CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
Stanley Walter

Profile:
Re: Nitric Oxide

Not sure why you need anything else than a good diet and some creatine.

I've been hitting some awesome PRs all year long, and I haven't done anything different than my 'previous' routine other than take creatine every single day right after lunch.

Even when I'm sleep deprived, or just tired from work, I can still plow through a workout fine enough.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Where is the science showing a 2g dose of orally ingested arginine will do ANYTHING for NO production? How about citrulline in a 500mg dose?

Like I said...
An example of something that has some science behind the general idea, but as you note the supplement is underdosed (if it is useful at all).

Arganine: http://examine.com/supplements/Arginine/ (wfs)

Quote:
For acute doses taken on a relatively empty stomach (such as a pre-workout supplement), oral doses of 3-6 g are used, and 5-6 g may be the ideal dose (similar serum increases in arginine as lower and higher doses with no intestinal side effects). Doses of 10 g have been noted to cause diarrhea when taken in this manner however, and thus are inadvisable.
Quote:
The main mechanism by which arginine supplementation (and by extension, L-Citrulline supplementation) influences blood health is through being the substrate for nitric oxide synthase (NOS) enzymes to produce Nitric Oxide from, which then signals via soluble cyclic guanylyl receptors to produce cGMP. The production of nitric oxide and subsequent production of intracellular cGMP underlie a good deal of arginine's benefits.
Quote:
Studies in otherwise healthy athletes taking L-arginine are quite mixed; there are instances where biomarkers of nitric oxide metabolism are increased[96][96] while other studies fail to note any modification.[97][98][99]
Citrulline: http://examine.com/supplements/Citrulline/ (wfs)

Quote:
The lower end of dosing appears to be one gram (1,000mg) of citrulline taken thrice a day with meals, totalling 3,000mg at the end of the day. This appears to be somewhat effective for promoting circulatory health and alleviating erectile dysfunction (possible ED associated with high blood pressure).

For ergogenic (performance enhancing) purposes, a dose in the range of 6,000-8,000mg is taken acutely about an hour before exercise.
With regard to Nitric Oxide as a supplement:

http://examine.com/topics/Nitric+Oxide/ (wfs)

Quote:
Nitric Oxide, per se, is unstable and has a short half-life; it exerts its benefits rapidly, but has no role as a supplment in and of itself. NO supplementation required other compounds that influence the internal NO production system.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Robert Nassry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
Any thoughts on taking a Nitric Oxide supplement before workouts (or even before bed)? Different forms are direct Nitric Oxide, arginine, and beetroot juice. I keep finding different opinions.. Thanks in advance.
I use a product called Agmatine Q10 by Fight Labs. The active ingredient for Nittic Oxide is agmatine sulfate, the other is an anti-oxidant Ubiqionol by Kaneka. Arginine is old school and never really worked well. Agmatine sulfate works for around 3 hours or so.
I take 2 capsules which gives me 1,000mg of agmatine sulfate about 1 hour before training. It really opens up the blood flow. I don't get winded and I don't seem to feel pain like I normally would. You really through off a lot of heat when your on this. If I place my had about 5 inches in front of my chest mid workout, I can feel the heat radiating off my chest. The t-shirts are soaked top to bottom. It's not a stimulant, it's pure Nitric Oxide. If you wanted to you could combine it with a stimulant product.
I know there are some supplements out there that claim to have agmatine sulfate. One thing I've learned is that if the label has any other Nitric Oxide ingredient listed on the label like arginine, it means the just put in a pinch of agmatine sulfate. The minimum effective dose is 650mg, so when I take 1,000mg its off the hook.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #14
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Supplement with heavy squats and drink milk. Dbol is banned by WADA so we owe it to ourselves to man up and make our own through the described means.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:46 PM   #15
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Latest study on beetroot:

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/conten...egu.00099.2015 WFS

Quote:
We conclude that: 1) chronic supplementation with BRJ lowers BP and vascular resistance at rest and during exercise and attenuates RPP during exercise and 2) these effects may be due, in part, to enhanced endothelial-induced vasodilation in contracting skeletal muscle. BRJ can act as a dietary neutracuetical capable of enhancing O2 delivery and reducing work of the heart such that exercise can be performed at a given workload.