CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Andrew Dossman

Profile:
Trouble Breathing During Sleep

Hey guys ive been having like episodes of waking up and gasping for breath for a few months now but recently they have been more frequent. I think it might be sleep apnea but im only 20 years old, 163 pounds, at 5 foot 10 and i do CF so its not like im out of shape. So anyone know what could be wrong? should i hit up a doctor about this?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Trouble Breathing During Sleep

From what I understand, sleep apnea can happen to people regardless of size/age, though large size is an added risk factor.

I'm pretty sure there's clinics that can screen you (or even have you do a test at home with some equipment). And if it is sleep apnea, I don't know if there's different causes of it, but I think one of the causes is the tongue relaxing and blocking the back of your throat (which could probably happen regardless of size). Sleeping on your stomach may prevent this from happening (maybe? I don't know, I'm no doc).
Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Sleep apnea can cause lots of long term problems(cardia arrhythmias, hypertension, lots more). You could be dealing with central sleep apnea Vs obstructive sleep apnea.

Good info here: wfs
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sle...148/DSECTION=1

I would see a doctor. The above site recommends:
When to seek medical advice

"Consult a medical professional if you experience, or if your partner observes, the following:

* Snoring loud enough to disturb the sleep of others or yourself
* Shortness of breath that awakens you from sleep
* Intermittent pauses in your breathing during sleep
* Excessive daytime drowsiness, which may cause you to fall asleep while you're working, watching television or even driving"

/Not medical advice, I'm just a guy on the internet.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:

My boyfriend has suffered from sleep apnea since he was young. He used to play football (soccer, that is) regularly, didn't smoke and was always on the thin side, so it's not always going to be a weight thing.

Getting it checked out is advisible, but it's not foolproof. As he had so much trouble sleeping, the sleep studies failed because, funnily enough, he couldn't sleep whilst at the study centre. It was only diagnosed when he had to have his appendix out and the surgeon noticed while he was anaesthetised. Fortunately it's not a severe form, though it does interfere with his sleep a fair bit.

One thing people have tried is sewing a cotton real or other lumpy object into their pyjama top/night shirt so that they will move off their back if they inadvertantly roll onto it.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Jason Hicks

Profile:

See a dr to solve the problem. as a band-aid fix get a pocket tee and sew a tennis ball into the pocket and wear it backwards to bed. This will usually keep you off your back which is when most people experience symptoms.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Although sleeping on the back is best... yeah, that can help lead to it. I try to sleep on my back but I sometimes have fits with choking and waking up like that. So basically if I'm sleeping on my side I generally try not to fix it (but you have to make sure your posture and other things are good otherwise if you sleep wrong you can mess yourself up too).