CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Robert Callahan

Profile:
digenerative disk disease

Does anyone know what kind of effect digenerative disk disease can have on doing the lifts perscribed in SS and CF? And what kind of remidies are best if the lifting is out of bounds? Thanks for the input

-Robert
Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Re: digenerative disk disease

I have significant DDD (degenerative disk disease) in my lumbar and cervical spine (low back and neck) bone spurs and all, x-ray looks ugly.

I have had chronic back pain for decades. I listened to my Dr and took it easy for about 8 years and it got worse every year. I was actually researching a fusion for the lumbar. I finally had enough and started training lower body again, it started improving... That was 6 years ago, still have "issues" but it is better than in 2002

I take it easy on DL and use absolutely impeccable form usually try to keep it under 315 (when I was young and bigger I DL 520). I tend to favor front squats instead of back squats. Once in a while L-pullups or some of the ab stuff irritate it but I can do everything including explosive glute ham situps, Clean and jerks, snatches etc. In fact it usually feel better when I am doing moderate oly lifting on a regular basis.

I pay attention to it and will sometimes just not do a workout when it is barking at me but that is the exception.

Sub front squat for BS in SS, careful and slow progress on DL

BTW a large percentage of people esp. men over 40 have it and don't even know it

Last edited by Craig Van De Walker : 03-10-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Get in touch with Susie Rosenberg over at CF ALbany, she may have some more input for you! Best of luck....
Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Thanks for the replies! I am going to be starting with a client in a few weeks and he has DDD and I wanted to get some background before i started training so i would not cause more damage. What is Susie Rosenberg's email? or do they have it on an affiliate site? Thanks again guys, i really appreciate the feedback!
-Robert
Old 03-11-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I recall reading something somewhere today that indicated that research has shown that discs can repair themselves given "nice" treatment. ie continuing flexibility and exercise.

Not well worded but you get my drift - all is not lost!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #6
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Hi.

I've dealt with significant spine issues for years now.

I've always gone by "activity as tolerated." That means if I'm not having acute pain, I'm going to do what I can. (That turned out to be a lot more than I ever would have dreamed.)

Having said that, I think there are some principles that apply.

First, help your client distinguish muscle soreness from neurogenic pain. Muscle soreness is what we all feel after a few days' hard series of WODs: slightly tender to the touch, a little stiff, soreness increases a bit at first with movement, but then tends to ease as you warm up. Muscle soreness from exercise is never shooting or stabbing, and never worsens just from things like coughing or straining (Valsalva).

Neurogenic pain---pain coming from the nerves exiting the vertebrae---tends to be felt along the compressed nerve's path. For cervical pain, you feel it in your neck, and usually down one arm. Lumbar pain is felt in the lumbar region of the back, often one-sided, and sometimes into one buttock and down one leg.

A few things help me:

1. Thoroughly warming up.
2. For any lifting, form must be impeccable, so I never lift heavier than I have absolute control. It means a lot slower gains in strength, but not as slow as being out of commission!
3. During flare-ups, back way down. Do everything slower, with less intensity, but try to keep your client moving.
4. Gentle stretching after a workout.
5. Some exercises just are really hard when I'm symptomatic, and I avoid them: jumping rope, burpees, overhead weights. I find that movements that "jostle" my spinal cord bring increased symptoms, but everybody will experience things differently.
6. Explain to your client that if s/he is in pain without exercise, and in pain with exercise, and the pain isn't WORSE with exercise, then there's no reason not to exercise!

I hope that helps.
Susie
Old 03-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

You guys are amazing! thanks so much for the input, it will help me a ton more than the limited info i can find online. Yay for an incredible community!

-Robert
Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Terry ONeill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
Hi.

I've dealt with significant spine issues for years now.
A few things help me:

1. Thoroughly warming up.
2. For any lifting, form must be impeccable, so I never lift heavier than I have absolute control. It means a lot slower gains in strength, but not as slow as being out of commission!
3. During flare-ups, back way down. Do everything slower, with less intensity, but try to keep your client moving.
4. Gentle stretching after a workout.
5. Some exercises just are really hard when I'm symptomatic, and I avoid them: jumping rope, burpees, overhead weights. I find that movements that "jostle" my spinal cord bring increased symptoms, but everybody will experience things differently.
6. Explain to your client that if s/he is in pain without exercise, and in pain with exercise, and the pain isn't WORSE with exercise, then there's no reason not to exercise!

I hope that helps.
Susie

Susie

Thanks so much for this bit of advice.

At age 61, I jumped whole hog into crossfit back in December. I have a significant history of cervical & lumbar problems (degen discs, spurs, compression) dating back to my college football days.

I was going great for three months with big improvements but after doing heavy deadlifts & squats one day about 2 weeks ago I had a major flareup, (numbness, tingling, etc.) . I had to scale way back.

I stopped running altogether, (I was doing Tabata style sprints 3 x week) & stopped the deadlifts & back squats). That plus choropractic & icing has gotten me almost back to where I can resume.

I think I will go with swimming sprints for my cardio & delete the squats, deadlifts, skip rope, & any jumping.

Terry

PS: Any advice on inversion tables or disc decompression therapy?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
Michael Keller

Profile:

I have had DDD in my low back for about 12-13 years now. When it first flared up, it was horrible and I could not move or straighten up. After the initial onslaught, I tried to baby it for a few years and it did not get any better. It was only after I made the decision to start doing deadlifts, Kettlebells and more flexibility movements (Yoga) that I began to see improvement. It will never be well, but I refuse to have surgery and it is MUCH better than it used to be. Not as limiting on my day to day activities, and I can do most things I want. The biggest thing I can't do much of is a lot of grappling where I am struggling in any kind of a bent position. This limits my martial arts some, but I can still do most things.

One thing that has helped me in addition to continuing to workout is an inversion table. When my back is acting up, I get on it and it helps to decompress my vertebrae.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:

WFS http://healinglightseminars.com/listing/Back_Pain.pdf
Low-Intensity Laser Therapy aka
Low Level Laser Therapy aka
"Cold" Laser

I use it in my practice on back pain (disc problems) all the time, one place to start looking for a practitioner is WFS www.meditech-bioflex.com .