CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-01-2004, 02:16 PM   #1
Matt McManmon

Profile:

I currently weigh 141 flat with 8% body fat. I want to wrestle 133. I need to get my body fat to about 4-5% which would put me about 3-4pounds over weight, which i could easily knock off in water weight the day before or of a competition.

I have until october 6th to drop these 4 pounds. so i could do an easy 1 pound per week. how should i adapt my eating to lose weight? any tricks,foods, or info on timing would be grately appreciated.

Old 09-01-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
Roy Taylor

Profile:
I reccomend following a traditional zone diet approach. Have you read/or are familiar with the zone?

In my opinion, thats a lot of weight to lose with a BF as low as yours. I imagine you'd be kinda weak at 133. I'd say try to see how low you can get your bodyfat without sacrificing strength, and decide from there whether or not its worth it at 133.

Cheers

Roy
Old 09-01-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Matt McManmon

Profile:

Im fairly familar with the zone. I have the book on high dose fish oil and also the journal on the zone. I'm not as familar with different strategies people have used successfully.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
If we have any competition Oly lifters, the would be a good source for weight-losing crash-programs..
Old 09-02-2004, 04:56 AM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

Matt, it sounds like you already know how much you can safely lose by dehydrating. If you are lucky you can diet off a few pounds, you'll almost certainly lose some muscle and some fat. Keep in mind that if you lose weight on a carb restricted diet, you might not be able to dehydrate as much as you normally do; the low carb diet has a diuretic effect. Also, keep in mind that depleting carbs a few days before weigh in can take off more water than just sweating and spitting the day before.

I'm sure you have considered this, and I don't know what spot your team needs you in, but couldn't you also gain a few pounds and wrestle at 141?
Old 09-02-2004, 06:42 AM   #6
George Shelton

Profile:
My 2 cents worth would be to work hard at getting stronger and stay at 141. You have no where to go weight wise if you are truly at 8% BF. To lose essentially 50% of your BF without losing muscle in a month is not realistic. Normal physiology won't allow you to go beyond a certain set-point body fat wise. Most normal people who are not on "special supplements" would need more time than the amount you have available to lose that much bodyfat. The body will preferentially begin to liberate endogenous protein vice allowing your BF% to go too much lower.
Years ago I wrestled in the AAU, High School and D-2 level in college and have coached off and on dependent on my deployment schedule since 1983 so I have some experience with making weight. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:50 AM   #7
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
Matt,

i wrestled in college,not to long ago, for 4 years and i know where your at, i had to move to 197 because i could not make weight at 184 following my soph. year and stay above the legal %BF. it turns out that i did better at 197 than 184 anyway but that was my situation.
one thig i will say is that if you do use a diet that is primarily protein in a dehydrated state, it could lead to kidney problems, specificaly kidney stones. just FYI.
anyway good luck with your season.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:06 AM   #8
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I have a question for you guys - I am aware that dehydration effects physical performance. So does this happen when losing water to make weight? I would guess if you can weigh in the day before you can rehydrate just fine but what about when weigh in is the morning of the competition?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:49 AM   #9
Brian Hand

Profile:

Beth, it does not seem to take to long for most people to bounce back from a little dehydration, night-before weigh ins it's usually no problem, same day weigh-in, there can be an issue if there is very little time between weigh in and the starting bell. I have even heard of two-days-ahead weigh ins, which just seems like a terrible idea, its going to encourage excessive dehydration and maybe some bogus world records.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:17 AM   #10
Matt McManmon

Profile:

The current rule as of now is that competition must begin exactly one hour after weigh ins. This rule does not apply to tournaments. Weigh in are still held same day for tournaments regardless. Officials also must be present for the weigh ins.

As far as dehydration goes the less time your dehydrated the better. you never wanna go for more the 24 hours being seriously dehydrated. If you can shed the weight the sameday as the weigh without being getting tired from the effort then thats usually the best option. In my experience i usually shed the water weight right before going to bed so that the effects of the dehydration dont bother me until i wake up the next morning