CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Nick La Bombarda

Profile:
Volume?

I have tried several programming methods including 3 on, 1 off and 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off. I haven't seen much improvement in my metcons with any program I have tried. I just started my first year of college and my situation really makes it difficult to stick to more "conventional" programs. I am thinking of going Monday and Tuesday on, rest Wednesday, Thursday and Friday on, and rest Saturday and Sunday. An ideal work day would consist of an afternoon workout including a barbell lift and metabolic conditioning and a night workout consisting of more strength and another metcon (usually a track workout). I tried this for the first time this week and I liked it. I was exhausted by the end of the day, but I feel like my performance wasn't affected by the previous day's workouts. I would like to hear some feedback and suggestions about this programming.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Volume?

If nothing else has improved your metcons, something else is wrong. Can you give us more details about your benchmarks, diet, and previous programming?

Two workouts a day is a recipe for bad problems unless you have a pretty solid base and a good diet. More information needed.

Katherine
Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Mon, Tues on/Wed off/Thur, Fri on has worked really well for me! I would definitely try this. Watch out for the extra night time metcon session though. Some barbell work and a WoD should be all you need unless, as Katherine stated, you are at the place where the extra session wont hamper recovery.

The problem I see is (and this is what I found in my experience), if I workout too late at night, I get wound up and dont fall asleep as soon. Sleep will be more important than any extra work you put in.

But, working out Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri., is a great program - eat well, rest well and all else should be well.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

If I'm reading you right, that would be 2 metcons on training days--4 days a week =8 metcons a week.

Do you cycle the intensity of the metcons?

If you go 100% all the time and are hitting 8 metcons a week, I think that can be pretty draining on the body. Exceptions would be someone has worked up to it as Katherine asked, or someone who is so deconditioned that one can't do a metcon in a fashion that puts stress on the body OR if your programming is really really balanced to your recovery abilities.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick La Bombarda View Post
I haven't seen much improvement in my met-cons with any program I have tried.
How do you know this? What bench marks did you do then repeat say 60 days later? What did you do in the middle.

Katherine & I like details. Why? Because we can usually find the answer when we force someone to be specific.

Age, height, weight, diet, average # of hours of sleep, lifting program, training log or lack there of and met-con programming.

Chances are somewhere in this information lies the answer.