CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Reducing high LDL levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Any post that says "limit eggs" is not to be taken serious, that is old school, new studies have shown otherwise.

Not to mention that most of cholesterol is made within our body and only minor amounts are digested from food, etc...

I suggest OP to read this blog:

http://eatingacademy.com/category/cholesterol-2
There is a lot of conflicting research on the effects of egg consumption and CVD risk. However, it has been established that dietary cholesterol increases serum LDL cholesterol levels and this is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Therefore, it is recommended that cholesterol intake should be as low as possible while consuming a nutritionally adequate diet. Admittedly this recommendation is based in part on the precautionary principle rather than hard clinical evidence, but that does not make it bad advice.

Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients) ( 2005 ) / 9 Cholesterol. (wfs)
Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Strange, because:

http://www.mendeley.com/research/new...ol-absorption/

...most of the cholesterol we eat dont get absorbed at all.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson J Havelka View Post
My mom recently got some blood work done and her results were as followed:
Lipid Panel: 252
Triglycerides: 68
HDL: 72
VLDL: 14
LDL: 166

She is a 56 year old woman with hyper-thyroidism. The thyroid disease definitely effects the cholesterol. I just wanted to hear some of your takes on ways to lower the LDL through food, supplementation, etc. She talked to the doctor and he was saying to cut out a lot of healthy fats which didn't seem right to me, so that is why I came to my fellow peers.
Thanks
Are you sure it is hyperthyroidism and not hypothyroidism? "Both plasma low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) increase in hypothyroidism and decrease in hyperthyroidism." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10843165 (WFS)

Assuming she has hypothyroidism, resolving that needs to be the focus of her efforts. Otherwise, she will be treating a symptom (elevated LDL) and not the cause of the problem (thyroid disfunction).

If it is hypothyroidism, she'll need to make sure she knows whether it is a result of Hashimoto's or not. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune form of hypothyroidism. Iodine deficiency is the most common cause of hypothyroidism worldwide. In some cases, supplementing with iodine can help. However, if the hypothyroidism is caused by Hashimoto's, then additional iodine, especially in supplement form, increases the autoimmune attack on the thyroid. So, it is not something you want to guess and just see what works.

I wouldn't rely solely on a primary care physician for this treatment. If she isn't already working with an endocrinologist or some other doctor knowledgeable in thyroid issues, that would be my first recommendation.