CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Brian Strump

Profile:
CF Kids

We're finally taking the plunge into CF Kids. I will have one full time coach in charge of running this program.

Any advice in regards to what some charge(in relation to your adult memberships), frequency, how you set up financials(punch cards vs. month to month), marketing, etc.

I've already decided to start the age split as 4-7, 8-11 for starters. I'm sure that will change as we grow. We already have plenty members that will bring the kids to get it started.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Luke Conner

Profile:
Re: CF Kids

I would rethink your age split. We have a 3 - 5 group and the attention span of the younger kids is very limited. I would probably go 5 or maybe 6. We currently do 3 - 5 and 6 - 12. If we had more space and time available I would split 6 - 12 into two different groups as their abilities vary greatly and it becomes tough to keep it fun for the younger kids while keeping it challenging for the older ones.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Coming from a gymnastics coaching background I think preschool age of 4-6 sounds alright. Many 7yo can hang with older kids but 3yo can be very trying especially ifcthey arent in preschool yet.

Ideally, I think we'd see age splits of 4-6, 7-9, 10 and up but I can understand why you want two from the get go.

In gym we generally keep kid:coach ratio at 6:1 and 7/8:1 for schoolage. Sometimes you can manage 9:1 as they get older but it's optimal.

I know ny friend's box offers family rates with kids sometimes. Have to stay competitive when mom, dad, kids all go.

Seriously I would not do 3yo. Those are the classes that sometimes I have dreaded coaching. Luckily the 3yo were often 40/45 minutes vs 55/60 minutes.

I only ended up coaching them bc we didn't have anyone else to and the hrs helped.

I would look up what the local gymnastics gym charges for a 1hr recreational class or McDojo charges. Here in CA, thats often 50-60$/month for once a week, sometimes 90 for twice.

Sibling discounts of 10-20%.

Drop in punch cards maybe but you want to keep at least 3-4 kids enrolled. When only 1 or 2 show up, it can become a long class. Punchcards could easily end up with an overbooked class unless you have a scheduling system.

Marketing. If you can create or build an "in" from a local school, private, or preschool it can be a goldmine.

Offer a field trip of 1 hr, $5/head and pass out flyers. Sometimes it can be hard for schools to allow you to have flyers at their school.

This is often done by grades in the mornings. 9@M, 10@m etc. Sometimes you can push the schoolage ratio to 10:1

Most MA/gymnastics offer a trial class. Also, bring a friend can be good too.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Luke Conner

Profile:

Our 3 - 5 class is only 20 minutes, and we don't do any one thing for more than 3 or so minutes.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Man, I have never heard of a 20 minute class.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Luke Conner

Profile:

That's actually what they recommend at the CrossFit Kids cert. They don't have much attention span at that age, so we don't do any activities for more than a few minutes. Even then they get distracted easily. They love it though and the parents always bring them back.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Joey Dussel

Profile:

It seems like the idea of a short class could be a great one! Parents might really dig that too if it gives them a short "break" where they can have someone else keeping eyes on their kid for a few minutes...without being so long as to take a bunch of time from the parent's schedule while he or she waits.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If a childcare system was in place, sure. Otherwise it's hardly worth the travel commute unless you are super close.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

so ill say the basics but...go get your CF Kids cert sir!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
We're finally taking the plunge into CF Kids. I will have one full time coach in charge of running this program.

Any advice in regards to what some charge(in relation to your adult memberships), frequency, how you set up financials(punch cards vs. month to month), marketing, etc.

I've already decided to start the age split as 4-7, 8-11 for starters. I'm sure that will change as we grow. We already have plenty members that will bring the kids to get it started.
Brian-
My gym's first week of CF Kids is officially in the books. I'm the only CFK certified trainer at my gym, currently. I have one other signed up for a cert in December. My suggestion: get at least 2 more certified trainers ASAP. Running CF Kids takes way more attention/energy than coaching adults.

We have been doing it on a drop-in basis so far, that way they get what they pay for (if the kids show up, the parents get charged). All kids in the program have parents who are members.

I would suggest that if you have less than 4 kids, do not run the group. We had one group with 3 this week, and that's a really tough number when "game time" comes.

Ohh - and the single most popular piece of equipment in the gym when the kids are here: gymnastics rings. Don't know why, but they LOVE THEM!