CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #41
Terry ONeill

Profile:
Re: Common ground...less is more

[quote=Dale Kimberlin;292171]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
I'm also curious why this topic (the use of anti-depressants) brings out such emotion?

David, Yes this topic gets heated.With terrible side effects (homicide and suicide) while other safer alternatives exhist .................................................. .As long as SSRI's continue to be given to our children you can expect more school shootings and the like. The kids are just not themselves or in the right frame of mind. Look at the drug labels it says it right there.
I agree that SSRI's are dangerous (based on my personal experience with them). What's particularly scary is that the patient is often told, as I was: "be patient - the therapeutic effect may take up to several weeks to become apparent and that some side effects are to be expected".

After being prescribed PAXIL (for depression following a divorce) I became extremely (and uncharacteristically) hostile & aggressive during this "several week" period & took myself off the drug (despite the doc's assurances).

I can easily envision myself trying to "gut out" (as is my habit) the necessary ramp up period & becoming truly destructive had I stayed on the stuff.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #42
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I believe that all of these SSRI horror stories are true, but in my current iteration as a Drug & Alcohol Counselor I have also seen people use them to get out of the depression cycle long enough to let the "talking cure" and some new coping skills ingrain themselves into their lives. There is a place for them in my business but they're certainly not a cure all.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #43
Dale Kimberlin

Profile:

Robert,

You might like the book

Spark: The revolutionary new science of exercise and the brain by Ratey.

talks about movement and changes in the brain chemistry.

SSRI's never address the real problem and only add to it or redefine the problem.

We should be looking at the other approaches that don't cause people to drown their children or shoot up their schools.

unfortunately those approaches don't get the press.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #44
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Thanks Dale, I'll check that book out.
My point though was more toward chemically breaking the depression cycle to allow exercise, talk therapy etc. some room and opportunity to work. You can't prescribe exercise to a depressed person and expect them to follow it. Once they are past the chemical portion of it other options become possible. I'm willing to bet (this is only based on observation) there are more people with SI/HI without taking anti depressants than those actually on them.