CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Susanne Moskalski

Profile:  
Stress test MET's: how'd I do?

I had a nuclear exercise stress test on Friday. No official results yet, but I got to 13 METs, which was 3.4 mph on a 20% incline (man, that's steep!), and heart rate of 175 bpm. I held that for a few minutes before the doctor said I'd gone on enough (and I could still talk, so I wasn't at my limit yet). Is that good for a 34 year old woman? I couldn't find any guides for that sort of thing on the internet.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Stress test MET's: how'd I do?

its not the time that they are looking at .. its the waveform and what your heart is doing.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Susanne Moskalski

Profile:  

Well, yeah, I know that. They're also interested in whether my heart muscles are getting sufficient blood and oxygen supply, and if my tachcardia and incomplete right bundle branch block indicate a more serious heart condition. I'll get all those results on Friday.

I was just wondering if 13 METs is good or not in general. How many METs is a woman my age supposed to be able to reach? I assume that the better shape one is in, the more METs one can acheive. It would be awfully nice if I'm above average, but I couldn't find any information like that on the internet. Just curious/competitive about how I rate.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

there isn't a standard...

its comparing wod times.. some will do it faster some will do it slower but still complete it others cant.

some people will do 8 met and its fine.. some will do 21 and its fine then at 22 they throw in a burst of vt.

my father is 86 and hits 20 ... means your out of shape? no...
Old 05-05-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
Joel Chapman

Profile:

A MET equals 3.5 ml/kg*min, so 13 METS is 45.5 ml/kg*min, which is somewhere above the 90th percentile range of 41.0 for a female 30-39 years old.

I believe Frank is mistaken, you are not out of shape, and his contention that his 86 year old father has a VO2 max of 70 ml/kg*min is absurd.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Alex Blum

Profile:

Quote:
A MET equals 3.5 ml/kg*min, so 13 METS is 45.5 ml/kg*min, which is somewhere above the 90th percentile range of 41.0 for a female 30-39 years old.
looks like a standard to me!

sounds like you're doin pretty good Susanne
Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

my 86 yr father still walks 3 miles a day and chops a cord a wood over a weekend.

Nor did I say she was out of shape.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
Alex Blum

Profile:

how does that correlate to having a VO2 max comparable to a world class endurance athlete?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
Matt Unthank

Profile:

I work as an exercise physiologist in an cardiology stress lab, and 13 METs is pretty good compared to the women I test. Nuclear stress tests typically only go to 85% of the age predicted max heart because at that rate the imaging isotopes are injected, so I bet you could have easily pushed 16 METs (you probably got to hold onto the bar though, so don't get too caught up in predicting your VO2 max). I would say the best indicator of fitness is not how many METs you can achieve, because many people can achieve this if they are just mentally tough, but instead look at how slow your heart rate elevates and how quickly you recover.

With that said, this test is really just to see if you are healthy, stick to the benchmark workouts to test your fitness!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
Susanne Moskalski

Profile:  

Well, I got results back today, and it is all good. My heart is quite healthy, other than the narrow complex tachycardia.