CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Good sources for obscure medical information/interaction?

I've been Googling quite a bit and not coming up with much easy information - it's what happens when you have a fairly rare condition.

I was diagnosed last year (after bringing the name of the condition to my doctor from research I did myself) with cold urticaria, a form of hives brought on whenever my skin gets cold. It can get pretty painful, so I've been on 10 mg. of Zyrtec since last August.
I have had mild symptoms for some time suggesting that my thyroid may be underactive, so I'm taking an iodine loading test to check that out.
I'm currently on hormonal birth control, to be discontinued after my husband's scheduled vasectomy in August. I'm looking forward to getting my OWN hormones back after several years, honestly. It's been nice knowing when my period was coming, but that's about all I can say for it.
And of course there is the stubborn fat, which could be related to any or all of the above or simply to me eating too much for my mostly-sedentary life.

I'm just looking for a good source or sources to research interactions and causes of any or all of the above conditions, especially the cold urticaria. The Zyrtec has been awesome for keeping the hives away, but it bothers me to think of taking drugs that I might not NEED for the rest of my life.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: Good sources for obscure medical information/interaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
I've been Googling quite a bit and not coming up with much easy information - it's what happens when you have a fairly rare condition.

I was diagnosed last year (after bringing the name of the condition to my doctor from research I did myself) with cold urticaria, a form of hives brought on whenever my skin gets cold. It can get pretty painful, so I've been on 10 mg. of Zyrtec since last August.
I have had mild symptoms for some time suggesting that my thyroid may be underactive, so I'm taking an iodine loading test to check that out.
I'm currently on hormonal birth control, to be discontinued after my husband's scheduled vasectomy in August. I'm looking forward to getting my OWN hormones back after several years, honestly. It's been nice knowing when my period was coming, but that's about all I can say for it.
And of course there is the stubborn fat, which could be related to any or all of the above or simply to me eating too much for my mostly-sedentary life.

I'm just looking for a good source or sources to research interactions and causes of any or all of the above conditions, especially the cold urticaria. The Zyrtec has been awesome for keeping the hives away, but it bothers me to think of taking drugs that I might not NEED for the rest of my life.
In all honesty, I would say contact Dr G Smith for a consult. For me, I found him to be great at putting puzzle pieces together and helping them situate themselves as they should be. He realized something with me that none of my doctors ever did and he had never met me either!
wfs
Old 05-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I may do just that...he's my iodine test guy!
I have to confess to a certain biased thinking that naturopath = fruitcake, which isn't Dr. G's fault at all. And it's looking to me like conventional medicine, well, will give me conventional answers, such as that my BMI is already too low and my blood tests are "within normal limits."
Antibiotics for a UTI are awesome and the reason why I HAVE a doctor in the first place LOL. For everything that you might not need a baseball bat for, though, I'm skeptical of mainstream medicine too!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Robert Pierce

Profile:

eMedicine and DermNet NZ might be helpful for the cold urticaria, but you might have already found these with your Google searches.

There seems to be lots of discussion right now about the true normal ranges for thyroid function, with some people arguing that the normal range for a TSH be brought down from the 4-5 range it is in right now. (Keep in mind that TSH is inversely related to thyroid function in most cases.) If this should happen, then lots of people whose labs are "normal" right now would be considered hypothyroid.