CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Benjamin Frank

Profile:
Dislocated Metacarpals & other assorted bones

Hello, I injured myself receiving a clean in the full squat position this past Monday. Having previously dislocated my third and fourth metacarpals at the wrist (as opposed to at the base of the fingers), I'm fairly positive that this is what I did and its possible I dislocated something else as well.

I had my hand and wrist x-rayed the same day and they didn't find a fracture or anything out of place. Based on my vague remembrance of what it felt like the last time I'd dislocated the 3rd and 4th metacarpals, I'm guessing they popped out and back in. I have a follow up and I'm hoping an MRI this Tuesday. I think I've likely strained and sprained a host of muscles and tendons in my wrist and forearm.

Here's how I think I did this during the clean. I was attempting a one rep max. I feel as though I had a good pull from the floor, hit triple extension and got under the bar but didn't receive the bar on my shoulders. I caught most of the weight in my hands, got off balance and in trying to ditch the weight in front of me, caught my elbow on my knee causing the weight to bounce on my hand and an initial injury then still had to drive the weight forward with my arms to prevent it from landing on top of me.

Here are my questions:

Does anyone else have experience with this kind of injury? How long did it take to recover full mobility? I can't remember what the healing was like previously.

Has anyone else ever bounced their elbow off their knee when receiving the clean and caused themselves an injury?

Any recommendations for WODS without use of my right arm? My left arm is weaker so I don't mind taking this time to bring it up to speed. Yesterday I did a modified Diane with 115lb left arm deadlift and modified handstand pushups with my right elbow on a stack of plates.

Does anyone see anything inherently wrong with doing left arm only strength work for 2-3 weeks until my right arm is back in the game (hopefully)?

Thanks for any and all info.

Last edited by Benjamin Frank; 10-09-2010 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Dislocated Metacarpals & other assorted bones

1. Sorry dont have any experience with that. My assumption is that its going to be typical of any other types of dislocations there.... I would talk to a physical therapist about it though

2. Yes, I've seen people do that before... it sucks.

3. I would focus mostly on strength work for the left arm this point.

Anything higher volume may lead to buildup of imbalance... and you want strength anyway because its the neural cross education thats going to be the most effective in transference over ot the other side.