CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
John Corona

Profile:
Treating Injuries for Professional Athletes

Just out of curiosity...Kobe Bryant the other day said he was getting his daily treatment for his sore ankle and broken finger. Treatment to me is RICE and Motrin...

What does "treatment" mean for professional athletes? Some sort of electric stimulation or a hyperbaric chamber? Injections of some sort of medicine?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Treating Injuries for Professional Athletes

Could be.

If you could figure out who his docs/pts are then you may be able to take a guess.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Anthony Ricci

Profile:

Cold lasers and phonophoresis (U/S with cortizone ) most likely plus EMS like Steven said. Lasers speed ATP/healing process Phono gets swelling out.-Just a guess but that is what we do
Old 02-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Some of these athletes are so driven to play they will do anything, proven or not. Take some of the things they do with a grain of salt, they are under a lot of pressure to perform and may resort to some really fringe stuff.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
John Corona

Profile:

I was just curious to see what types of "authorized" treatments beside cold packs and ibuprofen are used on professional athletes. I could do those two things at home but these guys are actually having to come into the training room to get their treatment.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Corona View Post
I was just curious to see what types of "authorized" treatments beside cold packs and ibuprofen are used on professional athletes. I could do those two things at home but these guys are actually having to come into the training room to get their treatment.
Well, you know, if I'm making millions of dollars a year, maybe I don't want to bother drawing my own hot and cold contrast baths, either. Go into the training room and I can get someone to do that for me, give me a rubdown, swap out the ice pack when it gets too warm, bring lunch in... Plus I can chat with all my team mates, watch some film, maybe shoot around a little....

Just because they come into the trainer, that doesn't mean they're getting anything extra special in the way of treatment. A lot of professional athletes just don't have many interests or much of a life outside the game.

Katherine