CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Alexander Busch

Profile:
Muscle Fatigue

So I've been CrossFitting for 3 years-ish and I've always had the same problem. My muscles, most notably my legs, fatigue really quickly especially in a high rep situation. I eat well (zone, around 19-20 blocks a day). I'm wondering if I need to up my intake of any of the macros to make that go away.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Chad Ashton

Profile:
Re: Muscle Fatigue

I have the same issue. Despite being a cyclist that can ride a bike 100 miles in a day, CF seems to really tax my legs like no other. Of course I just started and I expect to see improvements over time, I've never in my life been a high endurance machine. Because of that, I have recently started using Beta-Alanine to see if that helps. It takes some time to build up in the body and really start working, but it's cheap enough to give it a try to see how well it works for me. Might be worth looking in to.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

How about working on your back squat strenght. We dont know which exercises are you doing that really tax yer legs, but for example if yer doing Fran with 135 and your BS is 300 thats rougly half the weight you can do, up that to 500 and it will be a third of it and a lot easier to do.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Alexander Busch

Profile:

I work back squat at least 3 times a week as part of Ben Bergeron's competition WOD. For instance this morning we did Nasty Girls (3rft 50 air squats 7 muscle ups 10 hang power cleans 135) and by the second round of squats, my legs were done. I'll try beta alanine.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

You could try baking soda. Although you'll need to start slowly to assess tolerance (it can cause gastric and intestinal upset).

Quote:
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is a supplement that provides dietary bicarbonate, which can increase serum levels of bicarbonate (normally produced by the kidneys) and subsequently buffer acid production in the body. The main mechanism of action of sodium bicarbonate is in negating the effects of acidosis. It provides benefits both in situations of chronic mild acidosis, commonly seen in metabolic ailments or during aging as kidney function slowly declines, and in exercise-induced acidosis.

In athletes, the standard doses of sodium bicarbonate supplementation (200-300 mg/kg) tend to reliably benefit performance when failure on the exercise is associated with metabolic acidosis, aka “the burn.” Sports where failure occurs due to the cardiorespiratory system or due to force production by the central nervous system (e.g., single sprints or rowing in elite rowers) do not appear to reliably benefit from supplemental bicarbonate.
http://examine.com/supplements/Sodium+Bicarbonate/ (wfs)

Read the full article for dosing, cautions and other suggestions if you want to give it a try.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Still...IMO...if yer lacking some nutritions its better to solve that via regular food.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Jason Bekolay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Bailey View Post
You could try baking soda. Although you'll need to start slowly to assess tolerance (it can cause gastric and intestinal upset).

Read the full article for dosing, cautions and other suggestions if you want to give it a try.
Wouldn't this essentially be like taking an antacid? why baking soda and not an alka seltzer or something like that?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Can you be more descriptive about this fatigue? What are the specific circumstances and feelings?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bekolay View Post
Wouldn't this essentially be like taking an antacid? why baking soda and not an alka seltzer or something like that?
Alka seltzer contains sodium bicarbonate, but it also contains aspirin and anhydrous citric acid. If all you're looking for is the increase in serum bicarbonate, then there is no need to consume additional substances. Also, you can probably monitor and control your dose better with pure baking soda.

I have not personally supplemented with baking powder (or alka seltzer for that matter), but the article seems to cite some persuasive research supporting its efficacy.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Bailey View Post

From personal Experience, Dont do it. I learned about this in Exercise Physiology, did some research, seemed awesome. Tried it out and put me in the bathroom for a while.

But to answer your question man. Your problem is just a weakness you have. Just as someone may have a trouble with high rep push press, HSPU, or pull ups There is no magic nutrition secret. There are supplements such as beta-alanine, that work to help to buffer acid. You need to increase your lactate threshold as well as increasing your Aerobic capacity. Thats going to come from continued consistent training targeted towards your weakness.