CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #91
Andrew H. Meador
Member Andrew H. Meador is offline
 
Andrew H. Meador's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Williamstown  MA
Posts: 917
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Case View Post
Roger Bannister ran a sub 4 mile may 1954. Half hour workouts, 3 or four days a week while attending school full time. Oh, and no man is "untouchable"
THANK YOU
__________________
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings. -W. Mozart
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #92
Desmond Pegrum
Member Desmond Pegrum is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth  WA Australia
Posts: 266
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

I loved watching Mikko's documentary

But let's face facts

Mikko is the fittest crossfitter on the planet, nowhere near the fittest man on the planet.

The true fittest man on the planet is too busy making mega bucks in his chosen sport to worry about the Crossfit games.

The top guys in crossfit are excellent athletes and head and shoulders above most of us mere mortals but let's be really honest, most of them couldn't quite make it at a pro level at other sports and thus have tried their hand at crossfit. E.g. Rob the strongman never got to any decent level on strongman and would be embarrassed in strong by a Derek Poundstone. But compared to the average crossfitter, hes a damm strong lad.

Even Mikko was only a semi professional soccer player in the Finnish league (one of the lowest in europe). You don't think if Mikko was a truly talented soccer player that he wouldn't be playing for AC Milan in Serie A instead of crossfitting ?

If the prize for winning the crossfit games suddenly became a million dollars, trust me you would see olympic level pro athletes try their hand at crossfit and they would wipe the floor with everyone currently competing. That's a fact

One year of trainng just to get used to the workouts would be enough for a top level athlete. Some of the guys in the NFL would be wrecking machines !
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #93
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
But let's face facts

Mikko is the fittest crossfitter on the planet, nowhere near the fittest man on the planet.

The true fittest man on the planet is too busy making mega bucks in his chosen sport to worry about the Crossfit games.
Oh boy...here we go again....
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #94
Mauricio Leal
Affiliate Mauricio Leal is offline
 
Mauricio Leal's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland  CA
Posts: 839
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
But let's face facts
Haha, here we go again is right... I'm not getting into this again, read through the thread it's already been discussed, and please try to appreciate the difference between "facts" and "the things I feel really, realllly strongly about in my mind."
__________________
CrossFit Cypher
www.crossfitcypher.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #95
Marcel Zwinger
Member Marcel Zwinger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Podersdorf  Burgenland
Posts: 327
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

FACTS are proven. what you say might be true, but proven it is not, young Padawan.

further, this has only been the third CF Games.
at which money would it be ok to call it "The Fittest Person Alive".

we were talking about how it is more and more gearing towards professionalism, and that there will be more and more people like Mikko (or better ones of course) who will be in another category of capacity.

so what was your point again?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #96
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
One year of trainng just to get used to the workouts would be enough for a top level athlete.
This, by the way, is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on the forum lately.

If there's someone out there more fit than Mikko, why on earth would he need one year of training? That's like me saying "I can beat Kobe Bryant one-on-one. Give me a year to practice so I can prove it."

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #97
Desmond Pegrum
Member Desmond Pegrum is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth  WA Australia
Posts: 266
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

Because guys, like it or not, Crossfit workouts have a skill element

Some of the exercises take some time to get used to and that is why i said one year for the adaption. I think this was seen very clearly when the foreign girl who was second (sorry can't remember her name) encountered exercises she had just never done before (can't wait to see how she goes next year)

It's like saying, if a Crossfitter truly is the fittest man on the planet , he should be able to compete at a high level in the Decathlon off the bat. Who can argue that the Decathlon doesn't measure many facets of fitness but again there is a significant skill element in the decathlon
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #98
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

Read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way by Eric Steven Raymond... (WFS)

I have a feeling this ^^ could be one of the most worthwhile copy/paste scripts ever...I may just make a word doc with this exact script for these msg boards

Last edited by Aushion Chatman : 01-07-2010 at 10:49 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #99
Mauricio Leal
Affiliate Mauricio Leal is offline
 
Mauricio Leal's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland  CA
Posts: 839
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post

It's like saying, if a Crossfitter truly is the fittest man on the planet , he should be able to compete at a high level in the Decathlon off the bat. Who can argue that the Decathlon doesn't measure many facets of fitness but again there is a significant skill element in the decathlon
Why the double standard? I thought you said the pro athlete gets a year to learn CF skills. Shouldn't Mr. Pro CF get a year to learn decathlon skills? You may have misunderstood CrossFit's stance on cross-over ability.

"We do what you do almost as well as you, you can't do our stuff at all, and we do what neither of us do better than you can." -Coach Glassman
__________________
CrossFit Cypher
www.crossfitcypher.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #100
Desmond Pegrum
Member Desmond Pegrum is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth  WA Australia
Posts: 266
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

I'm quite happy to give any Crossfitter 2 years and see how they go at the olympics in the decathlon
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mikko Salo Question John Cintron Starting 3 12-31-2009 01:41 PM
mikko salo in action? Michael Ingley Competitions 0 08-18-2009 04:50 PM
MIKKO & Finnish Bootcamp? Mike Wright Fitness 60 08-09-2009 12:01 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.