CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Jeffrey Hensley

Profile:
Renegade diet/Intermittent Fasting with Paleo/Primal

Just want to start this off by saying I have never tried the diet nor read the book so I was hoping I could get some insight as to what it is. Basically I have seen it floating around for a while and was wanting to know if anyone had some information on it as well as whether people live by it or have tried it before. I was thinking of utilizing it as a way to clean up my diet even more than what it is now, as well as focus on giving myself more natural energy in the A.M. rather than having to rely on things like coffee or a meal so much. I am fairly busy in the mornings with training sessions and classes as well as basketball games currently on the weekends, but mainly in the afternoon/evening. Would this be something to consider doing with my current situation and if not could someone maybe start by informing me more about it? I'll stop here and see where this thread goes as I hope to take this a long ways in helping others as well as myself. -Thanks everyone!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Jorge Chapas

Profile:
Re: Renegade diet/Intermittent Fasting with Paleo/Primal

I've done some experimenting with IFF and the warrior diet, essentially about 16-18 hour fasting period (maybe with protein powders during the "fasting" period) and then a 6-8 hour eating period, where you eat clean, and the sort of foods is dictated by what your activity level, protein vegetables carbs if its on a workout day, protein fats carbs (& vegetables) if it's an off day..

Pros:
Saves time, may help dealing with "hunger" issues (ie, feeling hungry constantly during your day due to carb / metabolism derangement) -- which helps with being disciplined to eat cleanly. Training in a fasted state (with protein 10-20 minutes prior to training with BCAAs) has been highly discussed and in my opinion is really beneficial both during the session and recovery, especially when followed by protein vegetable carb eating.

Cons:
Not proven, results may vary, not connected with weight gain or weight loss, difficult to fit all your food in a small window, not the HIGH performance diet a person who does crossfit and has strength programs one would want for recovery and muscle building.

So, if your goal is to save time or you want to incorporate IFF to certain situations, my experience says go for it. But if your goals are long term and complex, I would recommend improving your overall diet and going with a standard paleo/primal diet without IFF.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Paul Ryan

Profile:

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question.

When doing IF, say 16 8, is it really just a way of timing meals and has no extra fat loss benefit than if you ate the exact same amount of calories spread throughout the day, or does the fasting period help? Lower insulin levels etc aiding fat loss?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Jorge Chapas

Profile:

Depends..

If you're talking about fat loss as it's popularly known: someone who is overweight and wants to lose weight to be at a healthy level. In my opinion, IFF would not lead to fat loss. It would provide some useful psychological advances, since most people who are overweight have urges to eat, which may or may not be related to our body's desire to stay at the same weight. But, IFF would assist those people overcoming that constant urge to eat throughout the day, but fat loss is more closely linked to healthy, balanced eating. Eating a good breakfast starts the metabolism for the day, cutting carbs for inactivity and increasing fats to boost the internal temperature of your body, and having a low sugar / carb dinner if inactive. Those are the sort of things that cause weight loss.

If you're talking about an individual with a steady metabolism and healthy weight, who is trying to cut down, 16hr fast-8 eating, where the athlete has BCAAS prior to training but ending the fast, and followed by a heavy prot-carb meal, that would lead to the most efficient diet to taking advantage of everything you eat. (IE. using the BCAAS for building muscle, carbs and protein for recovery, and even if you follow the initial post workout meal with an additional prot-carb meal, that would aid in overnight digestion).. Therefore you are getting the most out of everything which minimizes waste and tends to maintain/increase leanness.

IFF is not easy, and getting the most out of it, isn't easy. And a lot of people including Robb Wolfe, who did IFF, and me, will tell you that it is just not consistent enough to promote. I do IFF one of those days when I wake up late and can't make food because it is effective, but not every day because it's not consistent.

Last edited by Jorge Chapas : 02-06-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

one thing to remember is not all diets are made, designed, or intended to be used with every type of exercise, activity, lifestyle, etc... and vice versa. most that recommend IF type programs do not recommend CF style workouts... and most that recommend CF style workouts don't recommend IF style eating... also, paleo is not necessarily meant to go with IF. not that it can't, but it might not be ideal. i am sure there are people that do paleo IF with CF and it will work fine, but that doesn't mean it will work fine for everyone. bottom line with diet is that you will have to play around with it, try different things, and find what works for you. also realize it may take a while to get things shifted. some people metabolisms adjust faster than others.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Michael Lennox

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Renegade diet/Intermittent Fasting with Paleo/Primal

I fast every day till about 2 and I got amazing results. Training fasted is no biggie, crossfit workout or not.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lennox View Post
I fast every day till about 2 and I got amazing results. Training fasted is no biggie, crossfit workout or not.
like i said, each person will have to see for themselves. if i train fasted it doesn't work, regardless of what i am doing.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Tony Greene

Profile:

I find IF to be extremely convenient. However, it does take some time to adjust your body. I eat one big meal everyday somewhere between 6-8pm. Plenty of BCAAs, a teaspoon of coconut oil and coffee pre-workout at 7am with no ill effects even during my toughest CF-style workouts. It may not work for some, but the body composition changes are positive for me. Also, research shows many different neurological benefits as well. It's interesting reading if you guys have any interest in the subject.