CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #1381
Kevin Bowman

Profile:
Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
I LOVED the games this year. Without a doubt the best year yet and I even loved most of the commentary!

Quick question what is the thing with dan bailey and trees? I must have missed something
I guess they were showing just coverage of trees during the Pendleton portion. Trees... then more trees... then more trees...

And I think Dan Bailey was just the athlete of the year - rumors about him, mentions about him, etc. Think Chuck Norris.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #1382
Andrew Bell

Profile:

The trees were all weekend kind of but REALLY got some attention during down time on Friday. They would show a single shot of the trees and nothing else in the shot, and hold it while waiting for the next event to happen.

Dan Bailey got the Chuck Norris treatment for a few reasons. I had seen some pop up the last few months, but then on Friday the announcers told us his background about 4 times during the track event (expecting him to do well). Other than that, yes, he was just kind of the go to guy people thought would do amazing this year (not saying he didn't do well).

For whatever reason, both of those because the height of the chat. Then someone created a Dan Bailey screen name and even had a pic of him in the little place for a pic. Kind of amusing.

Last edited by Andrew Bell : 07-17-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #1383
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Victor French View Post
I also have to disagree with wiping the slate clean before the final event. Sure it wasn't very crowd pleasing, but that's not what it's about. I hate that aspect of the teams side to me it says

"it doesn't matter how good you did the rest of the weekend as long as you made the finals cuts someone who just made it can be considered more fit than you because they beat you overall in 3 workouts.....the fact that you beat them in every other workout doesn't matter anymore"

I think how they do the scoring is perfect the way it is.
Isn't this how basically how any competition works though?
Track, strongman, motocross, football, soccer, etc. etc.
You can annihilate everyone in quarter and semi finals, but if you get beat in the finals...you lose. Should the Patriots get to be super bowl champs if they come in with a perfect season even if they lose the game because they've already "proven" how much better they are.

I just think at some point if you're going to be champion you need to win. Not just place 4th in everything.

I think the best example that could relate to CF is strongman. They do it pretty well.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #1384
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
You can annihilate everyone in quarter and semi finals, but if you get beat in the finals...you lose. Should the Patriots get to be super bowl champs if they come in with a perfect season even if they lose the game because they've already "proven" how much better they are.

I just think at some point if you're going to be champion you need to win. Not just place 4th in everything.

I think the best example that could relate to CF is strongman. They do it pretty well.
It's not actually comparable to those sports at all. Except soccer, which has aggregates. The best comparison would be the decathlon where athletes are ranked on every event. Most sporting games are a different beast. Apples and oranges brah.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #1385
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:

This analogy doesn't make sense on many levels. First off, with sports, they have time to prepare for each game (or series) and they know whats coming.

The whole reason it doesn't make sense to "wipe the slate clean" is because the whole point on finding the "fittest on earth" is to find whose can do everything well. How much sense does it make to wipe out all of the prior testing and just find out who does the best on 3 consecutive events with time domains of about 5 minutes or less? That only gives the answer of, who is best at these three fast paced events. That doesn't say who the fittest is as that was tested over the entirety of 4 days.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #1386
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Quote:

Yes, strongman is a good comparison and no, they usually don't wipe the slate clean for the last one or two events. Decathlon is another multiple event sport where every event counts and every athlete completes each event. Imagine if they cut the field in half just before the 1500m and whoever crossed the finish line first won the whole thing.

The Games ARE the finals in this sport. There aren't quarters or semis within the Games, just a series of different events.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #1387
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Triple-team smashdown, we win.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #1388
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
The Games ARE the finals in this sport. There aren't quarters or semis within the Games, just a series of different events.
Yes, the Games are the Finals, but you can look at it as The Open is the quarters and Regionals are the semis.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #1389
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Exactly, which is why there doesn't need to be any more culling at the last stage. By events, I meant workouts.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #1390
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sigmon View Post
This analogy doesn't make sense on many levels. First off, with sports, they have time to prepare for each game (or series) and they know whats coming.

The whole reason it doesn't make sense to "wipe the slate clean" is because the whole point on finding the "fittest on earth" is to find whose can do everything well. How much sense does it make to wipe out all of the prior testing and just find out who does the best on 3 consecutive events with time domains of about 5 minutes or less? That only gives the answer of, who is best at these three fast paced events. That doesn't say who the fittest is as that was tested over the entirety of 4 days.
Exactly, if they wiped the slate clean then all we'd have as the winner is the person who is the most fit in those final three events.....and we all know they'd still being saying that individual is the most fit in the world still.

Btw, not to sound weird....are you a crossfitter, ya look like you could compete in a bodybuilding show!

I also like the analog of the games being the finals, the regionals being the semis and the open being the quarters.