CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #231
Ken DaSilva
Member Ken DaSilva is offline
 
Ken DaSilva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wellington  FL
Posts: 151
Re: CrossFit Games Qualifier Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R Tucker View Post
Just what is the definition of a sport as well?
Had to put this out there!

Quote:
From George Carlin's book Napalm and Silly Putty:

To my way of thinking there are really only three sports: baseball, basketball, and football. Everything else is either a game or an activity.

Hockey comes to mind. People think hockey is a sport. It's not. Hockey is three activities taking place at the same time: ice skating, fooling around with a puck, and beating the **** out of somebody. If these guys had more brains then teeth, they'd do these things one at a time. First go ice-skating, then fool around with a puck, then you go to the bar and beat the **** out of somebody. The day would last longer, and these guys would have a lot more fun. Another reason why hockey isn't a sport is that it's not played with a ball. Anything not played with a ball can't be a sport. These are my rules, I make 'em up.

Soccer. Soccer is not a sport because you can't use your arms. Anything where you can't use your arms can't be a sport. Tap dancing isn't a sport. I rest my case.

Running. People think running is a sport. Running isn't a sport because anybody can do it. I can run, you can run. For Christ sakes, my mother can run! You don't see her on the cover of Sports Illustrated, do you?

Swimming. Swimming isn't a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That's just common sense. Sailing isn't a sport. Sailing is a way to get somewhere. Riding the bus isn't a sport, why the **** should sailing be a sport?

Boxing is not a sport either. Boxing is a way to beat the **** out of somebody. In that respect, boxing is actually a more sophisticated way of hockey. In spite of what the police tell you, beating the **** out of somebody is not a sport. When police brutality becomes an Olympic event, fine, then boxing can be a sport.

Bowling. Bowling isn't a sport because you have to rent shoes. Don't forget, these are my rules. I make 'em up.

Billiards. Some people think billiards is a sport, but it can't be, because there's no chance of serious injury. Unless, of course, you welch on a bet in a tough neighborhood. Then, if you wind up with a pool cue stickin' out of your ***, you know you might be the victim of a sports-related injury. But that ain't billiards, that's pool, and that starts with a P, and that rhymes with D, and that brings me to darts.

Darts could have been a sport, because at least there's a chance to put someone's eye out. But, alas, darts will never be a sport, because the whole object of the game is to reach zero, which goes against all sports logic.

Lacrosse is not a sport; lacrosse is a ******y college activity. I don't care how rough it is, anytime you're running around a field, waving a stick with a little net on the end of it, you're engaged in a ******y college activity. Period.

Field hockey and fencing. Same thing. ******y college ****. Also these activities aren't sports, because you can't gamble on them. Anything you can't gamble on can't be a sport. When was the last time you made a ****in' fencing bet?

Gymnastics is not a sport because Romanians are good at it. It took me a long time to come up with that rule, but goddammit, I did it.

Polo isn't a sport. Polo is golf on horseback. Without holes. It's a great concept, but not a sport. And as far as water polo is concerned, I hesitate to even mention it, because it's extremely cruel to horses.

Which brings me to hunting. You think hunting is a sport? Ask the deer. The only good thing about hunting is the many fatal accidents on the weekends. And, of course, the permanently disfigured hunters who survive such accidents.

Then you have tennis. Tennis is very trendy and very fruity, but it's not a sport. It's just a way to meet other trendy fruits. Technically, tennis is an advanced form a Ping-Pong. In fact, tennis is Ping-Pong played while standing on the table. Great concept, not a sport.

In fact, all racket games are nothing more the derivatives of Ping-Pong. Even volleyball is, technically, racketless, team Ping-Pong played with an inflated ball and raised net while standing on the table.

And finally welcome to golf. For my full take on golf, I refer you elsewhere in the book, but let it just be said golf is a game that might possibly be fun, if it could be played alone. But it's the vacuous, striving, superficial, male-bonding joiners one has to associate with that makes it such a repulsive pastime. And it is decidedly not a sport. Period.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #232
Charles Bennington
Member Charles Bennington is offline
 
Charles Bennington's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sarasota  FL
Posts: 2,172
Re: CrossFit Games Qualifier Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R Tucker View Post
All my normal levity aside. This is a philosophical question indeed. I too have pondered such and wonder where the CF idealogoy will develop and to what end.

