CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
Shane Upchurch

Profile:
Re: digenerative disk disease

I think one of the big things for your client is finding out what has caused the DDD. I have had back pain for the past two years, just do a search on the boards for my name, and about 1 and half months ago I started going to a chiro and it has helped immensely. I found out that my psoas was actually causing the back pain because it was extremely tight and certain exercises would cause it to get tighter and pull on my spine. Since then I have focused on stretching that guy out and I am near 100%. Of course I am 24 so Im sure my age has had a lot to do with the speed of my recovery. Walk your client through some stretching and try and find out if maybe he/she is tighter in some areas and work on those areas.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
Michael Keller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
WFS http://healinglightseminars.com/listing/Back_Pain.pdf
Low-Intensity Laser Therapy aka
Low Level Laser Therapy aka
"Cold" Laser

I use it in my practice on back pain (disc problems) all the time, one place to start looking for a practitioner is WFS www.meditech-bioflex.com .
That looks interesting, but there is nothing in TN.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Thanks for the input, my client is 57 and more than a little overweight and has allready spent a significant amount of energy with doctors and chiros who told him there was little to do other than limit stress on the back... of course that leads to weakness and more pain...

Either way I am in the 3rd week of working with him and it is going great. Done mostly a blend of basic lifts one day (front squat, press, deadlift), some cardio the next(trying to shed some of the pounds), then day off with a half cindy mixed in at the end of the week (negatives for the pulls, and knee pushups) he is progressing great and deadlifted 95 pounds today, i warned it may be too much but he wouldnt have it... lol but his form was solid and he felt good so we will see... Thanks for all the continued input, i feel like i learn something new each time i log on these forums

-Robert
Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
Robert Callahan

Profile:

So the next morning after my client did that 95# deadlift he told me that he woke up for the first time in 40 years with no pain. I think the functional crossfit workouts are working eh?

-Robert
Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Robert, awesome!

I've just had and MRI and xrays confirming DDD between C4-C5 and C6-C7, including canal and foraminal narrowing and posterior spurring. I'm guessing there is some DDD going on in my lower lumbar as well (same kind of pain as in my neck) I can't remember when my neck didn't hurt, but I've been o-lifting going on 19yrs.

When I don't train things hurt more. Maybe it's in my head? I don't know, but even if it is at least I feel better when I'm strong.

Good luck with your client.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 AM   #16
Al Bulkley

Profile:

Robert,

When I was 21 and in the military I was diagnosed with DDD and 2 badly herniated limbar discs. I blame it on heavy physical activity (wrestling & lifting very heavy, oddly shaped objects) without the requisite strength and flexibility.

For the next few years I lived with terrible low back pain, stiffness, and sciatica. I had to take handfuls of ibuprophen several times a day, and often the only way I could fall asleep at night was after washing the ibuprophen down with several beers. Chiropractic and PT helped a little but not nearly enough. I was told that I needed surgery and without it I would only get worse and I would be a cripple at a young age. I never had the surgery only because my young family couldn't afford for me to take the time off work. I was also told that the absolute worse thing that I could possibly do would be to lift weights. I put on a lot of weight and was depressed, being in constant pain and nearly debilitated at such a young age.

One day sfter reading a motivational book about dealing with chronic pain (really) I said enough. I bought an inversion table and started stretching, running, and biking despite the pain (I couldn't lift, remember?). I lost 30 pounds, gained alot of flexibility, and my back pain and stiffness went away almost completely.

I still had low-grade pain an stiffness fairly frequently, along with occasional muscle spasm flare ups for a few more years.

I never got complete relief until just a couple years ago, when I started deadlifting and squatting. My back pain and sciatica are no more than minor, occasional annoyances now.

Ironically - contrary to conventional wisdom - my back never feels BETTER than after a good DL workout.

I give the inversion table and stretching quite a bit of credit for my rehab. I still hang now and then when my back feels tight, and it always helps. Many docs and PT's will say inversion doesn't work, but it definitely did for me, and the deadlifting is priceless for low back rehab. Obviously, it all needs to be done intelligently and conservatively.

Last edited by Al Bulkley : 04-24-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #17
Michael Keller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bulkley View Post
I was told that I needed surgery and without it I would only get worse and I would be a cripple at a young age. I never had the surgery

I bought an inversion table and started stretching, running, and biking despite the pain (I couldn't lift, remember?).

I still had low-grade pain an stiffness fairly frequently, along with occasional muscle spasm flare ups for a few more years.

I never got complete relief until just a couple years ago, when I started deadlifting and squatting. My back pain and sciatica are no more than minor, occasional annoyances now.

Ironically - contrary to conventional wisdom - my back never feels BETTER than after a good DL workout.

I give the inversion table and stretching quite a bit of credit for my rehab. I still hang now and then when my back feels tight, and it always helps. Many docs and PT's will say inversion doesn't work, but it definitely did for me, and the deadlifting is priceless for low back rehab.
This sounds exactly like my experience. I still deal with stiffness and occasional flare-ups, but for the most part, my back feels pretty good now. I am so glad I never had surgery.

The inversion table, deadlifts, squats, and KB's have been the ticket for me.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #18
Jared Ashley

Profile:

[quote=Veronica Carpenter;298041]
When I don't train things hurt more. Maybe it's in my head? I don't know, but even if it is at least I feel better when I'm strong.
QUOTE]

I'm pretty young (26) but was diagnosed with DDD in my cervical spine a couple of years ago after I tweaked my C6 vertebrae on, of all things, a leg press machine. The doctor that diagnosed it said I had the neck of a 50-year-old and if I didn't stop all forms weight training and anything high-impact (running and sports, basically) immediately it would get worse. I sat there in shock for about 5 seconds and then, with c-collar still on and pain med prescription in hand, told her it'd be a cold day in hell before I stopped working out and jumping out of planes on the weekends.

I guess only time will tell, but LOTS of heavy lifting and 400ish skydives later I'm pretty convinced that the best thing you can possibly do for a weak/problematic spine is to surround it with lots of big, strong muscle. That way, when it takes a hit, the muscle can act as a shock absorber. I know my neck will never be perfect again and that sucks, but at least it's strong.

Related note, my father has terrible shoulders... did a ton of damage to both rotator cuffs and was to the point where he couldn't raise his arm above his head for awhile. Docs told him to avoid straining it at all and he followed their advice... it got worse every year. Then he said "f-it" and started working the shoulders. Took a couple years, but now he can get about 40 lbs a side over his head and is in minimal to no pain on a daily basis. Again, lesson learned is that you can't go wrong by surrounding weak joints with strong muscle.