CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #81
Susanne Moskalski

Profile:  
Re: Heart skipping a beat?

I'm a new cross-fitter, and I was quite interested to find this thread, as it's directly pertinent to my situation.

Earlier today I was diagnosed with: 1. PVC's; 2. Narrow Complex Tachycardia; and 3. Incomplete Right Branch Bundle Block.

Exercise stress test and echocardiogram are scheduled for the week after next, but in the meantime the cardiologist says I have no restrictions on exercise, even extremely strenuous sessions. So it appears I am free to start building up to full cross-fit workouts. Fun!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #82
Scott R Martin

Profile:

Bob,

Atheletes do in general have lower heart rates than sedentary people. Lance Armstrong famously has a resting heart rate of 32-34. There is a good explanation here http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1539. I would not become concerned by a low resting heart rate in isolation, especially as you have noted that your heart rate increases appropriately with exercise.

Heart rate recovery after exercise is a decent measure of overall cardiovascular fitness.

Some people do develop dysfunction of their sinus node ("sick sinus syndrome") where their heart rate at times slows inappropriately and has frequent arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation. Possibly your cardiologist is worried about this possibility. This is increasingly common with increased age. Such people typically eventually have symptoms such as lightheadedness or fainting spells that prompt treatment with a permanent pacemaker. In the abscence of such symptoms (not just occasional palpitations) a pacemaker is generally not indicated unless you have marked EKG abnormalities (such as AV conduction block).

Scott
Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #83
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne Moskalski View Post
I'm a new cross-fitter, and I was quite interested to find this thread, as it's directly pertinent to my situation.

Earlier today I was diagnosed with: 1. PVC's; 2. Narrow Complex Tachycardia; and 3. Incomplete Right Branch Bundle Block.

Exercise stress test and echocardiogram are scheduled for the week after next, but in the meantime the cardiologist says I have no restrictions on exercise, even extremely strenuous sessions. So it appears I am free to start building up to full cross-fit workouts. Fun!
Good news, bad news! Glad to hear it's not something that will impede your enjoyment.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #84
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R Martin View Post
Bob,

Atheletes do in general have lower heart rates than sedentary people. Lance Armstrong famously has a resting heart rate of 32-34. There is a good explanation here http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1539. I would not become concerned by a low resting heart rate in isolation, especially as you have noted that your heart rate increases appropriately with exercise.

Heart rate recovery after exercise is a decent measure of overall cardiovascular fitness.

Some people do develop dysfunction of their sinus node ("sick sinus syndrome") where their heart rate at times slows inappropriately and has frequent arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation. Possibly your cardiologist is worried about this possibility. This is increasingly common with increased age. Such people typically eventually have symptoms such as lightheadedness or fainting spells that prompt treatment with a permanent pacemaker. In the abscence of such symptoms (not just occasional palpitations) a pacemaker is generally not indicated unless you have marked EKG abnormalities (such as AV conduction block).

Scott
Scott,

My heart rate normally during the day, when at rest (desk, etc.) is in the mid 60's. At night, relaxing after workout/dinner is in the 50's, and down to the 40's as I get horizontal in bed pre-sleep. I've only seen the 30's first thing in the morning, however the holter monitor captured them in the evening.

I'm in full-on observation mode now. I'm working on making my lipids "perfect"... my LDLs are a bit high and the HDLs are a bit low... my total was 178. Now that I've been eating clean for almost 4 months straight, I suspect I am in the middle of a trend to the better. I've got a rx for blood work in August.

In the meantime.... I think I'll get that vasectomy. I know, TMI.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #85
Carl Pawluk

Profile:

I've noticed that my issue is non-existant when I don't kill a WOD and then follow it with a hard HIIT training session. Perhaps some of us are simply overtraining at times. For now it seems that overtraining is my common denominator.