Just what is the definition of a sport as well?
I think that Crossfit very well is, and will grow, as a sport of its own. So long as there is organized competition in the community, I would consider it a sport. Would you place Lumberjack Games any lower or higher on the totem pole? Crossfit is combination of judged, competitive items that are all legitimate sports in their own right. Powerlifting, Gymnastics, Running, Rowing, and Olympic Lifting are all valued and seen as true sports. Why should Crossfit be any different even if it is just viewed as such from within our own community?
__________________
Patriotic Videos Please Support the Troops
Putting "FU" back in "FUN!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #233
Charles Bennington
Member Charles Bennington is offline
 
Charles Bennington's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sarasota  FL
Posts: 2,172
Re: CrossFit Games Qualifier Observations

Hell, even from within George Carlin's own rule set Crossfit becomes a sport: The can be balls involved as illustrated by the frequent use of Med Balls and there is most definitely ample opportunity for serious injury...And well, I haven't heard of any Romainian competitors yet.
__________________
Patriotic Videos Please Support the Troops
Putting "FU" back in "FUN!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #234
Daniel Olmstead
Member Daniel Olmstead is offline
 
Daniel Olmstead's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Berkeley  CA
Posts: 567
Re: CrossFit Games Qualifier Observations

How many of you know somebody who came to CrossFit as a means of improving at a specific sport, then eventually gave that sport up because it was getting in the way of their CrossFit? How many of you ARE that somebody?

I know quite a few...I think CF is a sport unto itself, not an assistance sport for other, more "legitimate" activities.
__________________
Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
M|31|6'4"|185 Goal: 200/10% On rock? Rock on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #235
Ken DaSilva
Member Ken DaSilva is offline
 
Ken DaSilva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wellington  FL
Posts: 151
Re: CrossFit Games Qualifier Observations

So that this thread can be put to rest, I've put my thoughts on what is a "sport" in a new thread:

What is a "sport"?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #236
Tom Seryak
Member Tom Seryak is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dublin  Ohio
Posts: 389
Re: CrossFit Games Qualifier Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
How many of you know somebody who came to CrossFit as a means of improving at a specific sport, then eventually gave that sport up because it was getting in the way of their CrossFit? How many of you ARE that somebody?

I know quite a few...I think CF is a sport unto itself, not an assistance sport for other, more "legitimate" activities.
Guilty as charged. Started Crossfit to "condition" for wrestling as a supplement, now it's the other way around.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:48 AM   #237
Jay Ashman
Member Jay Ashman is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Babylon  NY
Posts: 1,736
Re: CrossFit Games Qualifier Observations

I have no problems with events being harder than the norm. I hate double unders as well, but if a qualifier has them, tough ****... they should be practiced more.

I have a few problems with the qualifiers... so let me copy and paste from my blog in a post where I go through a few problems we can fix, as a community, to make us better:

From my blog: This is the best way to determine the proper athletes (I use athlete loosely because not all CrossFitters are athletes, I am an athlete but I know some CF’ers aren’t, but for the sake of discussion, I am using athlete) are present in Aromas, CA for the CF games itself.

Due to some recent discussions and possible controversies, a member from HQ should be SOLELY responsible for determining the events, organizing the event with cooperation from all area affiliates and allowing all affiliates to contribute equally to the regional event. That may mean allowing them all to know the events so proper equipment can be donated and all judging criteria can be ironed out before the actual event. There has been some controversy that certain people knew about the events or planned the events around their strengths, well by allowing all local affiliates to know the events, that problem is solved because then noboby will have an edge. If you are not an affiliate member and are doing this on your own (as I often do) well that is unfortunate, we just have to be good in all areas and be prepared for everything that will be thrown at us.

Nobody can compete in a regional that they are not a resident of. That means a guy from NorCal cannot travel to SoCal to compete. Period. This has to be set in stone. I know people like to travel, but travel to watch, not to compete. Compete in your home area against fellow athletes from your area.

