CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
Brandon Michael Enos

Profile:
Im guessing this is a good spot for this, so sorry if Im wrong.

This is primarily for the FF, law enforcement and military personel here, but all opinions will be welcome. I am currently an EMT and I am preparing to join the AF, and I want to one day be a FF. Should I be wearing my gear when I workout? Right now, the only changes I would have to make would be wearing pants instead of shorts and boots instead of running shoes or going barefoot.

I know your supposed to lift barefoot or in thin soled shoes. And shorts are much more comfortable than pants. So it makes sense to me for office workers and what not to workout in this, but shouldnt people who have to wear boots, pants, heavy belts, bullet-proof vests, etc. while lifting, dragging, running, etc wear that stuff while working out? Getting used to how it feels, moves, etc?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Jason Needler

Profile:
Brandon, Im in the Army and have done PT in everything from PTs (shorts, t-shirt, running shooes) to full gear (BDUs, boots, vest, even ruck and gasmask sometimes). Honestly, I don't think it makes a big difference.

When you train your job skills, you should be wearing your uniform you will be doing those skills in.

When you train your body, I don't think you really get a "carryover" benefit. The biggest place you MIGHT notice a difference is the footwear - I wear running shoes for PT, boots for work. Still, whenever I have to run in uniform (in boots), the boots were the last thing on my mind. I never thought "gee, I wish I had done PT wearing boots" in the middle of a mission. :msn-wink:

My advice: wear whatever feels best for working out.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
John Tagita

Profile:
Hey dude, I totally agree with Jason. I have been in the Air Force for 8 years now, and as long as you are working out, at all, the PT portion of the job is not going to give you any problems.

For your AFSC, (MOS, for the Army types), you will get plenty of time to train in your "business attire". What I am trying to get across is that the AFPT program is really not all that challenging, but in the career field you are getting into, PT should be only the beginning of a physically demanding day. You will be afforded plenty of time to get used to working with your gear on.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Scott Ponte

Profile:
I also have been in the Air Force. As far as the AF PT requirements go most people have no problem as long as your somewhat active.

To increase your job performance as a FF I couldn't tell you much however commen sense dictates that FF wear a ton of gear and any training that helps incrase your endurence while under similar circumstances will benefit your job performance.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Craig Uchimura

Profile:
Brandon, we've been doing CF for about 2 years now. A few times we've done the WOD in full turnouts just for the extra stress. I wouldn't recommend doing it too often. You overheat very quickly. When we do it it's to pre-fatigue our bodies then we jump on a stairmill with our SCBA and mask on air for about 5 mins. to see our air consumpiton rate is. Doing the WOD's in regular shirt and shorts is fine to increase conditioning for the stress you get with the turnouts on.

My suggestion is to be selective of what workouts you do with the gear on. Here's a link (w/f safe) of an example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMDi6Vfkv0
Sorry about the quality but I saved it in a low resolution to upload to the internet. Form on the cleans and snatches were not perfect but with the gear on we were going for range of motion.

Hope this helps.