CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Michael Kelley

Profile:
Re: Burpees? Push up or belly on ground?

A burpee is just getting chest and belly to the ground and then getting up with a jump at the end. The other stuff is a combination of a squat thrust, pushup, squat jump. They serve different purposes, and I wouldn't call one version "better" or "harder," but the first is actually a "burpee."
Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #12
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
A burpee is just getting chest and belly to the ground and then getting up with a jump at the end. The other stuff is a combination of a squat thrust, pushup, squat jump. They serve different purposes, and I wouldn't call one version "better" or "harder," but the first is actually a "burpee."
I disagree. The military have used burpees since before CrossFit was a glint in Glassman's eye. It's a push up followed by a squat thrust/jump. Also check out the CrossFit definition as posted by Andrew.

This new thing is, as far as I can tell, a sprawl and has only become apparent since the explosion of MMA so I'd be inclined to just say it's a sprawl, or 'sprawl burpee'.

Yes, the burpee is a conditioning exercise. But are you telling me if you perform strict burpees you can't feel a conditioning effect? You can perform box jumps quicker without opening the hip at the top but that's not correct is it?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #13
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Correct is what the rules say.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
...(3). Leap up as high as possible from the squat position...
bawhahahah!

Some of our most elite specimens barely get their feet off the floor. But just because they use that type of form doesn't mean I do (and I most often keep the strict push-up in my burpees as well).
Old 07-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
I disagree. The military have used burpees since before CrossFit was a glint in Glassman's eye. It's a push up followed by a squat thrust/jump. Also check out the CrossFit definition as posted by Andrew.

This new thing is, as far as I can tell, a sprawl and has only become apparent since the explosion of MMA so I'd be inclined to just say it's a sprawl, or 'sprawl burpee'.

Yes, the burpee is a conditioning exercise. But are you telling me if you perform strict burpees you can't feel a conditioning effect? You can perform box jumps quicker without opening the hip at the top but that's not correct is it?

I agree. Although I don't really care too much about what a burpee is and isn't in all of this thread - I knew what a burpee was 20 years ago from the military - and it was called burpee too. I distinctly recall a conditioning effect of the 6 count burpee and we even puked too. If done inside, there'd be a giant sweat and saliva pool on the ground underneath us - the staff would make us hold certain numbers for a while too - so you'd hold 2 and then 3 and then 4 for quite some time. (sometimes, a few mountain climbers were thrown in or the push-up would be repeated too) We never went chest to ground, but it you had to get 2" or less and that was pretty tough to hold after a while. There wasn't the out and out gassing effect that the sprawl move has, but it had the same psychological affect and it was physically demanding all the same.

I think the crossfit sprawl has come about because of the standards. All we need do is get chest to ground then open hips (sometimes) with some air under the feet. There's many ways to do that and the 6 count (strict burpee?) is too slow..... I even go to one knee etc to get up and get down continuously ... that wouldn't have been acceptable in the military and would have had to do more.

This is the same silly argument of strict vs kipping pullups or dips etc. They all have their respective place and fans. How about HRPU ? I think those are easier than chest&thigh to ground without the rest err I meant plyo-release.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post

My basis for my definition is years of doing it in the Army and teaching it in OCS.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

almost every exercise has been modified by CF competitors with one goal in mind of shaving off precious seconds: bouncing DL and O.lifts, butterfly kip, kipping ring-dips and HSPU, L-sit with bent legs, etc. Yes they are ugly and sometimes unfair in competition. I guess when every second counts there is no place for "honest" exercises. That is the price we pay for making fitness a sport.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19

Last edited by Alexander Kornishev : 07-20-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
almost every exercise has been modified by CF competitors with one goal in mind of shaving off precious seconds: bouncing DL and O.lifts, butterfly kip, kipping ring-dips and HSPU, L-sit with bent legs, etc. Yes they are ugly and sometimes unfair in competition. I guess when every second counts there is no place for "honest" exercises. That is the price we pay for making fitness a sport.
Seriously?

The move meets the standard established by the competition. Therefore it is honest, by definition. Saying that a move that exploits the leeway in the standard is "dishonest" is like saying pitchers shouldn't use the edges of the plate.

Do you really think that more restrictive movement standards, evenly applied, would change the results in any significant way? How many strict deadhang pullups would you guess these guys can do?

Katherine
Old 07-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #19
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
My basis for my definition is years of doing it in the Army and teaching it in OCS.
Ok, you win!
Old 07-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #20
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Seriously?

The move meets the standard established by the competition. Therefore it is honest, by definition. Saying that a move that exploits the leeway in the standard is "dishonest" is like saying pitchers shouldn't use the edges of the plate.

Do you really think that more restrictive movement standards, evenly applied, would change the results in any significant way? How many strict deadhang pullups would you guess these guys can do?

Katherine
C'mon Katherine, you know what I mean, BB analogy is not relevant at all.
Why measure fitness by heavily modifyed and strange looking version of any movement, instead of something people can recognize and relate?

You would not have to spend your time to explain what the heck people are doing during crossfit competition to someone outside of CF community or to someone new and why it is not cheating. Non CFitters can not relate to that kind of fitness demostration and for many it will create a negative perception about our sport.
You yourself pointed out at some point awhile ago your dislike of bouscing off the floor movements (BTW I only was talking about butterfly kip, not kipping PU in general).

Yes, sometimes this freedom in modifying movement can change results significantly. Do you remember L-sit hold during CF games 2011? Some people had their legs straight and failed very quickly, and some were "smart" and bent them. Since judges did not call it they got away with it and got better score. That did look totally unfair. That is just one example.
Today though everyone is using same "leeway" and the result of the competition probably would not be any different if they used strict technique.

Personally I would really like to see same standards described in FAQ applied during CF competitions.
But at this point duirng my competition I will do the ugliest version of what I see other people getting away with... every second counts, right?
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19