CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
John Harris

Profile:
Re: gymnastics course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I would just blob a lot of the basic skills above into a session, heh.
This will be my most likely approach.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

45 minutes. That's tough considering it's barely enough time for a warmup. Do a short warmup, some HS basics and 1 event is about all you will have time for.

You could try to rotate the events.

Do a set of swings on rings, then go do some parallel bar swings. Go back to swings on rings, do a set of swings on pommel horse, etc. 3-5 rounds of basically swinging and hanging.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:

my class is only an hour, but his does not include our warm-up which we do on our own. I asked if they had open gym hours or if I could stay after class ot work on stuff, but they said they can't accomodate that now. there is a bunch of open gym time aroudn the holidays, so i will mos def be taking advatage of that. but for now, its just the hour on saturday plus anything i can do at home or at my CF box.

in terms of a program, i probably want to focus on tumbling, but i am going to at least try everything that you have recommended.

thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I like and prefer to always do tumbling as my first event and then hit an apparatus event and then do something like vault or tramp and back to another apparatus. Currently, though I'm making my boys do mushroom first in a hope to get their circles and also I find they were getting tired when it was just after break. Sometimes they were only working on mushroom 2x a week vs 3x because the mushroom area isn't in the pommel horse area. Sometimes I can find a space for mushroom but the horse is next to floor and I generally can get even a tiny bit of floor to throw down a mushroom or floor mushroom. Besides our bucket is in that other area.

If you can warmup before, 1 hour is about enough time for 2-3 events.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:37 AM   #15
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Could you comment on a gymnastics warm-up? they give us a 10-15 period to stretch prior. I'm not a huge fan of static stretching in a warm-up but don't really know what to do to warm-up for gymnastics.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cummings View Post
Could you comment on a gymnastics warm-up? they give us a 10-15 period to stretch prior. I'm not a huge fan of static stretching in a warm-up but don't really know what to do to warm-up for gymnastics.
I dont static stretch 'cept hip flexors. I usually would just do whatever the warmup was but make it into dynamic stretches
Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
Davi Cohen

Profile:

By the by, Benjamin, I think it's great that you've included walkovers in your list of skills. I don't know many men who can do them. Some of the male gymnasts (as opposed to contortionists) I've met whose powerful floor work leaves me, well, floored (!), are in awe of walkover abilities.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I think I possess the ugliest passable back walkover that I know of. We're talking about a 90 degree split. Ugly but did a few last night.

10-15 minutes.

I like some lunge walks or bulgarian lunges. Seal stretch and cat/cows. Toe raises and heel raises. Leg swings. Deck squats to candlestick. Maybe some OHS/Burg WU if I want to feel out of place. Straddle swings on rings. Leg swings front to back and side to side. Stick/band dislocates/inlocates or skin the cats. Foam roll shoulders. Lying windshield wipers. Pike and straddle hip flexor lifts and hold. Wrists and shoulders. Some bridge work like bridge wall walks and handstand to bridge kickover on a block or wall.

Do some handstands or donkey kick to handstands and presses and pirouettes and voila.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:

Hey Davi,

Thanks for the props, but they are undeserved as of yet being that walkovers are on my list of skills to be achieved.

I play Capoeira and almost all of the top notch Capoeiristas have great walkovers front and back. The most impressive is when they kick up to handstand, go all the way over to bridge, but stop short of touching the feet, and then come back over. I'm not sure what you'd call it...sort of like an arrested front walkover reversing direction to a back walkover. Ido Portal does it quite well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_eTg6gMTE0 WFS

So I am hoping to get there, but given the miserable state of my bridge work, it will likely be a long time coming. But we all have to have goals, right?

we also do a lot of rotations into bridge :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ6mSnBWk-g WFS which are sort of hit or miss for me, so I am trying to get those solid too.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
Davi Cohen

Profile:

That first video is GORGEOUS. Thanks for sharing it.

There's a fantastic tumbler where I sometimes tumble who rocks the double backs like I can only dream of doing right now and he's totally jealous of my back walkover (which is totally serviceable, but not as good now as it was when I was 10 and doing them on the beam!).

Rotations in bridge are fun. There's a related yoga pose called "mandalasana" (I looked for some good videos on youtube, but didn't find too many - here's the best one [maybe I should make one!]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrpootdKoH8