CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #21
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Re: what movies do YOu guys like

David,

I'm not normally one to take movie advice, but I'll check that one out. I may be old enough, but I haven't seen it.

Watched High Noon again today. That and "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance" are my favorite American Westerns. The Proposition may be my favorite overall, and I can't say why, since it is quite dark, and I don't like dark movies. Perhaps an element of tragic redemption.

Thin Red Line, Rudy, Lord of the Rings, Iron Will, Saving Private Ryan: these are all movies I own and have watched multiple times. Since I have a very good memory, I rarely watch movies more than once.

Overall, I am a big fan of Andrei Tarkovsky, and Akira Kurosawa.

Have to roll. I'm sure I'll add to that.

Drive by posting is tough. I am many things, but laconic is not normally one of them.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
David,

I'm not normally one to take movie advice, but I'll check that one out. I may be old enough, but I haven't seen it.
You will either love it or hate it, I guarantee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Topo (safe)

It's probably better as a midnight screening, and if you're still in your 20's.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
Allison Bishop

Profile:

Oh my gosh, can't believe I forgot this one -

Radio

Saw it the other day and kept crying.. through the happy parts and the sad parts. It was a roller coaster for sure.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #24
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

David (and Barry),

El Topo has been in my queue for a while, still haven't got to it yet. I think I first heard about it from reading reviews of The Proposition oddly enough (yes, very disturbing). I'm not sure I would say it was good which is why I left it off...but still powerful.

howard
Old 12-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #25
David Wood

Profile:

The Last Wave was pretty good, too.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #26
Jason Neal

Profile:
Re: what movies do u guys like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Wilcox View Post
Agreed on Ronin for sure...and I think it has the best car-chase scenes of any movie out there (they seem way better done than the French Connection and Bullit, IMHO). Very well done. And lots of sigs, which is always a plus.

howard
While I think Ronin is real cool, I wouldn't go so far as to say that car chase was better than Bullit. We're talking about Steve Stinkin' McQueen. But if we're going there, than why not that sweet motorcycle scene in The Great Escape. Now THAT'S a movie.

Right now, I'm watching As Good As it Gets. Nicholson is too good.

btw, in Ronin, what do you think was in that briefcase?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #27
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

I know, like Steve McQueen as much as anyone, but the chases in Ronin made me physically tense while watching them.

I think the case was a Macguffin (wfs):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

howard
Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #28
Shane Skowron

Profile:

My top 6 (because I couldn't choose just 5):

Gladiator
Black Hawk Down
The Bourne Identity
Das Boot
The Good The Bad The Ugly
Full Metal Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
David,

Thin Red Line, Rudy, Lord of the Rings, Iron Will, Saving Private Ryan: these are all movies I own and have watched multiple times.

I am a huge fan of war movies, but Thin Red Line was simply awful. I really don't see the appeal of that. Images of guys in the field juxtaposed with random pictures of monkeys and birds?

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 12-21-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #29
David Sailor

Profile:

Kingpin and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

And any horror movies. If the movie has any factual basis, ( The Haunting of Emily Rose, The Mothman Prophecies) it just creeps me out.

Rob Zombie movies.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #30
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Thin Red Line wasn't a war movie. I think even Sean Penn and Woody Harrelson didn't understand that. That's why they signed on. Neither is all that bright.

Shane, you may want to check out Stalingrad, by the same director as Das Boot. There is no question that our own Battle of the Bulge was awful, but it was worse at Stalingrad, for all sides.

I used to cite the Australian movie "Bliss" as my favorite movie. I haven't seen it in many years, so my views may have changed, but I still think it worth watching.

At one time, I was a major cinephile. I've never liked noir, but have no problem with tragedies.

Every movie I've seen by Krisztof Kieslowski has been excellent. I own "Heaven", with Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi. That film messes with plot in very interesting ways.

I don't know how I would pick best. I think the point needs to be underscored that films have powerful effects on your unconscious. Images remain much longer than words do, in general, and quite often below the level of awareness. Everyone, in my view, needs to be very careful of what movies they consume, for the simple reason that you are in some measure making decisions as to who and how you want to be. In the same sense that physical nutrition matters, so too does mental nutrition, in the forms of music, cinema, and whatever other art you "consume".

Art, I think, is most usefully approached as an interaction between you and another mind, that in the best outcome forms within you a new whole that sponsors your own creativity.

Many, many films float within my awareness, and most of them I have chosen to support or at least not detract from the sort of person I aim to be.

Enough lecturing. Yes, I have seen the new James Bond film. I was disappointed at some of the patent stupidity in it--I had hoped he would be moved closer to the sort of man who could actually survive as a spy--but it was still entertaining.

David, I will take your second suggestion as well. I'll watch both of those over this break, and a Polish film on the Katyn Woods massacre that's been on my list for some time.