CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
Marissa Ray

Profile:  
also, i'm smaller than you (5'0", ~105) but i lean toward 12 blocks protein, with 75-80% of the carb level. my theory is that smaller doesn't necessarily mean proportionately less. i always remember the other primates- chimps vs. gorrillas- little monkeys eat very concentrated food, huge gorillas eat, like, twigs and grass all day. it seems like recommendations tend to go to the low end on this board, but i'm not ready to give up my 12 blocks of protein yet, despite being extremely short.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #12
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

So if you're eating a healthy diet and exercising rigorously, what's wrong with not having your period? Other than disrupting the natural circadian rhythm of the female menstrual cycle? By the way, if you're not having your period, does that mean it's easier for you to get pregnant?

Please enlighten an ignorant male.

Sincerely,
Kurt
Old 03-13-2006, 07:36 AM   #13
Elliot Royce

Profile:
"By the way, if you're not having your period, does that mean it's easier for you to get pregnant? "

Only if you have an immaculate conception. No egg, no baby.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #14
Carrie Beauchamp

Profile:  
Thanks for your advice Marissa. 1.5 fat sounds like a good idea. Also, cutting out PNB might be a good idea. I cut out sugar, chips, and other high carb. foods before I started the zone because I found that eating just one made me want to eat more, more, and more. Since I am finding that PNB is giving me the same affect I should recognize that and sub. it for something else in the fat category.

I have discovered that nuts with added salt also increase my cravings versus just the natural nut. Salt is also added to the Natural PNB that I eat. Could there be a mineral defiency somewhere that my body is wanting that is causing the binges on the salted nuts versus the natural nut? Or can salt consumption cause cravings just like high carbohydrate foods. I have only eaten natural nuts today and have not had any mind controlling urges to pig out on anything. I think I might be going off on a tangent here. It's just a thought though I could be totally clueless.

Kurt,
From what I have read on the internet about secondary amenorrhea it can have a very negative impact on your fertility. Many women with amenorrhea are anovulatory, meaning that they aren't producing viable eggs for conception. This can mean that no matter how hard you try, you just won't get pregnant.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:27 AM   #15
Genevieve Gornicki

Profile:
well when a woman isnt having her period, it is a sign that there is obviously something not working right in the body so the body is conserving energy and resources because it doesn't have anything extra in the body that it can get rid of.
Doctors told me that there is nothing wrong with not having a period in the short term, but that in the long term, if a woman's body keeps being "unbalanced" (caused by too low bf%, strange hormone levels, even stress or rapid weight loss, and/or super high activity levels) it can lead to more chance of starting certain disease processes. AND personally, I find it kind of depressing. Its nice when the body just works right, the way it was meant to.
Its nice to be woman, and to feel like one. ;)
Old 03-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #16
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
correct me if i am wrong, but i believe there are also ties between amenorrhea and bone loss. the "female athlete triad" consists of disordered eating patterns, amenorrhea and osteoporosis.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #17
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
Sorry this is long, but it’s based on 14 years of frustrating research. Following the below and the zone diet has help my husband’s chronic fatigue and my hunger. Along with Crossfit, it has helped me drop 50 pounds as I was gaining a lot of lean body mass.

You may be having a Pica. This is a nutrient deficiency. Horses will eat their cribbing, some people will even eat dirt and ashes. With as much as you are exercising, you may be short on sodium, hence your body goes for the foods high in salt? Consider that in the US most fresh fruits and vegetables come from CA, with four crops a year in the same soil. In the US our government stopped paying farmers to leave the ground fallow, so our food is not as likely to have trace minerals. You might want to try switching to organic crops where the fertilizer being natural has a higher chance of adding nutrients back into the soil. Also, eliminate gluten and white starches which are empty fuel (you want to fatten a cow, feed them grain). I would rather see you eating your fats from non refined sources such as you are doing rather than switch to oil. Also, eat fruits with the skin on (i.e. no canned peaches and the like). Purchase dark fruits and vegetables which have more anti-oxidants, and more nutrition in general. Mushrooms are the exception. Water can also be a good source of nutrients, so I suggest you don’t use bottled water unless it is spring water. Many bottled waters are tap water that have been stripped of everything, and then have a few minerals added back in for flavor. We also take a multiple vitamin, I like children’s chewable with minerals.

Also, I recommend measuring yourself in many places. Muscle is much heavier than fat. Forget the scale and pay attention to how you look, how you feel and what you can do. I was using the chart in the Mastering the Zone book. Then I started working on core body. My waist went up 2 inches, while my thighs went down an inch and a half each along with everything else. According to the chart, I had gained fat because it is all based on waist measurement. A friend of mine yesterday told me the Dr. said the chart showed him as obese, and then they both just laughed. He has less than 7% body fat. He looks like visual candy for women.

You are doing great, just stick with it, and get rid of the PB jar! :-)
Old 03-16-2006, 07:27 PM   #18
Carrie Beauchamp

Profile:  
Bobbi,
THanks for the information regarding the organic foods and spring water vs. tap water. I will start paying more attention to those things.

I finished off my jar of PNB Tuesday and I will not buy another one for a while. At night I have treated myself to one spoonful from my husband's jar and I have not let myself eat more than that.

Also, I was weighing every morning and I have not done that in a couple of days. I am going to stick with the measuring tape for a while and only measure once a week. I have thigh, waist, bellybutton, hip, chest, and arm measurments since the beginning of the year that I can compare to.

Thanks for the motivation to stick with it. Everyone here and the great results that I have seen so far are motivating.
Carrie