CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-21-2006, 01:40 AM   #11
John Velandra

Profile:
Looks great!

Question - what size screws do you use? Do they strip out of the wood over time or have you take measures to secure them with more than just 4 screws???
Old 04-21-2006, 04:51 AM   #12
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Veronica, that's not high enough for you? (don't hit me, don't hit me). Great set up.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #13
Don Woodson

Profile:
:rofl::rofl:..................:blush:>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 04-21-2006, 07:21 AM   #14
Ryan Kirk

Profile:
I went with the 48" because I am a tall person and wanted to have a wide reach available. Also, If I add rings I can slide them to the side and they should be out of the way.

I think the screws should hold up, they are #12 so that is pretty large diameter. You could opt for lag bolts and put a nut/washer on the other side if you wanted it even more secure.

As for the angled joist I would try it and see. These parts are cheap. If it breaks then you know it does not work.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #15
Will Nuse

Profile:
True enough.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #16
John Velandra

Profile:
The reason I ask is that seems like a great cost efficient way of putting up bars for a studio and just want to keep liability down. lol

(Message edited by dif01 on April 21, 2006)
Old 04-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Nice, Larry! Real nice! :crazy:
Old 04-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #18
Ted Williams

Profile:
I've got the same system in my garage...had it about 4 months now (can't remember exactly)...it shakes quite a bit, mostly because it seems to be coming loose at all the joints. I'm a little freaked about kipping too hard on it, so I have been doing less of that...don't want it to break and bust my *** or something....
Old 04-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #19
Dennis Yiatras

Profile:

My storage deck shakes and rattles when I kip but I have had no problem with it so far for the last 16 months. I even use my second set of rings on it for dips and pushups..
Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 PM   #20
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
Just found this site a week or so ago. Was trying to figure out how I was going to do this just this week. Went straight to the hardware store from work to buy the items to install in my garage. Maybe should have went home first. Measure twice, cut once, right? They had 18" pipe pre-cut that I figured to use for the vertical pieces. Figured this should be plenty of clearance for the head. The garage is sheetrocked walls and ceiling, just figured would bust out a hole large enough for the mounting... this is more important, right? Garage is 8'. May gain a couple of inches by where I mount the mounting plates. Figure even 15" down from the ceiling, leaves 6'9". Rough estimate, I'm 5'10 and can probably reach about 7'4" flat footed. I know standard pullups, but haven't read up or tried kipping yet. Is all of this ok if I just bend at the knees, or waist for Ls? How much head clearance should I need for regular pullups or possibly more for kipping? Is this possible in your standard 8' garage? Thanks in advance.