CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Alan Siebuhr

Profile:
Cutting weight for meets

Hey guys! I figured this forum was the best to ask this question, but heck, I could be wrong. Anyway, I'm currently hovering around 165# and there's a weightlifting meet at a nearby Crossfit gym Saturday after next.

I'm not looking for any miracles, but if I can cut down to 69kg in any way (while not completely starving myself), that would be great. However, I'm assuming that it's not very easy.

Any ideas? This is my first meet.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Cutting weight for meets

13# in 10 days? Good luck with that. Isn't there a weight class close to 165?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

I've wrestled for 10 years and I'll tell you right now that cutting that amount of weight most likely will not pay off. The edge you'll have in body weight will be taken away via loss of strength. Plus it will hurt you in the long run (it might take a while to get that strength back). If I were you, I'd stay at your current weight or lose no more than 5 lbs.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Alan Siebuhr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
13# in 10 days? Good luck with that. Isn't there a weight class close to 165?
I figured that much. My olympic WL friend is telling me to cut down that much, but I went without carbs this morning and felt like hell. never again.

The answer to your question is yes; it is the 77kg class.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Alan Siebuhr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
I've wrestled for 10 years and I'll tell you right now that cutting that amount of weight most likely will not pay off. The edge you'll have in body weight will be taken away via loss of strength. Plus it will hurt you in the long run (it might take a while to get that strength back). If I were you, I'd stay at your current weight or lose no more than 5 lbs.
Again, I figured this. I do find it a good idea to figure out how to cut weight for future meets, but I'm not going to cut that much. The only reason I was considering was because I could get a high enough total for the AO, but it's not really worth it to me. I can wait.

I posted this in extreme excitement. Slap me pwz.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
John C Corona

Profile:

Alan, thanks for posting this question. I've wondered the same thing recently. When I 'was' 165, I figured the 69kg was just out of reach. It's why I decided to hang around 170#(77kg). Well, I got a little too lax and got to like 177#, and was PR'ing like crazy. Now I am trying to dial back the calories, and being back around 170#, I am missing weights that were easy a week or two ago. I never really played with bodyweight before, but gaining just 5 more pounds does wonders for my lifts it seems. I also didnt know your numbers were that close to AO qualifying numbers...makes me feel kinda good (my #'s are similar). Enough rhetoric.

I have a follow up question...if one has 5-6 lbs to lose, how long before a meet, would you choose to start cutting. Like whats the ideal taper scenerio. Might one take a month before the meet, so the weight loss is slow, and strength stays same? Or do some just cut the week before the event with trash bag running and bubble gum (remembering wrestlers back in high school)?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

10lbs in a week?!

You could try a hydration and ketogenic diet.

It will suck though...and you will have to pedialyte, caffeine and eat after weigh-in.

Is it worth it that much to you? Now if you could win something...maybe. A medal, bragging rights...but all of that just to say you competed as a 69kg? Nah.

For one meet, especially your first, I wouldn't do it. If it was to beat a friend that was a fellow 69er and bragging rights...well, maybe ok.

For a meet like Nationals or the American Open...sure but of course you should be slimming down way ahead.

Right now I'm just under 165 and figuring on trying to just lose a pound every week or other till spring. Get to around 155, so a few weeks ahead of the last qualifier for national's, I could make weight.

All depends on how the lifts go up. Still need 40 some odd kilos.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
Michael Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Siebuhr View Post
....but if I can cut down to 69kg in any way (while not completely starving myself), that would be great. However, I'm assuming that it's not very easy.
Making weight for a meet can be a challenge. If you lose too much weight, too fast it can make you weak. Starving usually doesn't improve performance.

If you eat proper portions, you can naturally achieve the proper proportions. I made a free Lean Body Mass Calculator and a Meal Calculator at:

http://www.trackshoesforsprinters.com/BodyCalc.php
http://www.trackshoesforsprinters.com/MealCalc.php

Hope this helps, MTG
Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Your friend is not giving you good advice. Unless you have some chance to set a record or the like why bother cutting for a meet? In other words, you are doing a local meet and are likely an average lifter and only really competing against yourself (trying to set a meet PR etc.).
Old 10-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

^^^

Exactly, Chris.