CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Todd Neal

Profile:
Re: Food/recipe and general fat loss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Soriano View Post
...two twists of sea salt grinder...
Whoah! A twist to far. Cut it back to one and watch the fat melt away!

Also, just want to be clear that I didn't suggest a paleo or zone diet; it seems like you may have thought that based on your response.

Last edited by Todd Neal : 08-23-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Mary Lou Ames

Profile:
Smile Re: Food/recipe and general fat loss help

Wow, great job!! I would recommend the trim line from ********, it'll help you break through the plateau there are some awesome products that really help with endurance! Spark gives me great energy, and it's amazing once you combine the 24 Day Challenge and CrossFit - I had awesome results. I went from a 33" waist to a 28" waist, and I eat really well. I can send some healthy recipes your way as well. Eating clean is really half the battle in my opinion! These girls have great recipes too:

http://toneitup.com/recipes.php?category=Recipes (and it's not just for women lol)

https://www.********.com/121029811/S...&id=A&flavor=b

-Mary

Quote:
Hey folks!

So, I'm crossfitting about 4 times a week, but am modifying to 3 times a week with 2-3 martial arts classes a week. I have been increasing my numbers pretty dramatically from when I started. These are from what Ive PR'd during normal WODs at the gym, so I don't know what my 1RM are, just my high end working weight, but I'd imagine it's pretty close to the below.

Deadlifts: 245
Front squat: about 185
Back squat: about 225
Snatch: about 125
Bench: not sure
Clean: about 145

I have some technique stuff I have to work on with pulling from the ground hurting my snatch and clean numbers a bit, and haven't benched in a while, so I'm not too sure about my upper body strength at the moment, but I can do about 5 handstand pushups with an ab mat, so I'm not completely weak.

What I don't have is endurance, so conditioning WODs are usually incomplete for me.

I've also seen noticeable muscle growth.

What I haven't seen is lower body fat %. I got calipers, and for the past 6 months or so, I seem to have remained at 22% body fat. I still have a stomach despite getting much stronger, growing muscle, and last I checked, I'd lost about 20lbs from 190 to about 170 in the past year (I'm 5'8, btw), and it's really starting to bother me.

I've been intermittent fasting, usually only having about 1-2 meals a day, and 1-2 protein shakes a day, totaling about 1700 calories a day. I'm also taking 1 VPX meltdown a day, and some fish oil (flameout) and training fasted, but the % doesn't seem to move.

I read that some nutrition and exercise programs are expecting .3-.4% body fat reduction weekly.

I figure a part of it is my poor endurance requiring more cardio, so I've started my martial arts back up, and am considering a weekly CF endurance session.

But I know my nutrition is poor, so I figured I'd lay out my life story and see if anyone has any suggestions for recipe collections, portions, cookbooks, premade meals, etc, that might help me improve my dietary habits with my goal of fat loss/recomposition?

Also, any other advice. Am I expecting too much? Too little? Going about it the wrong way? Not enough/too many calories given my activity level?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
Mary Lou Ames

Profile:

Eating clean is really half the battle in my opinion! These girls have great recipes:

http://toneitup.com/recipes.php?category=RecipesYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE (and it's not just for women lol)

-Mary
Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Jose Soriano

Profile:

So I've been eating more the past couple of days, and will continue to do so for a month and see what happens, but a couple of things have been bouncing around in my head.

Supposedly in order to burn fat I need to remain in a calorie deficit, while eating enough carbs to not burn muscle. Based on the calorie tracker app I was using (myfitnesspal) I was supposed to be at about 2000 to maintain, so being at 1700 I should be losing, no? I also need 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle, and since I'm at about 170 and 22% fat, I should be eating about 132 grams of protein which is already less than a 6-8oz steak. Throw the shakes on top, and I'm already taking in more than I should be based on my understanding. The shakes also cover the 50 grams of carbs, so everything else is already extra, and was starting to think that that was the problem.

I'm not worried about the weight on the scale, I'm just using it for some calculation and comparison, and I have no endurance because I've never had any endurance and haven't really been working on it, but even now that it's at near zero it's improved over what it used to be.

So I'm trying to figure out where my reasoning was wrong so I can correct it. I'm not trying to get huge or anything. I'm trying to get strong, yeah, but also lean. I'm just trying to make sense of what's going on here. Also, eating more is good, I'll do that, but my question is still, "eat what?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
Whoah! A twist to far. Cut it back to one and watch the fat melt away!

Also, just want to be clear that I didn't suggest a paleo or zone diet; it seems like you may have thought that based on your response.
lol no not at all, I was just sharing my experience and agreeing with you.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

you are weak and have no endurance because your training and diet stink and you aren't eating enough. follow a good strength program. double your food intake. eat 300/200/100 carbs/protein/fat for 2 months while lifting heavy and sprinting and jumping all the time.

here is an article that applies to you too...

http://johnwelbourn.powerathletehq.c...-training-for/ link WFS

if you really want to track 1700 calories then fine, do it, and call it breakfast. that would be a good start to your day.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
Jose Soriano

Profile:

I read the article and that's where I'm confused. I don't think I'm communicating properly.

My performance has tripled since I started CF, especially my strength. I have gotten more explosive. I PR almost every week. But my goal is not just to gain strength.

The guy in the article, Dan, said he wanted to put on muscle and stop being lean. My goal is actually to burn fat and get lean. My waist is currently at 36 inches, where its been for a long time. I'd like to bring it down to 30.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Supposedly in order to burn fat I need to remain in a calorie deficit, while eating enough carbs to not burn muscle.
In order to burn fat, you need to keep insulin levels low enough to allow the glycogen in your fat cells to be broken down and used for energy production--it has nothing to do with whether or not you're in a deficit. Unless your fat cells are insulin sensitive, which it doesn't sound like they are. At least that's how I understand it.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
Jose Soriano

Profile:

That makes sense, but doesn't the intermittent fasting help with insulin sensitivity?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #19
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
In order to burn fat, you need to keep insulin levels low enough to allow the glycogen in your fat cells to be broken down and used for energy production--it has nothing to do with whether or not you're in a deficit. Unless your fat cells are insulin sensitive, which it doesn't sound like they are. At least that's how I understand it.
Of course the caloric amount needs to taken in account! Seriously I wonder where the common sense is sometimes. If you consume more energy than you use where do you think that energy is going to go? I've got a hint for you, it won't magically vaporize.

Last edited by Paul Coomans : 08-27-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #20
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
I also need 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle, and since I'm at about 170 and 22% fat, I should be eating about 132 grams of protein which is already less than a 6-8oz steak. Throw the shakes on top, and I'm already taking in more than I should be based on my understanding.
Just to clarify for you, 3 oz. of lean sirloin steak has about 25g of protein. It would take about 1 lb. of steak to reach your goal of 132 g of protein per day. Don't confuse a gram of steak with a gram of protein.

http://cronometer.com/printfood.html...iled&food=4604 (wfs)