CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Daniel Alderete

Profile:
2 months to get in shape--what do I do?

Entering a fire academy. Need both strength and conditioning. What would you recommend I do to get in the BEST shape in two months?

About me: I'm in shape. I follow crossfit football's strength component (but not the daily wod aspect). Instead,I do sprints and kettlebell swings for conditioning. Diet is in check--clean paleo-ish diet.

I'll liken my situation to a boxer: he's already in shape, but now he's booked for a fight...so now he eats sleeps and trains for this fight.

So how/what extra would I need for my "fight"?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Mike Doehla

Profile:
Re: 2 months to get in shape--what do I do?

You seem to be on your way. I'm not familiar with the fireman test but don't you have to carry certain weight up stairs? I'd def train for that.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Andy Kerschbaum

Profile:

[quote=Daniel Alderete;1206588]Entering a fire academy. Need both strength and conditioning. What would you recommend I do to get in the BEST shape in two months?

About me: I'm in shape. I follow crossfit football's strength component (but not the daily wod aspect). Instead,I do sprints and kettlebell swings for conditioning. Diet is in check--clean paleo-ish diet.

I would continue where you've already started. CrossFit Football is an amazing program. To get the most from thier programming it is recommended to follow both the Strength and the Conditioning. FWIW, their cert was an outstanding resource where they talked at length about the how and why they program the way they do.

Adding the conditioning to your strength routine will provide results.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Mike Doehla

Profile:

[quote=Andy Kerschbaum;1206593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alderete View Post
Entering a fire academy. Need both strength and conditioning. What would you recommend I do to get in the BEST shape in two months?

I would continue where you've already started. CrossFit Football is an amazing program. To get the most from thier programming it is recommended to follow both the Strength and the Conditioning. FWIW, their cert was an outstanding resource where they talked at length about the how and why they program the way they do.

Adding the conditioning to your strength routine will provide results.
I'd love to attend that cert. Can you tell me what it costs? I'm sure I can check the site and see when, where, and how much though.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

CF Football programing is a good program for a fire fighter, but you need to do the whole program. There are certainly other options and other programs that might be better suited to you but you're too close to your event to go back to the blackboard, but two months out you should be making tweaks to train specifically for the tests.

What will you have to do well to impress people or make scores?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

at this point just practice what is going to be required... probably drag a hose, climb stairs, swing an axe or door ram, carry or drag another person, etc. so perhaps things like climbing stairs with a weight vest. drag, push, and pull a sled or weight of some sort. do weighted carries and loaded carries. swing a sledge or axe. flip a tire. etc.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
David Sharad

Profile:

Exercise is very important to improve health and fitness. Go for running, walking at least 30 to 45 minutes in a day. Practice push ups, bench press, chair squats, cable stretching and band resistance. It make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, improve physical performance, improve heart functions and mental health and give you fit body.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sharad View Post
Exercise is very important to improve health and fitness.
Thank goodness that someone has finally recognized this.

- Mark
Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
David Sharad

Profile:

Go for running, walking at least 30 to 45 minutes in a day. Practice push ups, bench press, chair squats, cable stretching and band resistance. It make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, improve physical performance, improve heart functions and mental health and give you fit body.