CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
Adam Noble

Profile:
Re: Anyone had laser eye surgery?

Lasik in 1996. No problems.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Dave Gibbs

Profile:

best thing I ever did
Old 05-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #13
James Besenyei

Profile:

Last Summer...no problems since...know other people who have had it done and love it....not too many problems for anyone I know.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #14
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

In defense of PRK: in lasik the cornea is cut, there is like a 1:10000 chance it will be cut clean off with permanent vision consequences. PRK just grinds the cornea, longer recovery time (but not that bad) but the eye just heals if something goes wrong. That's why the Navy leans toward PRK
Also one of the coolest things is after they numb your eyes and then clean the surface, you can't feel it and it looks like someone is cleaning a window that happens to be your eye.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #15
Steve Rakow

Profile:

I had Lasik done almost two years ago. The glasses and contacts and WODs just didn't mix well anymore. So, I blame CrossFit for forcing me to have Lasik. Best thing I ever did.

Prior to Lasik, I was 20/400 in both eyes (-7.0 in left, -6.5 in right). I was so blind without glasses or contacts that I couldn't even read a book without them in. Doing a WOD and having glasses fog up or fall off, or contacts popping out or getting dirty, etc. - I just couldn't take it anymore.

I'm now 20/20 in left and a little less than that in the right, but that's to be expected. I'm 43 and expect to get farsighted somewhat with age. Still way better than the life before Lasik. Go for it!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #16
Darrell E. White

Profile:

I am a 48 year old ophthalmologist who performs all types of refractive surgeries, including LASIK. I had my own LASIK performed at age 39--still one of the nicest things I've ever done for myself. In truth, with thin, slightly irregular corneas pre-op I would end up with some form of surface laser (PRK, LASEK, etc.) if it were to have been done today and I STILL would be delighted.

Here's what I think is the bottom line on all refractive procedures: all refractive procedures, including LASIK and PRK are unnecessary surgery. Nobody needs to have LASIK, me included. But they are very desireable, and they are very reasonable to have done if you are not happy with glasses or contacts. Regarding LASIK the procedure is so powerful that if you are a good candidate 90% of people will do beautifully no matter where you go, who does it, or how much you pay. 0.2-0.5% will do very poorly, no matter where you go, who does it, or how mucu you pay. Where you go and who does it matters if you are the other 9.5-9.8% who have some side effects or require more care post-operatively in order to join the 90% who are good right out of the chute.

Here's the rub: no one knows which group they are in, including the surgeon, before the surgery. So do your research well, choose well, and remember that if you are in that 9.5% group you may get what you pay for.

Lots of info, WFS at www.skyvisioncenters.com including a video of my right eye having LASIK.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #17
Jeremy Lamplough

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McWilliams View Post
I have posted this before.

There is an alternative to the laser; I chose Corneal Refractive Therapy (crt).

CRT involves wearing rigid contact lenses will you sleep. They gently re-shape the cornea over night. In the morning I have 20/20. The effect is temporary. You must wear the lenses nightly.
Thanks Bryan, I'll look into this. I've never heard of it.

Thanks to all the replies. I'm definitely about minimizing the risks as I'm certainly not a fan of surgery. However I am getting sick of my glasses, especially as I'm trying to do more activity!

Cheers,
Jeremy
Old 05-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #18
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:

Jeremy

Do look into CRT. It took me 3 or so fittings to get them dialed in. There is initial discomfort as you get used to them. But I wear mine every night, awake with great vision, and am really happy.

A lot of CRT users go on to have surgery.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #19
Bryan Longcoy

Profile:

Had custom wavefront lasik about 2 years ago. Vision is very good, BUT I still suffer from lasik induced dry eye. Dry eye is probably to most common, misunderstood, and downplayed complications with refractive surgery. Dry eye complication is explained in the surgery disclaimer but is usually downplayed as a temporary complication. For most people dry eye goes away within 3 -6 months, HOWEVER if you're one of the unfortunate few the condition can be a real nightmare. Google lasik complications or visit dryeyezone.com and you'll find many of the unlucky. Problem is your surgical outcome is never guaranteed.

As much as I love the new vision 20/20, the dry eye is a real bear. I'm hopeful as the years go by my problem will remedy itself or new medications may be developed. I have 2 plugs placed in in my lower tear ducts to keep more tears on the eye surface. Eventually I may have the two upper tear ducts plugged as well. Keep in mind allergy suffers may have more complications. Most allergy meds tend to dry out the sinus and eyes as well.

Would I do it again? Probably not. Or at least I would wait until dry eye complication was better understood. Once you have the surgery there is no turning back. There is currently nothing that can completely cure dry eye although tear duct plugs and hundreds of eye drops can help. Drops can be expensive.

I'm not trying to scare anybody but in retrospect I wish I talked with " the unlucky few" instead of only the success stories.

In reality I paid 4k to trade poor vision for good vision with sometimes painful dry eye. Instead of eyeglasses I now carry eye drops.

If you go ahead with it find the best doc you can without regard to price. Although my doctor has a great reputation he's not GOD as I found out. I don't believe my complication has anything to do with his skills unfortunately I am now one of the statistics.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #20
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

My brother got LASIK done almost 2 months ago and has better vision than ever in his life. 20/10 I think.

Make sure to find a doctor who is good. Justin, my brother, went to a doc who had performed hundreds of thousands of surgeries, and flew in to Billings, Montana only 2 times a month for surgeries. Also, he did the kind where they don't use any blades, just lasers. Those are safer.

He is 25.