CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Need alternatives to the 3-1 schedule

Problem: CrossFit Tucson is opening soon, and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to make affiliate workouts and my classes fit together.

Background: I have done CF for 14 months and consider myself well-adapted to it. My strength is my biggest shortfall; as a 5'8" 145 lb guy I'm not exactly throwing boulders around for workouts. I'm on the eyeball Zone diet for 19 blocks plus extra fat. I've been steadily gaining weight and improving in most everything. My running needs extra work. I was a three hour marathoner and it kills me not to be able to go for an 'easy' jog.

Ideas:
-Monday, Wednesday, Friday: and Saturday workouts at the affiliate.
-Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 20 minute interval runs (stride-jog, not sprint-walk/stop)
-Tuesday: an ME BB day. I enjoyed my time on Starting Strength this summer, and this is my weakness as well. Considering the other work I am doing, I am considering one upper body and one lower body lift each week on Tuesdays. Probably Squat/Power Clean, Deadlift/Bench or something similar.

What are your suggestions? What to do on Tuesdays is really my biggest question.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Gavin Harrison

Profile:
Re: Need alternatives to the 3-1 schedule

Deadlifting is probably the most beneficial thing you can do on tuesday. Then bench press or press. Squat on occasion, instead of DL, box squat if possible.

CF has enough pull ups already, perhaps weighted pull ups, sometimes.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

Profile:

when in doubt, squat and deadlift. Presses are fine, but nothing will tap in the way that heavy squats and deads will. Make tuesday a straight iron day if you have it. If you've got a little free time, throw in a few presses (standing or bench)... otherwise let CF take care of the presses (and jerks, and dips and push ups etc.)
Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

You could try the schedule the affiliate I go to follows. Each day along with the WOD we do a strength workout. Mondays=squat, Tuesdays=deadlifts, Wednesdays=press, Thursdays=chinups, Fridays=squat

Obviously this will change depending on the WOD but it works out nicely most of the time.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

[small thread drift]

Jason, how does that work? I like that idea and sounds like something of a hybrid interpretation done at the affiliate level. What sort of rep schemes are used typically? How long does the entire workout normally take?

Thanks...

[/small thread drift]

howard
Old 08-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Wilcox View Post
[small thread drift]

Jason, how does that work? I like that idea and sounds like something of a hybrid interpretation done at the affiliate level. What sort of rep schemes are used typically? How long does the entire workout normally take?

Thanks...

[/small thread drift]

howard
Tony will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure but after talking to him and Jodi last night it sounds like we're going to start a cycle for the strength training, 5x1 (work up to a max weight 1 rep), 5x3 and 5x5. The workouts counting the warmup, strength training and WOD are still an hour.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
Tony will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure but after talking to him and Jodi last night it sounds like we're going to start a cycle for the strength training, 5x1 (work up to a max weight 1 rep), 5x3 and 5x5. The workouts counting the warmup, strength training and WOD are still an hour.
At my affiliate, we worked upto a few heavy sets of 5 rep squats and then did a metcon (4 rounds: 400m run, 12 pullups). Awesome workout!

Workouts like these can't be done everyday obviously, but they are a great way to mix strength training in alongside of metcons..

Look at Anthony and Jodi Bainbridge's log so see how to mix strength training in with WODs. It seems they add a heavy lift in every 4 days before the WOD(roughly)
Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post
At my affiliate, we worked upto a few heavy sets of 5 rep squats and then did a metcon (4 rounds: 400m run, 12 pullups). Awesome workout!

Workouts like these can't be done everyday obviously, but they are a great way to mix strength training in alongside of metcons..

Look at Anthony and Jodi Bainbridge's log so see how to mix strength training in with WODs. It seems they add a heavy lift in every 4 days before the WOD(roughly)
Justin, Tony is the one beside me in my avatar. I know their schedule pretty good, painfully aware sometimes.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

@Gavin: I do like deadlifting...

@Derek: Are you suggesting to do both deadlift and squat on Tuesday? It sounds like the greatest potential for ain to me, but I'm a bit worried about it's potential for burnout/lowered intensity too. I'll think on this one, probably experiment with it too.

@Jason: That's a pretty tough schedule...I'm not sure I could recover with that much ME back to back with the WOD & extra running...I might just die! That's something I'll keep in mind though.

Thanks for the advice, I'm glad no one thought I was at terrible risk for overtraining this way. I'm really excited to get started on this schedule, since I think the ME day will have a pretty big effect on me due to my fitness level in that area.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
Justin, Tony is the one beside me in my avatar. I know their schedule pretty good, painfully aware sometimes.
I know you do. I imagine the OP doesn't, which is why I suggested he check out their log. Anthony is a monster that somehow continues gets faster and stronger.