CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
William McDaniel

Profile:
Recovering from MRSA, what’s my play?

I am currently recovering from a bout of MRSA. 8 days ago I had an abscess or boil (not sure what to call it) lanced and drained. It was about the size of a walnut and located below my left nipple. Once the MRSA was diagnosed I was put on a heavy duty antibiotic. The wound is small and decreasing daily. I finally feel like getting back in the game and I'm dying to cf again. Here are my questions for anyone with knowledge or experience:

How do I handle returning to the gym? DO I treat myself like a biohazard, do I tell people, or do I quietly go back to my business?

I play on two amateur adult hardball teams. I am scheduled to play 18 innings of ball this Sunday. Am I well enough to pull this off or should I rest or go half speed (maybe DH and no defense all day)?

I am just not sure how to handle coming back from this. MRSA is a frightening and persistent bug and I’ve never been in this kind of situation before. What’s my play?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Recovering from MRSA, what’s my play?

Not sure about the activity level, but FYI, in the event they ever say "it's come back" and they give you a bleak outlook with the option of some antibiotic with ridiculously stupid side effects (or if you just want to do a little extra, might ask your doctor first, but...)

http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/...aureusMRSA.pdf (w/f safe)

Hospitals won't really use the stuff (as far as I know) because thanks to the brilliant FDA, it can't be marketed as a treatment or medicine anymore, but let me tell you, I had a sinus infection for nearly a freaking month, swollen lymph nodes in my neck and everything. Had already taken antibiotics (the second antibiotic they prescribe, because the first one it had grown resistant to), and on day 7 of the antibiotics, the swollen lymph node started coming back. Kept taking them and completed on day 10, and it was still bad. I was not about to go up to another freaking antibiotic, so I tried colloidal silver (Futurebiotics brand was the best I could find without ordering online, 1 teaspoon per day for 10 days, on day 2 the swollen lymph node was gone, kept taking it and it's been gone ever since). I also used soverign silver nasal spray, don't know if this helped or not (I wouldn't recommend soverign silver as a liquid, but the spray was the only nasal spray I could find). The best I've seen on the market (internet order only) is Mesosilver, by Purest Colloids. Anyhow, I've talked long enough, just keep it in mind, the stuff sure as heck worked for me with a NASTY sinus infection that wouldn't go away after a month.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
Robert Pierce

Profile:

My guess is that you have Community Acquired MRSA, or CA-MRSA (to be distuguished from hospital acquired MRSA). Incision and drainage are the mainstays of treatment. After incision and drainage, systemic antibiotics are probably not necessary (wfs): http://www.nickyee.com/abscess_sourc...ntibiotics.pdf

Recurrences, as you know, are not uncommon. You can carry the bacteria can occur in the nose, perineum, under the nails. You might talk to your doc about an application of Bactroban ointment under the nails and in the nares.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Dave Matteson

Profile:

If you're feeling well enough, you should be able to resume normal activities. If you are going somewhere around a lot of people, such as the gym or your hardball game, I'd wear an occlusive dressing (think water-proof) over the wound as well as a shirt that covers the area. It's possible you could still be contagious, but as Robert said, many of us are walking around carrying MRSA in plain sight. The dressing is really more to keep your wound from being reinfected. As always, if you have different advice from your doc or surgeon, follow that instead.

As for colloidal silver, I'm not particularly knowledgable about that treatment. All I can say is that like most other heavy metals, the human body has no physiologic need for silver and has no real mechanism for getting rid of it once absorbed. Its toxicity is also questionable.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Matteson View Post
As for colloidal silver, I'm not particularly knowledgable about that treatment. All I can say is that like most other heavy metals, the human body has no physiologic need for silver and has no real mechanism for getting rid of it once absorbed. Its toxicity is also questionable.
Just a quick note on that, don't want to debate on here, but:
http://www.silver-colloids.com/ (w/f safe) tons of info there, with scientific studies.

And I'm not advocating taking the stuff every day (I see no point). I'm saying have some good stuff on hand and use it when it becomes necessary.

Last edited by Matt DeMinico : 04-26-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
William Dye

Profile:

colloidal silver can permanently turn your skin blue!

Last edited by William Dye : 04-27-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dye View Post
I'm presuming you're referencing the "blue man" that I came across while doing a little bit of reading. While, yes, colloidal silver can permanently turn your skin blue, it takes significant doses (daily for years), which is not advocated in any of the reading I found.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dye View Post
Heh, yeah dude, if you take like 4000x the prescribed dose of the stuff I'm talking about for years straight...
Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
William McDaniel

Profile:

Thanks Matt, Dave, and Robert for the replies and advice. I knew crossfit was the right place to look for help. Our whole household is swabbing noses with bactroban and following some pretty strict hygiene protocols. I patched up and played on Sunday (2 for 6 with 2 walks) and felt fine, although I felt rusty from not having taken infield in 2 weeks. My return to crossfit begins today after work (my mistress Angie awaits) and I'm geeked to be training again.

On a funny side note, the "blue man" actually lives in Fresno and is a well known local oddity. I swear, only in "No Town".

Thanks Again,

William
Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:

If colloidal silver (and related products, I use WFS ASAP HealthMax 30 in my practice to great success) isn't your cup of tea, there is another option.

Allicin, a component of garlic, has finally been stabilized and concentrated. It is sold as Allimax in the US. It can be used internally and topically, and is extremely safe.

WFS links:
Company
1st MRSA article
2nd MRSA article

Good stuff!