimize contact with the ground (an important aspect of speed), but no one ever talks about the reapplication of force on the ground. That's where the actual movement forward comes from. To go fast, this application of force has to be violent, and in the correct direction (meaning with good form).

Maybe we will have to just agree to disagree, since I'm from a sprinting background. I'm not sure if POSE stuff applies to pure sprinting.

Last edited by John Casey : 04-19-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: misspelled foot as "fut"
Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
John Casey

Profile:

Sorry for posting 3 in a row guys! (now 4...)
Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
Forward lean controls acceleration. You eventually reach a point at which you can't lean any further forward and have to run more upright. A good runner, however, will always have at least a slight forward lean from the ankles, staying upright through the hips.

Caveat: I'm speaking from a sprinting standpoint. Of course, if you're running an 8-minute mile pace and lean forward more, you're going to run faster--but you're really accelerating to a faster pace. If the above statement were exactly true as stated, sprinters would never come out of their drive phase and continue accelerating ad infinitum.
Top sprinters don't pose. Sprinters drive their feet into the ground for acceleration instead of just pulling them up as soon as they touch the ground.

When you're POSEing, your forward lean controls your speed. If you're not leaning forward, you're not moving, you're just pulling your feet up one after another and looking like a crazy person. The further forward you lean, the faster you're falling and thus running faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
Maximize both of those things in the most efficient way possible and you will maximize your speed. I don't know anything about POSE, but I'm a fairly competent sprinter; I'm guessing POSE comes in as the "efficieny" portion of the equation.
Then you're kind of posting in the wrong thread.

Last edited by Júlíus Magnússon : 04-19-2010 at 10:06 PM.