CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #471
Jon Gonzalez

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

Been reading this thread, I'm in for a 30 day challenge myself. I've been wanting to get into Paleo but never had the motivation to do so. I'm starting today. It'll be harder though since I won't have an actual kitchen, and I'll be moving around to 4 different places within a year, but thank god for microwave steamed bags of veggies and precooked meat.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #472
Nick Repertorio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Gonzalez View Post
Been reading this thread, I'm in for a 30 day challenge myself. I've been wanting to get into Paleo but never had the motivation to do so. I'm starting today. It'll be harder though since I won't have an actual kitchen, and I'll be moving around to 4 different places within a year, but thank god for microwave steamed bags of veggies and precooked meat.
Jon, may I recommend Paleo Kits, super delicious and go towards an awesome cause, check them out. http://www.paleokits.org/ (wfs)
Old 09-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #473
Jon Gonzalez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Repertorio View Post
Jon, may I recommend Paleo Kits, super delicious and go towards an awesome cause, check them out. http://www.paleokits.org/ (wfs)
Ah yes I remember those from a while back, thanks for reminding me. I'll put in an order soon.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #474
Benn Wilhelm

Profile:

I am about 5 days into a modified Paleo diet. I am currently deployed to the mountains of afghanistan. I eat feel great and notice a little weight loss. I am really lean as it is, but i cant tell if it is from me running missions or the change in my nutrition. i was wondering if anyone, especially people new to this diet could shed some light on this for me. what kind of changes are people expierencing? my muscles feel a bit denser but what can i expect. we dont get mail here frequently but my GF has sent me some books on paleo but they will take about a month to get here. any help with this would be greatly appreciated

thank you Benn
Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #475
Jon Gonzalez

Profile:

Well thought I'd throw in something into this thread if it hasn't been mentioned already. For those wanting to kick their "pop" habit without having to go cold turkey, while still being healthy can try "Zevia". It's all natural sodas made with stevia and no artificial anything. I personally don't drink sodas or anything, for me a good ice cold tea or water works for me, but thought I'd recommend that for anyone.

Anyways, done with day one, I have a workout journal showing my progress through my 30 days. Other than eating a good amount of dark chocolate today (wanted to get rid of it today)I did fairly well. Only question is, on eating protein. Would eating more than 20g of protein in one sitting be a waste? I have a hard time keeping my protein intake high, today I ate a significant amount of protein, but I also had to drink a protein shake. So would eating 70g or protein in one sitting be a waste? Or would it all get used up somehow? I'm about 200lbs, so I need at least 200g of protein from what I've read. Thoughts?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #476
Jon Gonzalez

Profile:

Oh and might I recommend Emerald Cocoa roast almonds. They're almonds roasted with cocoa powder on them, very light in taste but damn good.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #477
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Gonzalez View Post
Well thought I'd throw in something into this thread if it hasn't been mentioned already. For those wanting to kick their "pop" habit without having to go cold turkey, while still being healthy can try "Zevia". It's all natural sodas made with stevia and no artificial anything. I personally don't drink sodas or anything, for me a good ice cold tea or water works for me, but thought I'd recommend that for anyone.

Anyways, done with day one, I have a workout journal showing my progress through my 30 days. Other than eating a good amount of dark chocolate today (wanted to get rid of it today)I did fairly well. Only question is, on eating protein. Would eating more than 20g of protein in one sitting be a waste? I have a hard time keeping my protein intake high, today I ate a significant amount of protein, but I also had to drink a protein shake. So would eating 70g or protein in one sitting be a waste? Or would it all get used up somehow? I'm about 200lbs, so I need at least 200g of protein from what I've read. Thoughts?
You weigh 91kg so your protein requirements are 109-163g/kg/d (1.2-1.8g/kg/d). You only really need 1.8g/kg/d for brief periods at the start of any new training program though because homeostatic adaptations quickly kick in and your protein requirements drop back to ~1-1.2g/kg/d as your body starts using it more efficiently. You don't really need to worry about any of that though because as long as you're eating a reasonably varied diet and you're meeting your daily caloric needs you'll already be getting all the protein you need.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #478
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
You weigh 91kg so your protein requirements are 109-163g/kg/d (1.2-1.8g/kg/d). You only really need 1.8g/kg/d for brief periods at the start of any new training program though because homeostatic adaptations quickly kick in and your protein requirements drop back to ~1-1.2g/kg/d as your body starts using it more efficiently. You don't really need to worry about any of that though because as long as you're eating a reasonably varied diet and you're meeting your daily caloric needs you'll already be getting all the protein you need.
Please be careful with the nutritional advice you give people. This information impacts their health and life. CrossFit presents strong evidence for the Paleo/Zone Diet models. If you wish to come here and contradict them please present evidence.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #479
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cummings View Post
Please be careful with the nutritional advice you give people. This information impacts their health and life. CrossFit presents strong evidence for the Paleo/Zone Diet models. If you wish to come here and contradict them please present evidence.
http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fu...rmance.27.aspx (wfs)

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrit...ein_-_how_much (wfs)
Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #480
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cummings View Post
it's really not a question of evidence, nick. darryl has presented evidence in a number of threads before.

Darryl, while i understand that you don't believe there is enough evidence to support that paleo is "the best thing of all time," i think a disclaimer in most of your posts would be fantastic.

People need to find what works for them, and your perspective is absolutely valid and valuable to these discussions. however, people new to the forums don't know that your opinion is a dissenting one...i think you owe it to them to be upfront about it.

"while most people on the forums will tell you X, i believe that Y...you mileage may vary" isn't a lot of extra effort.

Last edited by Renee Lee : 09-22-2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: especially considering this is the "paleo 30 day challenge" support thread