CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #1431
Benji Whitehead

Profile:
Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

I know I'll get flamed for this but whatever.....

I'd love to see somebody like Tim Tebow or Vernon Davis in the games, especially if they knew how to do the technical lifts and "CrossFit stuff" like muscleups, etc.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #1432
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Whitehead View Post
I know I'll get flamed for this but whatever.....

I'd love to see somebody like Tim Tebow or Vernon Davis in the games, especially if they knew how to do the technical lifts and "CrossFit stuff" like muscleups, etc.
I'd love to see Tebow in the games as well. And see his soul get crushed, just like in the NFL.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #1433
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'd like to see Tebow in the games. He's got a lot of heart.

But if he frick'n bends a knee pre-WOD, I would hope some damn blind luck screws his WOD. Like a slippery bar or bar failure. Nothing fatal.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #1434
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I'd like to see Tebow in the games. He's got a lot of heart.

But if he frick'n bends a knee pre-WOD, I would hope some damn blind luck screws his WOD. Like a slippery bar or bar failure. Nothing fatal.
By that standard the Home Depot Centre should have been hit by a hailstorm or two after Fatty McPreachy asked God to bless GNC and Reebok.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #1435
Andy Luten

Profile:

I'm a very strong believer in Christ, but that prayer (as mentioned) was ridiculous.

At the end, he said "and ALL GOD'S PEOPLE SAID", hoping for a big "AMEN!", and instead I cracked up when I heard about 40 people in unison say "WTF?"
Old 07-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #1436
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Thor was probably smiting an ettin, wenching, or getting a beer from the beer garden. In pretty much that order.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #1437
Thomas Davenport

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
I'd love to see Tebow in the games as well. And see his soul get crushed, just like in the NFL.
They're both far too big. Crossfit is a small man's game.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #1438
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
I'm genuinely curious as to why you think this event wasn't worth 100pts? I don't have a strong opinion either way, but would like to hear yours.
Honestly, if you watch the "real" obstacle course it contains a double bar, up and over, and a ~20ft rope climb. These are two of the (if not the most) difficult parts of the course and they skipped them for no apparent reason. If you watch what they did at the games it was more or less about jumping over obstacles (favors the taller competitors strongly, watch Spencer hurdle them), and swinging over a bar (favored the gymnasts, especially the taller ones (why T won it)). It was ~30-40 seconds a piece, for max of three rounds. They tested this domain with the sprint WOD which was 50pts. It seemed redundant given the later events, not difficult, and didn't appear to give proper placement (i.e. slipping was the difference between 5th and last) due to fitness (you did better if you watched your footing and stayed consistent rather try to sprint/hurry through). I think it is a good event, I think it has some good application and tests some things, but don't punish a guy who slips and make that the difference between 2nd and 4th, or possibly more. Guess that's sports though.

As far as being 'cute' goes, It seemed like everything had a twist. Instead of a straight sprint triathlon it had to be in sand, with flippers, with one speed bikes. Instead of the real o-course, it was tweaked. Instead of power snatch it was a (inconsequential) split snatch, instead of a regular sled it was some weird tackling dummy sled (might as well have been a car), instead of regular thrusters it was an axle, instead of muscle-ups it was burpee muscle-ups -- etc. Just little changes to almost everything that made it a bit odd. It lost the feel of "oh, I've done that." or "Oh, I'd like to try that" - We dont all have parallettes, 150lb med balls, sled dummies, big-bobs, obstacle courses, axles, or the things for double banger...really there is only one or two new workouts you can 'recreate', which I think kinda sucks. I guess I just miss the beauty of "Amanda" followed by "Triple Helen" and "Max STO" -- Pistol, DL, DU, Moving Sandbags, and Cleans/Ring HSPU -- The final had the walls but is recreateable. That entire year was so beautifully programmed, difficult, and doable. Don't get me wrong, I think some of it was really awesome. The Med-Ball, HSPU WoD was brutal, so was big-bob, and I like burpee muscle-ups. Just saying, sometimes it doesn't hurt to have a simple couplet or two.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43

Last edited by Jeff Binek : 07-19-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #1439
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
Somewhere Matt Chan is reading this and cashing his 2nd place check at 34 years old...

No doubt, I think the 'older' guys have the experience, the strength and the ability to be up there. As Mikko said after last year, a lot of it comes down to who is healthiest going into that weekend. Bottom line is the younger you are, the better chance you have of being fresh/healthy as the weekend goes on, they will simply have less of a chance of dropping off compared to everyone else. I'm not saying it is impossible for older guys to do well, I just think you will consistently see the younger guys do better. Mikko and Josh are freaks (thought Josh was older admittedly) and if they can be healthy going into the weekend they have all the capacity to be competitive. Just like Grundler, Chan, Rob O., Kasperbauer, etc.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #1440
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Thanks, Jeff. I can't think of a good reason not to complete the entire o-course either, and rewarding such a quick and potentially flukey (i.e. slipping) workout with 100pts does seem excessive.

Re: Tim Tebow. Please, no. Not in Crossfit. I had to hear about him ENDLESSLY in college ball. No one was happier than me when he graduated Florida (with the possible exception of Les Miles and Nick Saban). Probably a good dude, but media coverage on him is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay oversaturated. I can only imagine the idolatry that would be present in the CF media if he were to compete. No, no, no.