CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Noah Milstein

Profile:
Type 2 Diabetes and Paleo - hyperglycemia?

A type 2 diabetic goes on a paleo diet for 2 weeks from a high carb diet where previous average blood sugar numbers range between 115 and 125 and then on paleo range from 150-175 and loses 3 kilograms... Does the danger of this hyperglycemic effect outweigh the advantageous elements of a paleo diet as a treatment for the diabetes? Will the hyperglycemia effect subside overtime - if it does will it do so without incurring damage? Does anyone know of any research or experience with this? Who has any knowledge of treating type 2 diabetes with paleo? This is really very critical. Please let me know of any resources that you may have available to you. Also is it normal to see hyperglycemia on paleo as the high carbs are no longer causing the insulin spikes to mask the high glucose levels while simultaneously releasing glucose/ketones from fat cells and thus elevating blood sugar numbers by using stored energy instead of exogenous sources from carbs?

Please let me know if you have any information, studies, anecdotes, etc. Particularly if you are diabetic and have experience with this.

Thank you, Noah Milstein
Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:
Re: Type 2 Diabetes and Paleo - hyperglycemia?

Can you give some examples of what you are eating now, and how many calories you are averaging a day now vs. before. That would be helpful.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

I'm diabetic but diet and exercise controlled. The only times I've ever had higher glucose readings is when I'm ingesting more carbs and/or I'm more stressed out (yes stress can raise glucose readings under certain conditions).

Knowing what you're eating now versus before would help greatly.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

What is this paleo person eating?

Too many fruits/veges?

Add in more fat and meat...
Old 12-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Eric Gagnon

Profile:

Im a type 1. Whenever I eat clean/paleo I always end up taking a lot less insulin. I too am very interested in seeing what this person is eating...
Old 12-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Casey Crooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gagnon View Post
Im a type 1. Whenever I eat clean/paleo I always end up taking a lot less insulin. I too am very interested in seeing what this person is eating...

+1
im type one and take much less insulin also when eating paleo (ish)

for the first week or so when i started eating like this i would tend to have spikes, because i was taking far to much insulin and not eating enough, then eating too much to correct, and going up and down for a few hours till it got straightened out. but ive corrected insulin and diet and such and now im running very smooth.

not sure if that helps for type 2 though
Old 12-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Also consider what medications you are taking. Many medical treatments of type two diabetes work by increasing insulin levels.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
John Jaeckel

Profile:

My guess is, like most Type 2 patients, you don't see an endocrinologist for your diabetes(?)

My experience with physicians and diabetes (which is quite extensive— it's basically my job) is that most primary care physicians are lacking the time/bandwidth, or are not comfortable enough with their training to address an issue as specific and as complicated as this.

This is a serious medical question that you should discuss with an endocrinologist. In addition to the damage caused by hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia is also a potential side effect of whatever medication you're taking, diet and intense exercise. And you don't want to mess around with that.

Get thee to an endo.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:01 AM   #9
Troy Kerr

Profile:

I am a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. I have been eating a strict paleo-zone for the last year and have seen a significant increase in my blood sugar control. When I first began the Paleo-zone, I was eating 80% of my carb blocks and bolusing to correct the difference. Now I pretty much substitute all of my carb. blocks for fat and only take in carbs when I need them.

Now onto your situation...I have noticed when I do not way and measure my food intake I can sometimes have weird spikes. Sometimes eating strictly protein and fat( almonds) I have noticed spikes in blood sugar that take a few hours to bring back down. Again I am not sure why...but this could be a factor in the situation as well.
Fruits and veggies should be the primary carb. choices. Try reducing the persons carb. intake to a minimal. That is if they're blood sugar is falling into sub-optimal ranges, have something. I usually wake up in the morning with low-blood sugars, and usually 1/2 or even a whole apple is enough to bring it up to optimal ranges.
For the Protein sources, if they are using dairy as a primary source then this could be causing spikes in the blood sugar, sub the dairy out for a lean meat, chicken, egg whites, etc...
I would also advise calculating out their zone blocks. This will give you an exact gauge of how much protein, fat, and carbs they're getting each day. I have found that when following a paleo-zone proticol my blood sugars are much more stable.

I hope this can provide some assistance to the situation.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
Sydney Everhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
My guess is, like most Type 2 patients, you don't see an endocrinologist for your diabetes(?)

My experience with physicians and diabetes (which is quite extensive— it's basically my job) is that most primary care physicians are lacking the time/bandwidth, or are not comfortable enough with their training to address an issue as specific and as complicated as this.

This is a serious medical question that you should discuss with an endocrinologist. In addition to the damage caused by hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia is also a potential side effect of whatever medication you're taking, diet and intense exercise. And you don't want to mess around with that.

Get thee to an endo.

I second this. If the situation is as "critical" as you said it is, Noah, then it is critical that you seek personal, professional advice.