There are MANY suggestions on programming. One person said to me have 5 workouts in a hopper and 3 random get chosen... this will have to be adjusted for next year and there is no easy solution, just a fair solution.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #238
Jeff R Tucker
Affiliate Jeff R Tucker is offline
 
Jeff R Tucker's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft Worth  TX
Posts: 1,173
Re: CrossFit Games Qualifier Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
I have no problems with events being harder than the norm. I hate double unders as well, but if a qualifier has them, tough ****... they should be practiced more.

I have a few problems with the qualifiers... so let me copy and paste from my blog in a post where I go through a few problems we can fix, as a community, to make us better:

From my blog: This is the best way to determine the proper athletes (I use athlete loosely because not all CrossFitters are athletes, I am an athlete but I know some CF’ers aren’t, but for the sake of discussion, I am using athlete) are present in Aromas, CA for the CF games itself.

Due to some recent discussions and possible controversies, a member from HQ should be SOLELY responsible for determining the events, organizing the event with cooperation from all area affiliates and allowing all affiliates to contribute equally to the regional event. That may mean allowing them all to know the events so proper equipment can be donated and all judging criteria can be ironed out before the actual event. There has been some controversy that certain people knew about the events or planned the events around their strengths, well by allowing all local affiliates to know the events, that problem is solved because then noboby will have an edge. If you are not an affiliate member and are doing this on your own (as I often do) well that is unfortunate, we just have to be good in all areas and be prepared for everything that will be thrown at us.

Nobody can compete in a regional that they are not a resident of. That means a guy from NorCal cannot travel to SoCal to compete. Period. This has to be set in stone. I know people like to travel, but travel to watch, not to compete. Compete in your home area against fellow athletes from your area.

There are MANY suggestions on programming. One person said to me have 5 workouts in a hopper and 3 random get chosen... this will have to be adjusted for next year and there is no easy solution, just a fair solution.

Jay - I disagree on one point. We had 4 or 5 not from this region in the competition. 3 fromWest Point in fact... it was fun to watch them and we all knew the scores would not count for anyone but them... We cleared it thru HQ and I agreed with them that it was cool to let them be here and see and compete in Hell's Half Acre. Just community stance.

One thing that I found funny - everyone thought we would throw out some wild arse gymnastic WOD... Was fun not too and keep em guessing.

tuck
__________________
WFS www.gsxCrossFit.blogspot.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #239
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: CrossFit Games Qualifier Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R Tucker View Post
Jay - I disagree on one point. We had 4 or 5 not from this region in the competition. 3 fromWest Point in fact... it was fun to watch them and we all knew the scores would not count for anyone but them... We cleared it thru HQ and I agreed with them that it was cool to let them be here and see and compete in Hell's Half Acre. Just community stance.

One thing that I found funny - everyone thought we would throw out some wild arse gymnastic WOD... Was fun not too and keep em guessing.

tuck
That didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it, tucker. At the beginning of the qualifier season, i was wondering if organizers would throw the HSPU and Muscle-ups into the events, and was pretty confident that there was no way that they would. It was nice to see them pop up more than once

That would have been funny though: "Iron Cross, for time"
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #240
Jay Ashman
Member Jay Ashman is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Babylon  NY
Posts: 1,736
Re: CrossFit Games Qualifier Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R Tucker View Post
Jay - I disagree on one point. We had 4 or 5 not from this region in the competition. 3 fromWest Point in fact... it was fun to watch them and we all knew the scores would not count for anyone but them... We cleared it thru HQ and I agreed with them that it was cool to let them be here and see and compete in Hell's Half Acre. Just community stance.

One thing that I found funny - everyone thought we would throw out some wild arse gymnastic WOD... Was fun not too and keep em guessing.

tuck
if their scores don't count for the region then no blood no foul.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
European Crossfit Games Qualifier Page Updated! Chris Kemp Competitions 24 04-09-2009 08:55 AM
Crossfit Games Qualifier for someone in Puerto Rico Bryan Bodden Competitions 1 03-27-2009 08:19 AM
MidWest Qualifier - CrossFit Games William Henniger Competitions 0 02-14-2009 08:53 AM
Great Basin Crossfit Games Qualifier Site Updated Damon Stewart Competitions 40 02-05-2009 03:00 PM
European Games Qualifier Scott Jenkins Competitions 0 01-09-2009 05:08 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.