CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:55 AM   #701
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:
Re: The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Diane, 5:13. That's 43 seconds slower than just 2 weeks ago, what gives? I did deadlifts standing on concrete while the bar sank further into the ground, but I was just weaker and less wired than last time. Also, I may have only done 14 deadlifts on my 2nd round, I need to check the video again.

I did about 10+ power cleans of 185 lbs late last night, and felt it a little when I woke up (at 5:20) right before this workout, but I doubt that hurt my time so much.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #702
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

back squats, 225x5, 225x5, 315x5, a few lighter sets thrown in. That 315x5 was much harder than I anticipated, I guess Diane took some out of me.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #703
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

I think that sucky Diane was due both to the deeper deadlifts, to the morning time (3 hours sleep to boot). Possibly some deconditioning -- it left me A LOT more sore than usual.

Today - Heavy GRACE, 155 lbs, in 3:02

I didn't even feel that. I was humming along. First time doing Grace (except in the Games last year) with bumper plates, I pulled an RXd (135 lbs) with iron plates in 2:33 last fall.

Stupid, silly circumstances, but I had my wife on the phone with me through my headset throughout the WOD.

I was breathing hard about rep 20, but muscularly?... nothing. Easy. I've got to check the video to see if I missed a rep, some confusion counting around rep 14-16 because of the conversation with Tash.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #704
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

I checked the video, my form was righteous, my count was on, and the time was 3:01. And yeah, like I remembered (I didn't want to exaggerate before) I wasn't even breathing hard until about rep 24.

Luke, one of my clients, was working with me. He couldn't do Grace as RXd before; he couldn't pull a 135 lb clean & jerk as a 1RM. He did Grace once with 115 lbs and it took him 17+ minutes.

Today he did Grace as RXd -- and miscounted his reps. He did 35 reps in 7:59. He hit 30 reps at 6:54. Freaking awesome.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #705
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirez Reynolds View Post
I checked the video, my form was righteous, my count was on, and the time was 3:01. And yeah, like I remembered (I didn't want to exaggerate before) I wasn't even breathing hard until about rep 24.

Luke, one of my clients, was working with me. He couldn't do Grace as RXd before; he couldn't pull a 135 lb clean & jerk as a 1RM. He did Grace once with 115 lbs and it took him 17+ minutes.

Today he did Grace as RXd -- and miscounted his reps. He did 35 reps in 7:59. He hit 30 reps at 6:54. Freaking awesome.
Awesome Heavy Grace, but your progress with Luke...Wow. Simply incredible.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #706
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

That's a nice heavy Grace, but coming from you that should have been 80kg at least. It sounds like you weren't even challenged at all, it's not fair !

Tell me, what are you planning in July ? I'm in California from july 3rd to the 29th, maybe it's time to raise hell in CFLP !
Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #707
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Chuck - thanks. I thought about it, and here's the secret with Luke. He came in with a background in triathlons and standard endurance training. So, no real strength & power training in his background. CrossFit has hit him hard with strength training and after 3 months he's responding rapidly. He's put on like 10-15 pounds of muscle.

The secret is, he's got a gift of stamina. His consistency across longer efforts is astounding. I put him on 800 meter repeats, and he'll go all out on the first effort - say a 2:38 - but then he'll manage to repeat that within 2 seconds for another 3. It's unbelievable. And his sister is the same way. Luke's not hella strong or powerful, and 135 lbs was a stretch for him. But the deal is -- once he gets it, he can keep repeating it solidly forever, because of that freakish stamina. So we just had to get him to do 135... and he did 35 reps of it.

Richard -- of course we've got to get together! You've got a place to stay here at CFLP. Now, the situation is NOT ideal. Weird stuff is going on here, the city has nominally shut me down. We're opening a new box --- big and beautiful. So I am NOT installing the very expensive canopies and coolers for the existing CFLP. Which means it's blazing hot here. Nonetheless, if you want to hit all the CrossFit boxes in Arizona / Phoenix, come stay with us, we'll take you around to the other affiliates here. And of course we've got some wicked, homegrown WODs that are unique to CrossFit Litchfield Park.

If you get lucky on your timing, we might hit a day trip into the most beautiful parts of Arizona, eg. hike up Agassiz and Humphreys peaks at 13,000 foot elevation, or Havasupai Falls in the grand canyon.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #708
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Sorry to hear your having problems with your affiliate Kirez, I hope it all works out well with the new premises. Surely you and Richard could visit the games, I hate watching others participate in any form of physical activity but if your there already its hard to miss. Great heavy Elizabeth time also, I am guessing you power cleaned it this time.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 05-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #709
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Ugh. I hope you work out your affiliate issues quickly, Kirez. Are you going to take that pullup complex to the shiny, new box or is that just going to be your jungle gym?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #710
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Patrick - I missed your response earlier. I haven't decided whether I'll design a new pullup bar system for the new box. With a roof overhead, I'd like to take advantage of it and have less of the obstruction of uprights. Most of our bars will be at 7'6" off the ground, with a skewed distribution down to 6' and up to 8'. Diameters will be about 65% at 1.5" thickness, with more of the bars below 7' height at 1.25" thick.

The new box is surrounded by windows with great visibility on all sides, so we won't be using the walls for supports. Just hanging them from the rafters.

I've added a new square onto my existing pullup bars, catty-corner instead of inline, all 4 bars at 7'6" and two of the bars are 1.25", two are 1.5" thick. I used a different powdercoat on them, with a texture instead of slick-smooth. I MUCH prefer the textured bars and the 7'6" height over the 7' height.

I've also built a 12-foot high support structure that is hella strong. It's a veritable tower. It holds 3 sets of rings, and one climbing rope. I haven't yet attached a platform to the top, but that's planned. The thing is so heavy (450 lbs) I haven't secured it to the ground yet. It doesn't shake at all from muscle-ups. I'm very pleased with the stability and strength.

So now we're doing muscle-ups, where before we ignored them or did, eg, 120 ring dips and 120 pullups, or bar muscle-ups.

Andy did this workout: in 20 minutes, AMRAP of 500 meter row and 5 muscle-ups.