CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Guillermo Gonzalez

Profile:
Taking Omega3

Dr. recommended me a pill of Omega3 a day for a 1 month treatment 5 weeks ago. I have been a crossfitter for a while and as usual my muscles are always sore from the hardwork of my WOD's. While I was taking the Om3 pill i didnt feel my muscles that sore as before and now that I am not taking them any more I feel the same as before (good pain) . Is this just in my mind or does Om3 really helps with the soreness and recovery on my muscles? Should I keep taking them or just try to compliment more Omega3 on my daily meals? Hope to get a response. Cheers
Old 07-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Taking Omega3

http://www.examiner.com/article/fish...uscle-recovery
WFS

Its always better to try and fix missing nutritions with real food. Do you eat fish, how often?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Guillermo Gonzalez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
WFS

Its always better to try and fix missing nutritions with real food. Do you eat fish, how often?
Thats an interesting article, I do eat fish about once or twice a week. I thought I was getting better muscle recovery but seems i was not. Gonna check out a little more info on this. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

not only do you want to be eating the 'good stuff' you also want to avoid eating the high omega-6 'bad stuff'. Based on my knowledge omega-6s cause inflammation and corn fed meat fats have a lot of them.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Same for coconut and peanut "products" (they are both mainly only omega6 fats), but people love them
Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Same for coconut and peanut "products" (they are both mainly only omega6 fats), but people love them
Omega 6 fats are polyunsaturated. The fat in coconut is almost all saturated fat.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
not only do you want to be eating the 'good stuff' you also want to avoid eating the high omega-6 'bad stuff'. Based on my knowledge omega-6s cause inflammation and corn fed meat fats have a lot of them.
I agree that avoiding omega-6 is as important (or in my mind more important) than consuming omega-3. However, I think too much stock is put in the o6/o3 ratio and content of grassfed meat.

A lean 6 oz. steak has about 22 grams of fat in it, of which less than 1 gram is pufa. Fat in beef is mostly saturated and monounsaturated.
http://tinyurl.com/lv5g4fk (wfs)

So while the ratio is better in grassfed beef, you are dealing in absolute amounts that are so small, it is likely to not make a big difference in the context of your overall diet.

Here is an interesting article addressing the issue by Peter Ballerstedt a forage product manager. He's not a factory farm supporter and I saw him speak at the Ancestral Health Symposium last year.
http://grassbasedhealth.blogspot.com...-in-omega.html (wfs)

(Just to be clear, I think grassfed beef is more healthy, better for the environment, etc. I just put the pufa content and ratio way down on the list when it comes to beef.)
Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
WFS

Since when rats have Eaten fish? Perhaps the lame study should have done a study that utilizes a study that compares apples to apples.

Right from the study.
This study should bring to awareness that high doses of fish and fish oils may impede anabolic pathways, at least in rats. No studies in humans with high doses of fish oils have been conducted yet.

Here, I am more incline to accept

2011/02/28
Cancer Fish Oil Benefits Post Chemo Weight & Muscle Mass Maintenance *
Murphy RA, Mourtzakis M, Chu QS, et al. Nutritional intervention with fish oil provides a benefit over standard of care for weight and skeletal muscle mass in patients with nonsmall cell lung cancer receiving chemotherapy. Cancer. 2011 Feb 28. doi: 1
BACKGROUND: Involuntary weight loss is a major contributor to mortality and morbidity in patients with advanced cancer. Nutritional intervention with fish oil (FO)-derived eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) may prevent deterioration of body composition. This study compared intervention with FO with standard of care (SOC; no intervention) with regard to weight, skeletal muscle, and adipose tissue in newly referred patients with nonsmall cell lung cancer from the time of initiation to completion of first-line chemotherapy.

METHODS: Forty patients completed the study; there were 16 in the FO group (dose of 2.2 g of EPA/day) and 24 patients in the SOC group. Skeletal muscle and adipose tissue were measured using computed tomography images. Blood was collected and weight was recorded at baseline and throughout chemotherapy.

RESULTS: Patients in the SOC group experienced an average weight loss of 2.3 0.9 kg whereas patients receiving FO maintained their weight (0.5 1.0 kg) (P = .05). Patients with the greatest increase in plasma EPA concentration after FO supplementation were found to have the greatest gains in muscle (r(2) = 0.55; P = .01). Approximately 69% of patients in the FO group gained or maintained muscle mass. Comparatively, only 29% of patients in the SOC group maintained muscle mass, and overall the SOC group lost 1 kg of muscle. No difference in total adipose tissue was observed between the 2 groups.

CONCLUSIONS: Nutritional intervention with 2.2 g of FO per day appears to provide a benefit over SOC, resulting in the maintenance of weight and muscle mass during chemotherapy.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21360698 wfs